Defense against side headlock

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Smitfire, Jul 3, 2006.

1. faster than you

faster than you Valued Member

first relax as he won't be able to choke you.
    to escape: trip him from behind, side control, bridge w/ your arms on his face, armbar.

2. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Hahah...yeah seen that before.
    Anyone know why the TKD dude spazzed out like he did when he hit the floor?

4. The Decay of Meaning

The Decay of Meaning Valued Member

If you are being chocked, you can try to move your chin under his arm. That will make you breath more easily.

One technique I learned 5 years ago during a 3-day self defence course was moving the leg closest to his in between his two legs, then taking the leg farthest away, lifting him up in the air, and then falling, I think, partly on top of his body. I think that move could possibly get the wind out of his lungs for a few seconds. Then do some sort of follow up or something. At least that I think will get you out of that tricky situation.

It's somewhat similar to the technique performed in Lindsay's clip.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2006
  5. Slindsay

I think a combination of not being able to breath, being in immense pain and thinking you have a broken neck can do that to a guy.

6. kmguy8

kmguy8 Not Sin Binned

Ok… the side headlock

I’ve seen lots of crap defenses over the years for this position. The classic Karate (my Kempo days) and KM approaches of the hand to the face (pressure point under the nose, etc..) is pure crap.. and I used to teach this, lol… (it fails 90% of the time at full speed.. the attackers head is too mobile.. don’t trust me… try it out where the attacker has full speed takedown options… then try out my advice below.. and FYI KM BB1 has two “other” headlock options neither as good as what follows)

Let’s think about where the danger is.. then move from there…

From my way of thinking there are two distinct dangers of this position. The first is that he’ll release and strike you in the face repeatedly with his left arm while holding you in position with the other… the second is that he will twist or drag you to the ground (worst case with a hip throw by the head with you on the bottom)…

OK.. so first goal is to stabilize and defend your face. As mentioned previously, defending the face by turning it towards their body and burying the chin is best… leaves only the hard skull for them to punch. The idiot that posted about being able to breathe by going the other direction is a fool. You can breathe fine from this position and have zero chance of being choked out from it. Your face should see their belly… totally pressed into them.. air is not your concern here…

To further add to your control of the situation I highly recommend taking arm and reaching around their back and “hooking” the bicep of the attacker. If they release to punch you.. they will be unable to do so with any force at all this way.

Additionally, it is the first strong move of stability on your part. They had a couple of ways to take you down before.. now, they pretty much have to take you “head forward to unbalance you” and with the arm secured you’ll be able to roll-through is they try it with any real conviction….

From here you can pull the arm at the bicep and underhook the right leg twisting them down to the ground ending in side control or back control…. The takedown options become endless from this position… try it out.. you’ll see

You can also grab and strike the groin with no fear of counter strikes…. You can even lift from the groin for the takedown in certain cases (very painful way to go down)…

No matter what.. get stable.. protect the head… and secure the arm… from there the position has little advantage for the attacker.. and in fact you are in the better position moving forward.. almost any new position that develops will leave you in either side control or back control.. either standing or on the ground depending on the way things go down….

edit - mad props to lily for pointing the arm secure out earlier.. missed that or I'd have referenced it in the abpve earlier than this.. and scrom too (4 the slam)... although, rebel wado.. there are plenty of other takedowns that do not require you to lift them... 140lb man... *shivers* hit the weightroom man :D

7. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

Hey man, I'm working on it. These things take time :p.

8. Slindsay

The more I think about it the more I reckon that the guy doing the headlock is actually in the worse position unless he can really sink the choke in. Off the top of my head I can think of Tai Otoshi, a body slam as seen in my earlier vid, a supplex and simply wriggling out and taking the guys back (Depends on if you can wriggle out or not though :D ).

9. Oversoul

Oversoul Valued Member

Has anyone ever seen someone choked out by a side headlock? It doesn't seem impossible, but I'd be more worried about punches, the guy applying the headlock tripping me and throwing me to the ground, or him moving behind me for a choke.

Even then, it's only so good for any of those. There are more dangerous positions to be in.

There was a guy I knew in wrestling who liked using this for the throw and my counter would be what I used back then: step and turn in an attempt to get in front of him--if it works, the problem is solved, and if he resists, isolate his arm and pry my head free so that I can take his back.

10. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

I believe one of the view points of this thread is that the attacker is generally taking the stance of a school yard bully, putting the person in the headlock and giving him a noogie or punching him in the face, or using the lock to control the person as they move them around the room. Maybe people are thinking there is a submission hold from there.

The above situation is a valid situation but IMHO, it is not the situation to be as concerned about. The "neck" lock is used as a means to a take down and from there things can get much worse.

Just one example:

[​IMG]

In such a case there is no time for a lot of these counters.

The hand over the arm and placing the middle finger under the nose as you stand up straight, followed by a palm strike under the side of the chin (so that thumb points down) I have used at full speed many times. It does work, but only if you use it right away as the opponent starts to put their arm around you and they aren't thinking about your counter attack. Alternatively it works right after you hit them in the right places and they are momentarily stunned allowing for you to stand up straight. Although I do consider that them biting the fingers might be a problem. We wear mouth guards so I guess I never had a problem with biting... still it seems a valid concern when there is no mouth guard.

Also one might need to reach under the chin instead of the nose because, there are individuals that have equatorial noses that do not have much of an extension to place the middle finger under. Of course the chin may be a hard to get target.

Anyway, back to basics... The trapping of their elbow between your head and shoulder is VITAL if they start to get a good grab on you. This immobilizes their arm so that you can move. If you don't do this, you can move but they can move with you and you get no where.

I will explain this "turtle" move in more detail as taught to me:

1. The first thing to be accomplished is to imagine that one is a turtle and is retracting the head and neck back into the shell.

2. The next step is to raise the shoulders up and then turn the head to tuck the chin not only to the chest but also to be tucked against one shoulder or the other.

Compressing the neck to the body and raising the shoulder changes from working just with the head and neck to working with the entire body as a whole which nullifies the effect of the lock.

3. After this one can apply pressure to the opponent's forehead and move in a circular footwork pattern. An opponent can deal with side to side, back and forward, and linear movements easily, but they will have a very hard time dealing with a circular motion.

11. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

There is a submission from here but not a high percentage one or one you see very often.
    This picture shows it...

[​IMG]

Carlos Newton choking Pat Miletich at UFC 31. Note how Miletich's head is not tucked into Newton's body and therefore the forearm is over his throat.
    It's mainly something untrained fighters do to be fair.

12. Oversoul

Oversoul Valued Member

I haven't seen that fight, but from the picture it looks like they're on the ground (or Carlos Newton is on his knees, at least) where Militech would not be able to turn. Standing up and trying to turn a headlock into that choke wouldn't be so practical.

13. KaratekaAndy

KaratekaAndy Male (95% of the time)

This may sound stupid, but this is what I'd do:
    1. Reach up and grab his ear
    2. Pull downwards on his ear while stepping back
    3. Keeping hold of his ear, turn and side kick him in the face
    4. As he reels, let go of ear and kick to groin
    5. Walk away knowing you actually pulled this off :D

14. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Like I pointed out before, IME, there is much greater danger of submission if they get you to the ground. Neck cranks are probably the most likely conclusion.

Here is another example of what can happen with this lock from all fours:

[​IMG]

Picture and sequence from this web site: http://www.lockflow.com/article_view.php?id=491

15. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

i was not going to coment on this thread....the technique is to hard to explain

but since you started and i always get along with you...im going to try to give this a try.

this is from bjj....it works so well ..that i want people to head lock me now.

step 1. reach around and grap his outside arm(or body or what ever ..really dont matter). take your inside footkinda behind his leg and takehim strait back......you have to kinda twist it...but he should fall on his side with you still in the head lock but on his top side......

step 2. putyour knee in his side....take your top hand and put your forearm in his face....put the other hand in your hand and push him off.

step 3 as sooon as you get enough space...or his hand come apart.....take you other leg and put it over his head (you know have an arm bar) so straighted up.

a good guy will feel itcomingand release hwn he hits the ground.

on offense never...never reach back for a head....this is why

sometimes i will actuall thread my head in there to get that arm bar....its that good a move!!!!!!!

kinda hard to explain so try it and if your stuck ask me a detail

16. xxionx

xxionx Forgotten In Chaos

OOOOOOHHHHH I KNOW!!!! act like you pasted out... :D

17. koto_ryu

koto_ryu Common sense is uncommon

Straight out of Marine Corps LINE training and MCMAP:

Hand closest to his body goes under his chin, other hand goes behind the crook of his knee. Push to your rear and down with the hand on the chin, use the other hand to scoop the knee and drop him. It's simple and it works, good enough for me.

18. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Yeah that's the one I like. With the armbar addition from mai tai. They work well together.

19. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Heres one that I read in a self defence book. If your opponent is a male grab his dick and break it.

20. Slindsay

You know thinking about it thats the last thing I would do. Assuming you strike from behind and reach between his legs to do it theres a really good chance the guy will bring his thighs together and trap your arm between his legs (Trust me here, men have blindingly fast reactions when damnage to that area of the body becomes a possibility).

Iif that happens your left with one hand trapped between the guys legs, the other stuck on the outside and unable to reach anything and one really ****ed of guy holding you in a position where you are now at a distinct disadvantage.