Deathmatches

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Scarlet Mist, May 27, 2005.

1. Albert

Albert Banned Banned

I'd fight in one, If i had good reason. Of course that reason would probably only be good, to me.

2. shootodog

shootodog restless native

i didn't know you did fma.

3. Albert

Albert Banned Banned

Huh? oh, no, all i saw was deathmatch and thats what i was talkin bout, haha. :)

4. shootodog

better look before you post friend. fma'ers who say that they're willing to go for a deathmatch usually translates to: " c'mon challenge me to one! i dare you!"

and the usually promptly get challenged to one by one of the "old men".

5. Albert

Albert Banned Banned

Eh? Well im not sure anyone here is going to challenge me to a deathmatch..

6. deCadena

deCadena New Member

a lot of the old folks still hold to practices of old like when they ask you to show some moves then you end up crossing your arms or weapon that is a challenge. A master would usually light up and grap his weapon...

Cheers!

7. shootodog

you'll never know. you'll never know. there are "old men" in the CT area.

8. old timer

old timer Just well worn !

I have just bought a new machette and I would love to try out this new technique that I have been practising! :D

9. Albert

Albert Banned Banned

have just bought a new machette and I would love to try out this new technique that I have been practising!

Well you can try and kill me with it if you want, it would be good practice.

10. shootodog

i'm sure it will be good. all 40 seconds of it.

11. BackFistMonkey

BackFistMonkey Valued Member

36 seconds holding a two foot blade seems a little long to tease someone .... I think you meant 4 seconds ....

but on a different note it may take atleast least long with me ..... I would be running and hiding ...

12. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Really:) I suggest you do a little more research in to what FMA is all about before posting questions like this. Maybe when I am over your way next year I can talk to you about it. It may be a computor but old folk use them too........

Also just a thought, they may not challenge you, but from what you have posted they could well see it as a chellenge that has been offered, which brings the question of offering and receiving the challenge in the first place, this too has rules.

My adivice is, be carefull how you tread, your may step on someones toes.

Best regards

Pat

13. shootodog

not at all. it's more like 36 seconds of running after the other guy with your itak. after that, it's all down hill from there.

lol. careful pat. you're starting to sound like an "old man". :p

14. Pat OMalley

Oh dear!:eek: , OK I will just pop off and give the 28 year old wife a cuddle, that'll make me feel young again.:D

OK, back again and feeling much younger;)

Best regards

Pat

15. Lucy O'Malley

Lucy O'Malley The Mother Art

Rules of a deathmatch (Challenge)....as I understand it:

1. A challenge is issued....sometimes to settle a disagreement or to proove who has the better style or who is the better Eskrimador and many other reasons aside like an insult of honour or the honour of the FMA....etc...etc.
    (There would have to be good reason for the challenge in the first place, because of the severity of the outcome to one or both parties)

2. A challenge is accepted.....the challenged then has the right to decide the place, the time, the weapons to be used and the method of winning the challenge (How to decide who has won) e.g. Knockout, first blood, loss of weapon, submission/surrender or even in extreme cases....death.

3. A challenge is refused....(an unwritten rule of refusal)....if you refuse a reasonable challenge (not just a willy nilly off the cuff opportunist, trying to make a quick name for themselves by challenging everyone, which only shows immaturity and stupidity which will often be dismissed unless insults by the challenger are looked upon as damaging to the character of the other party) you are expected to cease all practice, participation and instruction of the FMA, after all if you are not willing to back up what you know (If you cannot make it work, how can your students make it work) then you should have kept quiet in the first place and not antagonised the other party which may have caused the challenge to come about in the first place.

4. It is not so much the winning of the challenge that counts, although obviously it is better to win than lose....it is the willingness to participate in the challenge that is more important....a matter of Amor-propio (pride and honour), without this you will more than likely lose all respect from your piers.

5. And it is not unusual (should arnis be a big part of you life and you do not want to cease training) to go and train and become a student of the winner of the challenge afterall, his style has prooven to be better than yours.

And at the end of the day.....don't we all want to train with the best.

Also....the person you challenge will not always be the person that you end up fighting...sometime they will close ranks within the group and nominate someone to fight on their behalf.

Even when FMA as a whole is insulted, the various different groups (even if you think they do not get on) will close ranks and join forces to protect the FMA honour....and you could be killed in the rush of challengers coming to your door.

But be careful, you could unknowingly issue a challenge or insult by being cocky (backhanded insults) ie.stating you would like to take part in a challenge or fight a certain individual or claim you are better than a certain individual or style etc...etc. You don't know they could be having a bad day.

You could say it in jest but remember different people, different cultures react in different ways....it may not be what you say, but how you say it that causes insult to others.

Again...take a look at the Philippine Culture thread, we have many different understandings of the same thing.

But please correct me if I am wrong on any part of this subject, as I am still learning different aspects of the art and culture of the Philippines and probably always will be.

Lots of love :love:

Lucy

16. shootodog

good post lucy. it pretty much covers it.

17. RedBagani

RedBagani Valued Member

Anyone can be brave on the internet. What I don't understand is how these courageous cyber warriors can issue general challenges to a death match but can still find a hundred excuses not to join a sport arnis tournament? If you can't be good in contact sports, what makes you think you can be better in a real fight?

18. soulguru

soulguru New Member

ehehe...good point, red...

19. Pat OMalley

Buy that 'MAPPER' a case of San Mig.

Well said RedBagani.

Best regards

Pat

20. Helena Handbask

Helena Handbask New Member

Wise words Pat