Dealing with counter punchers

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Myke_Tyson, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Myke_Tyson

Myke_Tyson Banned Banned

Hey guys. What is the best way to deal with a counter puncher?
    One of those tricky guys who are very observant, have good timing/reflexes, and seem to wait for you to punch THEM while they take advantage of any opening YOU might present to them.

???

Thanks.

2. stump

stump Supersub

Get good at faking. Then become a counter-puncher

3. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

I would think Mike Tyson would know how to deal with a counter.. :)

Would be good to know: what sort of strikes is he countering against? and are your strikes connecting?

4. Jamo2

Jamo2 The Louie Vitton Don

Use a lot of short sharp punches. Jab a lot.

Its more yourself you got to look at than him. Hes going to find it harder to counter if you position yourself right, have good defenses and hit him with fast enough shots.
    Get in range, hit him, get out, quick.
    Mix things up, if your predictable its all the more easier to counter.
    Are you keeping your non-punching hand up when punching? counterings useless if your hitting leather.

5. Myke_Tyson

Myke_Tyson Banned Banned

alright

Cool info guys.

COunter Punchers can be such pest to deal with, but fun tee hee :bang:

6. Skrom

Skrom Banned Banned

i used to spar with a guy who would counter a lot, and eventually i started countering his counters. for example, he would try to counter my jab by slipping to the outside and jabbing most of the time, so i would bait him and since i knew it was coming i could slip or parry his counter and hit him with a right. i think the only reason that worked out was because i sparred with him so often and already knew his style pretty well, so i don't know how useful that info is.

7. Myke_Tyson

Myke_Tyson Banned Banned

interesting

Your info is of value to me. But you are right, I am sure I will have to spar with this counter puncher more often to get in "sync" with his rhythm and such.

Thanks.

8. Crimson_Stone

Crimson_Stone Stay Puft

Is this counter puncher older or more experienced than you? He may just be feeling you out, learning what your bringing into the ring. I suggest you try the same. Work him over with the jabs and get a feel for the way he moves.

You may also need to spend some time in front of the mirror and with the coach to work out any kinks in your technique. Are your jabs leaving your chin exposed? Are you dropping your arm before returning to a gaurd position? Telegraphing? Just a few things to think about.

9. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Learn how to counterpunch.
    It's a basic of boxing.

10. SCP_Kensei

SCP_Kensei www.taintedlover.com

Stop playing the bull.

Play the runner, make hime come to you. Many counter punchers fight more or less off the back heel (at least figuritively if not actually), move in on him, tempt him to lash out then back off. Nothing frustrates a counter puncher mor ethan having nothing to counter.

11. Myke_Tyson

Myke_Tyson Banned Banned

I got owned

Thats exactly it. Not more older but it seems like he has more knowledge and experience. I just sparred him today and got whupped! I am not going to sugar coat it but tell you the plain truth; he dominated me!

And Yes I was told today i drop my guard while striking with the opposite hand. Say I jab with a left, my right guard would lower slightly below my chin and he would nail me! Bad habit is hard to break.
    So there are many faults in my ways.

BTW, this guy I spar with also has recently taken up Wing Chun so, he applies quick pak sau drills (slapping my attack hand out of his center and quickly countering with his own hits). This makes things even more challenging. His Pak Sau (parry) is elusive and deadly. Also, since I have picked up the bad habit of covering my head and exposing the top of my skull to him when he connects with ferocious combos. My eyes are off him while i do this so it makes his job a lot easier.

I got nailed in the nose, the lips, the chin, and he even got a good heart shot in.

I did horrible this time around.
    It seems like Wing Chun principles assisted him greatly in sparring too.

12. Myke_Tyson

Myke_Tyson Banned Banned

I got owned

Thats exactly it. Not more older but it seems like he has more knowledge and experience. I just sparred him today and got whupped! I am not going to sugar coat it but tell you the plain truth; he dominated me!

And Yes I was told today i drop my guard while striking with the opposite hand. Say I jab with a left, my right guard would lower slightly below my chin and he would nail me! Bad habit is hard to break.
    So there are many faults in my ways.

BTW, this guy I spar with also has recently taken up Wing Chun so, he applies quick pak sau techniques (slapping my attack hand out of his center and quickly countering with his own hits). This makes things even more challenging. His Pak Sau (parry) is elusive and deadly. Also, since I have picked up the bad habit of covering my head and exposing the top of my skull to him when he connects with ferocious combos. My eyes are off him while i do this so it makes his job a lot easier.

I got nailed in the nose, the lips, the chin, and he even got a good heart shot in.

I did horrible this time around.
    It seems like Wing Chun principles assisted him greatly in sparring too.

13. Jamo2

Shadowbox like youve never shadowboxed before to get that hand staying up.

Im not too sure about wing chun, but a good boxer should be able to get past those wing chun principles. Wing chun is all about straight lines, so throw some hooks, bob and weave and throw some punches from different angles. Stick and move, sounds like youre staying in range too long. The only time you should be in range is when youre punching.

The taking your eyes off him thing is natural. We are born with the unfortunate reaction of flinching. Itll come with time that you dont close your eyes when something comes towards your face.

Your still a beginner, stop over analysing things and enjoy yourself. It hardly raises eyebrows when a beginner gets beat. Its just a learning curve.

14. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

It sounds like you need a boxing coach standing on your head.
    The mistakes your making are basic beginner mistakes... sloppy guard, covering up head down etc.

You need a coach who can watch you and point those things out and correct them. This stuff needs to be drilled into muscle memory before you get pasted while sparring. At that point your just running on muscle memory and getting frustrated and as a consequence... pasted.

Go back to basics and work on perfecting each element of each technique.
    Let your coach know your having this kind of trouble.

15. Myke_Tyson

Myke_Tyson Banned Banned

Good news good news GOOD NEWS!

Hey guys! I got better news than yesterdays!

I sparred another good warrior today who has 5 years of sparring experience. Lets just call him Erik... He trained in boxing for 2 years and is also studying Wing Chun now (just like the guy who bloodied me on Saturday lol!).

Anyways so I attend my Wing Chun class and do the basic pak sau drills, and also some footwork our Sifu taught us. BTW, my Sifu also has a few years of boxing experience himself while he was in High School so, he gave me some pointers and hints.

At the end of class my friend Erik enters the class and I asked if he and I could spar him 2-3 rounds (3 minutes per round, 30 second breaks) while our Sifu observed my ways and corrects me between rounds.

So Erik and I both put on our gloves and begin to spar. Suddenly I evade Erik's punch and I connect with a hard 1-2 to his chin! Everyone observing yelled "Hey be careful!" I didn't mean to hit him hard but was still in survival mode from the previous day's bloody sparring encounter I had at my other friend's house (the one I got beaten up at).
    Anyways, round 1 continues and continues, I nail Erik once in the stomach, evade his left hand and hit him in the ribs, evade his right hand and nail him in his other rib. Not as hard as my 1-2 combo to his chin of course.
    Round 1 ends. Sifu gives us some pointers.

Round 2 begins. I hit Erik once again in the stomach and quickly move out. However, Erik does a feint and I duck without looking at him! He nails ME 3 times in the solar plexus and once in the stomache. Sifu ends it there.
    I did the same mistake like on Saturday with my other friend, I ducked without looking at my opponent! This is one habit I must fix!

At least I have guard up while striking with my opposite hand now.

Though I still duck blindly, I made a slight improvement in today's sparring session with my skillful friend "Erik".

Last edited: Sep 3, 2006
  16. Myke_Tyson

Myke_Tyson Banned Banned

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I'm just so surprised I was able to APPLY my 1-2 combo onto "Erik's" chin.

I've been mostly doing boxing conditioning so I wonder how the heck I did it!
    I guess a lot of repetition on the focus pads, shadow boxing, doing my homework outside the boxing club...?

THe thing is I was not even thinking about "Erik's" openings or how/when/where I'm gonna do it. I did not even think ABOUT the 1-2 combo. I didn't think about any combo's infact.

I just went in there and did my job.

Wow i am still amazed. Picture when I really really start sparring in the boxing club. I know I will learn so much more, plus improve. SOmetimes by the bloody hard ways again! lol

17. Skrom

Skrom Banned Banned

you know, there is a section for journals. people don't click on the counter punchers thread to read about your feelings and emotions.

18. Myke_Tyson

Myke_Tyson Banned Banned

???

Well I get frustrated when no one wants to respond and give any good input or opinions.

The latest post I got was the negativity you just sent me. I don't need that.

ANd this IS the BOXING FORUM no? I am simply looking for advice and positive discussions.

Not your negative remarks.

19. Skrom

Skrom Banned Banned

of course nobody's responding, you're not even talking about anything related to the topic anymore and you sound like a little kid. seriously, all the gushing is a little sickening. you've somehow turned this into your personal little masturbatory thread. if you really need to fish for compliments, do it in a thread called "look at me, i want attention" or your journal, not a thread about dealing with counterpunchers :rolleyes:

20. Jamo2

OK, skroms words are harsh, but i can see where hes coming from.
    It was all good, nobody minds giving advice. Hell we even LIKE it. But then when you brag about your latest achievements and we dont respond (simply because we have nothing to say) then you keep on going on and on, then thats no good.
    Congratulations, youve made a good boxing achievement, im sure there will be many more, now, any thing else we can help you with?

And by the way:
    LOL