De Cuerdas

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by ap Oweyn, Feb 22, 2005.

1. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Who here (if anyone) has experience with De Cuerdas?

Anything you can share? Everything from historical and conceptual information to personal thoughts and experiences is welcome.

I met a couple of De Cuerdas guros on Saturday morning at the Modern Arnis class. And I'm curious now. (I did one seminar on De Cuerdas donkey's years ago and quite dug it, by the way.)

Thanks.

Stuart

2. sercuerdasfight

sercuerdasfight Valued Member

which de cuerdas are you referring to?

3. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Huh. That's a good start. I wasn't aware that there were multiple De Cuerdas styles. I had assumed that I was talking about the style started(?) by Felicisimo Dizon. But perhaps I'm not.

In short, I dunno.

4. sercuerdasfight

i'm fimilar with dizon's style from my instructor, but i know the inyanan guys have something different. there also is tenio's de cuerdas and i believe the ilustrisimo guys have a sub set called de cuerdas.

5. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Okay, that was already more than I knew. Thanks.

Let's go with Dizon's De Cuerdas then. How does it differ (if at all) from other FMAs? Favoured ranges? Favoured weapons?

Whatever else you want to tell me about it would be good too.

Thanks.

Stuart

6. sercuerdasfight

bladed system
    the de cuerdas reffers to the power generation in the hip, kind of like the winding of a clock spring then the realise of the power.
    it's close range and arms and hands are held in tight to the body.
    don't reach out with your deflections,rather catch them close to your body.
    very strong emphasis on defense because it takes longer to develop.
    and a shuffling, stomping footwork. its what cabales serrada was developed from.

7. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Excellent. This is exactly the sort of thing I was hoping for. Thanks.

Okay, that corresponds with what I'd heard in that seminar. The drills (unlike the Doce Pares I'd done previously) emphasized not involving the live hand all the time. And if it were a blade, I would indeed be in less of a hurry to throw my hand in there.

Again, that's a bit different from what I'm used to. Good. That's the sort of thing I was wondering.

I'll be interested to see the footwork. I don't have any experience with Serrada either, though I had read (in Mark Wiley's book) that the two were closely related.

Thanks again Secuerdas.

Stuart

8. sercuerdasfight

no problem.
    yeah we keep the hand in until we bridge the gap, then we'll jab,check,or trap.

where did you see de cuerdas at and from whom?

9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I don't know, I'm afraid. The seminar I did was about 10 years ago. So I couldn't remember that bloke's name to save my life. The two guros I met the other day gave me some written material that presumably has their names on it. But I haven't had a chance to read it yet. (In my defense, I have a 3-week-old baby, so I'd slept about four hours, not consecutively, before I met these guys. I was a little out of my head.)

I'll pull out those materials when I get home and get back to you. I'll be interested to hear if the names ring any bells with you.

Stuart

10. sercuerdasfight

cool.
    but i doubt i'll know the names i have not met anyone who trains pure decuerdas.

11. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

No worries. I need to know anyway. After all, I did have a chat with the guy and I have NO idea what his name is. :)

12. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

So far from what has been described technique wise and application wise it also sound like some Balintawak I done many moons ago. Maybe same thinking/approach and just different name.

Also sound similiar to GM Bobby Taboada hands in close etc, if you see him move you'll see what i mean.

regards

Pat

13. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Looks like I've got a lot of reading to do. This is part of what prompted my earlier thread on FMA styles. Obviously, there's a lot of common ground between one FMA and another. But at the same time, I'm noticing some marked differences as well. I have no experience with Serrada or Balintiwak. And only about 3 hours worth of De Cuerdas.

Stuart

14. sercuerdasfight

stuart, if those guys are down by you i would be interested in driving down and training with them/you. let me know if you have contact info on them. thanx.

pat,
    i believe both arts were from cebu. so they could look alike, but i didn't think balintawak was a blade art.

15. bart

bart New Member

De Cuerdas in Cebu

Hey There,

There is a group of people that I was introduced to by my teacher in Cebu last year that does De Cuerdas style. They are out of Mandaue City. This is their website:

http://www.decuerdas.8k.com/

I didn't get a chance to talk with them too much myself last time, but they are on my list of people to see next time.

16. John J

John J Valued Member

DeCuerdas is not a sub-system in the Ilustrisimo system but more so a combat principle.

Although there a several meanings to DeCuerdas, we associate it with “winding” or “rebounding” as applied to offense and defense. In offense, we utilize the principle off an enganyo (feint) while in defense we “wind or rebound” off a deflection, block, parry etc.

Yours in the Arts,

Guro John G. Jacobo
    www.swacom.com
    www.bakbakan.com

17. sercuerdasfight

i just checked the link and don't think that is dizon's de cuerdas. one the link it says the gm learned from bacon, and those pictures looks like balintawak to me.

18. tsefreeflow

tsefreeflow New Member

Dizon De Cuerdas is really not what you described, you are referring to striking meathod called Corto. De Cuerdas is a blocking system that uses the body and apendages as support for the weapon in blocking. Why do you think Core Serrada people are among the best blockers and why Dizon made it through the cave. Just clarification :)

19. sercuerdasfight

can you describe your understanding of de cuerdas as a comparison?

20. tsefreeflow

tsefreeflow New Member

Comparison to what?