D'Amato Shift

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Pretty In Pink, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Pretty cool video about Tysons footwork:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tch0Ch1kd9g"]Mike Tyson and the D'Amato Shift - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2015
  2. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

3. Pretty In Pink

Wish I could take credit. Found it on the underground :p

4. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Haha I don't think I can cope with two forums in my life ;)

5. Botta Dritta

Botta Dritta Valued Member

Awesome. Love analytical clips like this. I don't think I would have the presence of mind to use the shift as a way to get into an opponents blind spot. Some serious training is needed to pull it off so effortlessly. Guess I know what I'm going to ask my coach to work on at 2:00 tommorow. Not sure it dove tails with my style but i'll give it a crack and report back!

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Anything involving Connor Rebusch and/or Patrick Wyman is golden.
    Also look out for Jack Slack and Lawrence Kenshin for first class video analysis, breakdowns and articles.

7. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Unless it involves Ronda Rousey vs Holly Holm :p

8. Pretty In Pink

Jack Slack is my hero.

9. belltoller

Agree - there's few, if any better than Slack - but despite the excellent writing and putting forth the arguments, I just canna quite accept his final conclusion on that one issue.

10. Pretty In Pink

Aye. I'm trying to find somewhere that will have Rousey by TKO.

11. belltoller

In Slack's breakdown? You could try cut 'n paste :evil:

12. Pretty In Pink

I meant as a bet :p Rousey by TKO first round. Would pay better odds.

13. Botta Dritta

Botta Dritta Valued Member

Ok I tried this in my 1 2 1 today firstly trying to simulate it with padwork, and attempted to use it in light sparring. Heres what I found.

1) I'm a southpaw so the body alignment for this is slightly different. It can still be done, but its slightly different than when you do it as an orthodox boxer. There is however one big caveat see point 4

2) its more intuitive to do as the clip says when chasing an opponent down. Infact I've probably done it already without realising it.

3) The distracting jab to elicit a response is almost a prerequiste to pull it off. The foot movement itself is fairy dynamic so while its a half beat faster than normal footwork it is not hard to spot from an opponents point of view so you need to keep them busy with something else.

4) I tried to pull it off during some sparring. Interestingly I only had the opportunity in the third round when my partner put me under some pressure, (which is the opposite of how tyson used his). Despite my original post it wasnt actually hard to to spot the occasion when to do it. The problem is the foot position. I shuffled and switched guard in one move but found I was slighly too far away for the hot/cold hooks off the rear (now lead hand) i wanted to do. Im not sure if this was due to me being south paw.
    Its not enough to have presence of mind. Your own distance and alignment have to be perfect.

So..fail.:cry: