Cuts and burns on fingers!

Discussion in 'Judo' started by littlebadboy, Jul 10, 2015.

1. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Valued Member

My son and I are BJJ newbies. We will be transitioning to Judo in a month. My son joined a gi training for the first time with himself in his new gi. After the session, he had cuts or burns(?) on his fingers right above the nails. I think this is because of grabbing the gi and the friction on the fingers is causing it. How do we avoid this? Or, how do we protect our fingers from this? I see some players with some kind of tape on their fingers. What are those?

Thought if asking because when we move to Judo, I think there will be a lot of gi holds and grabbing.

Thanks!

2. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

First time I trained judo I left rivers of blood down my opponent's gi. My finger joints were just rubbed RAW. This is after I had been training BJJ for two or three years. It's pretty intense, and the torsion that's applied can be rough. Athletic tape is an option, I find it often slips though, or traps in moisture making the skin even more delicate. What I found worked for me was just summoning up some of my inner "OSS" and working hard until I developed the calluses.

Edit: There's probably a better way though and I am just a big dumb meathead.

Edit 2: If there's a better way, please tell me. I don't want to be a meathead with bloody knuckles anymore.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

It's from gripping too hard, experience and technique plus a little callous will soon prevent this.

4. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

You won't have tape on in everyday life, youll just toughen up :)