Cung Le vs Scott Smith

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by Doublejab, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Anyone seen it? Search 'cung le vs scott smith' on Google and a link to a fight video will be the top result aside from the news.

Amazing fight, well worth watching. Some of the most incredible kicks I've ever seen in MMA.

2. Axelator

Axelator Not called Alex.

It was a really good fight. Le had the fight in the bag until he got lazy and decided to leave his chin out there. I think if he had stayed a bit more humble and agressive he could have finished him.

3. Kwan Jang

Kwan Jang Valued Member

For fourteen and a half minutes, Cung laid down one of the most spectacular and effective beatddowns in MMA history. He was totally pwning Scott Smith and all you could say about Smith was that he was really well conditioned and tough to stay in there and take a beatdown like that. Then Cung made the mistake of chin up and hands down and Smith saw his oppurtunity and took it. Depsite all the monster shots Cung landed that night, my guess is that the hardest kick of the night came from Cung kicking himself in the locker room after it was all over. It was obvious that at that point of the fight, he did not respect Smith's power and the thought that Smith even could hurt him was not on his mind.

4. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

he did an inside roundhouse kick

cung le is my new hero

props to scott smith for winning the fight. that's some fighting spirit right there. good sportsmanlike conduct too

5. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

He was looking tired from the second round on. I was honestly surprised he kept pushing with those kicks till the end. He was in danger from round 2 on, and I'm surprised he held on as long as he did.

Even though Cung landed some good shots, Scott wasn't in obvious danger of being put away through the entire fight. In addition, Cung was trying to look all cool with the Roy Jones hands. I thought rule number 1 was keep your damn hands up. I was honestly more impressed with Scott. He didn't look nearly as cool as Cung, but he busted that head, and that's all that matters at the end of the day.

6. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

Anyone who watched Scott Smith's knockout of Pete Sell would be foolishish to underestimate him.

7. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

I watched his fight last night, and the one with Shamrock today, and I have to say that Cung Le is a serious fighter. You can't take that away from him. I think he's got the potential to be a top fighter in a top organization, but he needs to get some different opponents then guys in low-tier organizations with no ground skills. If I were his manager or his promoter, I'd be trying to get him fights that challenged him, not good stylistic matchups.

The only other thing I can say is that if he kept his hands up, he would have won that fight. That guy figured him out. Cung was ducking his head to the inside every time Scott threw a right, so Scott faked the right and put everything behind that left hook. He only found it because Cung leaves his hands down. After that, it was over. Scott swarmed him and knocked him out because Cung leaves his hands down.

8. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Part 1:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6NeiJJZ2kQ"]YouTube- Showtime- Strikeforce:Evolution Cung Le vs Scott Smith Pt. 1[/ame]

Part 2:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la_q1JyF9ZY"]YouTube- Showtime- Strikeforce:Evolution Cung Le vs Scott Smith Pt. 2[/ame]

9. Axelator

Axelator Not called Alex.

How is cungs ju jitsu? Ive seen him do some fancy takedowns in an exhibition before but I've never seen him off his back.

10. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

Cung has always left his hands down. I've been saying he has a crappy guard since he first showed up in san shou!

11. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

No one really knows, that fight represents the sum total of his competition experience on the ground. And who knows what he's like off his back...maybe if he ever fight someone other than a stand up fighter we'll find out...

12. JJMicromegas

JJMicromegas Valued Member

This fight convinced me that Cung Le is highly overrated. He is certainly fun to watch and has some amazing kicking technique but he is a martial arts guy not an MMA guy. Let’s break down his performance:

- He lacks cardio as he was seriously starting to fade late in the second round, despite not having taken much damage at that point.
    - His ground game is atrocious as witnessed in the first round when he had Scott Smith all turtled up and was feeding him hammerfists. The fight should have ended there yet Scott was able to just stand up and continue.
    - As mentioned above he needs to keep his hands up and work on his defense.
    - He doesn’t have a good chin and it seems like he mentally does not deal with getting hit very well. (ie: he panics when he takes a few shots).

Now don’t get me wrong, I really want to see fighters with unique styles flourish in this sport and I was cheering for Cung all the way in that fight. MMA certainly seems to be very uniform these days and it’s refreshing (and necessary) to have different styles succeed. I think Cung showed how devastating an unorthodox (with respect to MMA not if your doing other traditional martial arts) kicking technique can be. However, in order for Cung to actually succeed in MMA, he needs to get back into shape and work on his all around fighting skills.