Countering a straight blast?

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by Cain, Dec 1, 2002.

1. Cain

Cain New Member

Umm.......anybody lemme know wat exactly is 'chi sau' 'pak sau' n 'bong sau'????

|Cain|

2. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

chi sau is "senstive hands" this is basically an Excercise which trains u with senstivity...more than that it's hard to say... tho i hav done Chi sau/tui shou
    pak sau/bang sau r trapping techniques of Wing chun i m remember rite...
    -TkdWarrior-

3. johndoch

johndoch upurs

Chi sau is sticky hands were you and a partner face each other with your arms touching. when one person strikes the other dissolves the strike and returns with a strike. this is repeated in a cycle over and over. It can get tricky.

Bong sau is an elbow block. the mechanics are similar to looking at a watch imho.

4. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Chi sau is a lot about learning sensitivity, once you learn it you can apply it to many things, its not limited to the technique itself. I think, I never listen properly though :p

5. Cain

Cain New Member

Hmm.......chi sau seems to be sorta complicated to me......

|Cain|

6. johndoch

johndoch upurs

Yes it can get pretty complicated but the trick is to learn the basics and soon you be blocking instinctively using the feeling of your partners movements. Its keeping the flow with your partner that is hard to sustain

7. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Thousands of years of CMA evolution summarised in this way?

Ugh!

Deflections, not blocks. A world of a difference. The re-directed attack becomes a useful thing, as opposed to being merely cast aside.

" It can get tricky"

I need to come see you real soon John! :(

Andy

8. johndoch

johndoch upurs

Quote AndyMurray

"Thousands of years of CMA evolution summarised in this way?"

Sorry to upset anyone out there Im just making my own brief observations. Its hard to describe something as complicated as chi so I simplyfy :)

"Deflections, not blocks. A world of a difference. The re-directed attack becomes a useful thing, as opposed to being merely cast aside."

I would say the bong sau can be either a block or a delflection depending on the moment of a fight.

9. Andy Murray

Not upset about it John, it's a bit like saying a jab can be used as an uppercut to use your own terminology. Nothing wrong with it being used this way, but it's not a jab any more is it?

10. johndoch

johndoch upurs

hmm, if u read the MAP magazine under blocks/bong sau there is reference to the bong sau being called a block as it is in many books.

11. Andy Murray

I shall be having words with our esteemed Editor, though I suspect this was done for ease of general comprehension, and not meant to be taken literally.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

12. johndoch

johndoch upurs

your welcome that why I call it a block. For general comprehension I probably could nt have said it better myself.

13. slc

slc Banned Banned

Just a quick note about what I feel I got from Chi Sau.

I did a little Chi Sau with Andy and one of his students over Christmas, probably about 2 hours in total.

I feel I have learnt a lot from just this little amount of time. In fact I would go so far to say that I learnt more in a couple of hours from these guys that I have learnt in weeks from previous instruction.

Since this I've had a few chances to practice what I learnt. And what I've practiced is this...

1. Uprooting my opponent
    2. Tricking my opponent into opening a gap
    3. Being totally covered from attack
    4. Tiring my opponent

I can do all this succesfully against someone of a similar level. Not bad at all from a couple of hours training.

I realise against someone more experienced I would still, probably, not be able to do this... but as I said I haven't done very much yet.

I think the main reason I could learn so fast is from hands on experience with someone very good who could explain why and how he could beat me.

14. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

To counter a straight blast:

1. Front snap kick to the trunk
    2. Spin kick to the trunk
    3. Hookkick to the knees
    4. Side kick to the knees.

15. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Unless you stop the momentum first theres a good chance you'll end up going down

16. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

Just use Backward blast then. Then execute one of the counter attacks.

17. Ronin807

Ronin807 New Member

I suggest countering a centerline technique with a centerline technique. I would suggest a combination of the ideas stated previously.Take a second to back away from your opponent taking into account his rythm, he is going to follow you which turns your moment of defense to your advantage. The straight blast is a commited attack, he is commiting himself to following through with several punches, and even if they are fast, it's still only one arm at a time. Slip the jab and deliver your own straight blast in return, you will break your opponents rythm and put yours into place over his. If you have reservations about standing in the way of the barrage give your opponent a reason to stay high with his offense block a punch or two on your way back.. then plant yourself for a second, dip a little to keep your head out of the way as you get your opponent to close the gap and go low with a side kick to his leading leg, unless your fighting an actual gorrila your leg has a further reach than his arm.

18. Ronin807

Ronin807 New Member

GGGRRRRRRRR!!!! why do i keep posting on dead threads!!!! blast!!

19. Tireces

Tireces New Member

Spin kick?! You'll get run over while you're doing the spin, and then you'll be in an even worse position! As for my own suggestion, perhaps simply out-footworking the guy by opening a gap, and then get him with a jeet tek or low side-kick if he continues on coming. If he stops when you move off, then at the very least you got him to stop coming it at you, and there's a moment to think. Unless he is breaking stance, a quick backwards push-shuffle into a backwards slidestep will get you out very, very fast. If he is breaking his stance and just charging haphazardly, something of using his energy against him will likely be very useful.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2004
  20. Ronin807

Ronin807 New Member

I agree, it's never a good thing to expose your back to an opponent who is already on his way through your defense