Council's for Kali Eskrima Arnis Spread

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Pat OMalley, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

As many of the Mappers will know and for those of you who dont, the Philippine Council of Kali Eskrima Arnis Masters was set up in 2005 headed up by GM Roland Dantes, I myself was made a member of the PCKEAM in 2005 and in 2006 along with PG Peter Lewis helped to set up the British Council of Kali Eskrima Arnis Instructors.

Basically these councils are non political, non biased and non profit making organisations who sole aim is to promote the FMA regardless of style. So from there the BCKEAI started to host the UK FMA Festival where it's plan was to show case as many FMA styles who can follow the aims and objectives of the BCKEAI in a good light as possible, the Festival will be in it's 3 year in 2008 and has grown dramtically with the BCKEAI having over 15 styles represented on the Board of Directors.

Since then we have also seen the forming of Mandirigma Italia (Italian Council of Eskrima Kali Arnis Instructors) and the New Zealand Council of Kali Eskrima Arnis Instructors, both of whom have also grown from strength to strength and have numerous styles represented in their relative councils.

And more good news, recently the Scandinavian Counicl of Kali Eskrima Arnis Instructors has officially been set up in the past month, the Belgium Council of Kali Eskrima Arnis Instructors will be officially set up in January and we have the Irish, French and Finland Councils in the process of being set up in the near future, all of whome share one common purpose, to promote the FMA regardelss of styles, affiliation or organisation in a non politcal manner.

For more information on any of the Councils you can contact me either by PM or any of the Directors of the British Council via www.bckeai.co.uk

Best regards

Pat

2. fernast

fernast Valued Member

Hello Sir,

I 'll be interested to know who 's group is laying the fundations of the French Council of Kali Eskrima Arnis Instructors. We are not so much in this part of the world and we are still trying to get some more unified work.

You can PM me or I can wait for some offical announcements

Best regards
    Fernast

3. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Hey Fernast,

You have to have a certain number of posts in order to send and receive PMs. (I can never remember how many.) But yeah, if anyone has the lowdown, perhaps they can post it here.

Stuart

4. Peter Lewis

Peter Lewis Matira Matibay

Yes, nready, we certainly strive to work without any politics. It is not easy, but so far (since May 2006) it has worked extremely well and must still be working very well because the BCKEAI has more than doubled in size and other countries look to us for guidance. I think that what makes the BCKEAI work well is that it is FREE to join and all Directors give their time FREE. That way, we do it because of our commitment to the FMA and not our pockets.

Gumagalang

Peter

5. Pat OMalley

Well as pointed out it is working nicely within the BCKEAI and it's sister organisations around the world which are all branches of the PCKEAM (Philippine Council of Eskrima Kali Arnis Masters).

Unfortunetly politics within the FMA does raise it's ugly head and the BCKEAI has had more than it's fair share of politics targeted at it, but the directors and members of the BCKEAI are adament that they will let the politicians play politics and we will do what we do best, promote the FMA in a non biased and non politcal manor.

Many people said the BCKEAI and other Councils would not work and those of us that started it knew it was going to be hard work and we would have our critics, but few could even comprihend (even the members of the various councils) just how fast these councils would grow, but it just goes to show that in the greater sceme of things the majority of FMA afficianado's would rather train and promote the FMA as opposed to get involved in politics which I beleive is only promoted by a small majority of narrow minded people.

For more information about what the BCKEAI and other Councils around the world are all about check out www.bckeai.co.uk

As for the sparring side of your question, I was in my time both the World Vice President and World Tournament Director of WEKAF (one format) I am now the UK representative for WASA (World Arnis Sports Alliance-Kali Sports) which is another format and I head up the Black Eagle Society which is yet another format, you also have as mentioned the ARpi rules and the Modern Arnis Rules, as well as this Bakbakan also have their rules, Escrima Concepts theirs and the Laban Laro rules used by another organisation in the USA and I am sure there are even more but, I dont see in the forseeable future a proffesional version of stick fighting for the FMA, the problem is the FMA is so varied as is it's ideas of what format should and what format should not be used and many will disagree on which format is the best, I have been lucky in that I have played a part in a few formats and I like many beleive all the varied formats have a place within the FMA as to which one is the best is all up to personal chioce and that too is the unique thing about FMA.

I like them all regardless of format and I could not decide which would be best suited to represent the FMA as a Proffesional Sport.

Best regards

Pat

6. fernast

fernast Valued Member

So I will wait for the official announcement.

Regards
    Fernast

7. Pat OMalley

Ah! good man back to topic:) I am sure if people want to hear about French Cane and the possible stread of Rapid Arnis in the USA, this should be done in a new thread as it bears no relation to the topic of the Councils that are spreading around the world, so come on boys start a new thread for that subject and lets keep this one on the subject it is meant to be about eh;)

So anyway enough of my ranting: I am sure many have seen the point raised with regards to having to be forced to join this Org and that Org, well if you look at the British Council and their sister councils around the world there are NO FEES what so ever, NO POLITICS and no one person telling everyone else how it should be done. The sole aim is to promote the FMA regadless of style or affilition in a non biased manner.

It is a place as Mark Wiley so apdtly put it when refering to the British Council of Kali Eskrima Arnis Instructors in his recent interveiw in Martial Arts Ilustrated,
    And to continue:

Best regards

Pat

8. Damien Alexander

Damien Alexander New Member

My bad :D

My question is; what kind of political scene do they have in the US?
    I do know a lot of what the public is about in the states is due to the almighty dollar( I know...I am american ;) ) and when I hear of a group charging $400 to compete in a world championship fight; I MUST question the motives.
    Is there,or could there, be a blanket group like the one set up by Pat O'Malley and other subsequent organisations be effective in the US?
    Would the major players be willing to try?
    I know there has always been a huge rivalry between the east coast and west coast about everything(and the midwest doesn't give a damn about either :p ), but would it be worth trying to get something set up?
    I know Pats name always gets brought up with the BCKEAI and he will be forever associated with it, but even he will tell you he couldn't have pulled it off without the assistance of other group reps comming together and giving thier 2 bits worth.
    Pat was just the first to stand up and publicy voice what everyone else was talking about in private.
    The entire document that has been laid out for the BCKEAI would be an exellent guide for a fma constitution in the US even though there would be some minute changes for the american public,which would be expected.
    Now,if I am a little late in this and something has already been started or tried, let me know and I will hush ma mouth!
    :D

Damien

9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Don't worry Pat. As soon as I get a few minutes, I'll split them into separate threads myself. So everyone, be aware that if you can't find what you're looking for here, I've probably put it in its own separate (and hopefully obviously named) thread.

Stuart

10. Pat OMalley

I bow to you oh great one:) You are a superstar:love:

I think that's enough sucking up to the Mod's from you O'Malley for the rest of 2007

Best regards

Pat

11. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

True, but it's not too early to get a head start on 08. :D

12. Peter Lewis

Peter Lewis Matira Matibay

:D :D :D

13. Pat OMalley

More good news, The Australian Council of Kali Eskrima Arnis Instructors is also in the process of setting up this year, and before it has even got of the ground there are some serious names in Australia showing their willingness to join.

I will keep you posted as I get more information

Best regards

Pat

14. oosh

oosh Valued Member

Congrats, do you have plans for international meets as well as the respective national ones ?

15. Pat OMalley

Hi all,
    Well I am pleased to announce that the Belgian Council of Kali Eskrima Arnis Instructors has now officially set up, they are working on a web site as we speak which will be at www.bckeai.be As soon as this site is active I will let you know. I would like to extend my congratualtions to the Belgian Council from all of the officers of the British Council of Kali Eskrima Arnis Instructors and the Philippine Council of Kali Eskrima Arnis Masters.

Well I will be in Australia this comming August where I will be meeting up with the instigatiors and founders of the Australian Council to go into more details of how we can help each other and work together on a more international scale.

I am also discussing with other Councils around Europe about the possibility of setting up a European Council and hosting European events and I see no reason why an International Council can not also be a possibility in the near future.

I am also in New Zealand this August where again I will be in discussions with the NZCKEAI and have already informed me that they will be willing to work closely with the new Australian Council once it is officially set up, so I am sure through all these Council's working closley together more international meets are not unthinkable in the near future.

It is good to see that finally the FMA is starting to unite for one goal and the top instructors in their respective countries are now willing to work together to acheive the same aims and objectives in a non biased and non political manner.

From what I can see things can only get better for the FMA, yes it will be hard work on behalf of the respective councils and it's members bu I am sure with their dedication and commitment to see this through things are looking very bright for everyone in the FMA.

As our moto states "Together we grow strong"

Best regards

Pat

Last edited: Jan 13, 2008
  16. kalislash

kalislash Valued Member

Also we are trying to spread it here in Zamboanga :) Mabuhay Gat Kalislash coz Love conquers all.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2008
  17. Pat OMalley

That's good Bro, you need to be in contact with GM Roland Dantes as there is a Council in the PI that may interest you.

PM Me for the contact details

Your Brother

Pat

18. Mangdirigma Ita

Mangdirigma Ita New Member

True :)

Regards to all British Council...also to Tuhon.Pat O Malley future PRESIDENT EUROPEAN COUNCIL... :) 1 VOTE YOU GOT :D HERE ;) (Italy)

KEEP ON HITTING...

The Little Man

Last edited: Feb 1, 2008
  19. kalislash

kalislash Valued Member

Regards to all the members of the P,C,K,E,A,M We have learned a lot of our native arts, FMA ill be in Manila nex week to meet grand master Rolan Dantes and brother Rey Domenguez.....Lots of Chopping Banana Tree, Stick Fighting Techniques, Free Style. In The Future We Can Join into tournament Arnis Stick Fighting.....Someday we invite you Come in (Silo, hotspring: Sibugay River The Place Of Crocodile:Horse Fighting:) Its a very nice place to visit here in ZSP, Zamboanga City , Dapitan City, (Jolo, Basilan Sulo it is also a nice place to visit... Mabuhay sa Sibugay FMA!!!!!!! Mangdirigma Sibugay Group......>>>>

20. Pat OMalley

That's great news Bro, will you be at the tournament in Moalboal this comming July??? When you meet GM Dantes and Brother Rey, send them my best regards and tell them I will see them again real soon.

I have never been to Zamboanga City I will have to mark that on one of my places to go see.

Your Brother

Pat