Could you deal with your conscience?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Llamageddon, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Nomadwanders

Nomadwanders Valued Member

Actually, I'm saying that if I was placed in the situation where I had to kill someone, I wouldn't be going out of my way to inform myself what a great guy he was. By focusing on the fact that it was justified at the time, I think I would sleep a lot easier and not put myself through the psychological torture you're describing above.

Of course, this remains theoretical, and I hope that it always will.

In reference to your other post (asking Kishi if he really meant that he would kill an intruder in his house), I'd have to agree with him there. There is no good reason ever for someone to break into your house. The "best" possible motive is robbery... other times families have been murdered, children have been kidnapped, sexually assaulted and then slain, etc. As the father of two young girls, I would assume the intruder had the worst intentions in mind. The sense of threat is real, and I would act immediately accordingly to remove that threat permanently.

I guess my main point is that I would act first, and agonize (or not) over my actions later. Fortunately, history has taught me that I'm a pretty forgiving fellow, especially to myself.

2. faster than you

faster than you Valued Member

a human is a human is a human; old, young, lame, you, me.

3. Tsumetai

Tsumetai Banned Banned

Would it be on my conscious? No. I did the community a favor.

4. watto86

watto86 Nah brah I'm not gone

I think that puts it into perspective rather well.

5. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Well, there seems to be alot of conscience-less people on this board. As some have been saying, If soldiers - professional killers - have a hard time accepting that they have just ended someone's life, I can't see how the average person could, unless he was a nutter.

Have we all been watching too much of the A-Team?

And a life event changing how you view the world is much different from having something like a death on your conscience. I know about the life changing events all too well.

6. Garibaldi

Garibaldi Valued Member

I really think you are over simplifying the situation and not making enough effort to understand what you are hypothetically discussing. You would have KILLED someone! The psychological torture is not something you would consciously control...and sleep is undoubtedly the thing that wouldn't be easy. As TigerDude mentioned, soldiers struggle with this and they are trained for it!!

I've hit people and deliberated about it for days, even though I knew at the time it was perfectly justified.

I too am the father of two young children, & if someone broke into my house I'm sure I would act to defend them, myself, my wife and my property, and I agree that there is never a good reason to break into someone's house. Yes, attack first and never let them get up, but to kill them as being your first and only response!?! Do you realise what you are saying!?

How would you propose to kill them? Shoot them? Knife them? With your bare hands...I don't think any option is as easy as you think. Don't you think beating them unconcious would suffice & then to call the police?

If you honestly & seriously think that would be your first course of action and your full intent would be to kill someone then you need to get some help now before you get locked up & deprive your family of their father in a different way.

7. watto86

I don't think its so much that people on here are conciousless. Just more of a fact that not everyone gets faced with that life or death type of situation. So up until there, its all theory/hypothetical and based on how you'd perceive that you'd act or on experiences of other people who have a different view and personality.

8. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Yeah, probably didn't phrase that too well. Wasn't intending on indicting everyone on this board!

9. watto86

I know dude. Just if you were actually wording it as a proper question. Thought maybe I might be able to shed some light. Even if not for you. Maybe fo someone else.

10. Guizzy

Guizzy with Arnaud and Eustache

I hate having to grab philosophy from fantasy books, but I've got to admit JRR Tolkien has it right when he had Gandalf say:

11. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

And therein lies the problem with hypotheticals like these. Most people I know have never even been in a fight since they were children, let alone in a position to have to actually utilize lethal force aganst another.

Sorry, but unless you have a believable story about having to kill someone in self-defense, I see a lot of the answers posted thus far as so much macho posturing. If you have never been there, you simply don't know.

12. faster than you

faster than you Valued Member

FYI. noone was ever killed on that show. the cast remains proud of the nonmurderous style of the team.