could my control be better?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Bon, May 23, 2003.

1. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

G'day,

I've heard the key to submissions is not being in total control of your opponent (ie. you don't have a perfect mount with your hands right up under their armpits and knees in nice and tight), but being comfortable from a dominant position.

So when I've been getting mount, side control, etc. I've stopped working so hard to get perfect control and instead I'm happy in being down low in the mount and grapevining my feet. Recently, within the last couple of training sessions I've just been going for a basic Americana and moving into side mount as I go for that, waiting for them to turn up onto their side to counter it, then bring my leg over and getting the armbar. I now understand how easy submissions should come and the amount of energy expanded in getting them. However, I've had guys control me from the mount so well that they've been able to get an Americana on me with ease the way I've been getting that armbar.

I just don't wanna start getting all submission happy and forget that position comes before submission! So, could my control be better, or should I start working my submissions?

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Your control can ALWAYS be better and should be worked on constantly.

Remember - control doesn't always mean 100%. With experienced guys you will never get 100/0 and will have to settle for maybe 60/40.

3. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

To true

Its the end result I care about - if they are tapping I will settle for a cheap ankle lock or a full on rear naked choke!

Dodgy name.

SONSHU

4. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

Yeah, but without control you won't get that submission!

5. johndoch

johndoch upurs

Is it possible to feign loss of control to gain control?

6. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

If I'm interpreting what you're saying in the right way, yeah I think so. I got suckered into a triangle by a purple belt last night, as soon I went to put it on he got posture, stacked me and passed my guard :D

7. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

LOL! - I use the fake triangle opening a lot to pass guard :D

"Attack by Drawing" as the JKD guys would call it :D