Cooler Than Popping Bubblewrap!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Fu_Bag, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

I need a square of this for my workspace! And, yes, this is geeky. But it would be so much fun to play with! :p

Here's the article link if you're so inclined: http://news.yahoo.com/worlds-lightest-solid-takes-inspiration-eiffel-tower-134809070.html

[​IMG]

2. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

Is it bad that the first thought that pops into my mind is to consider the applications in making a suit of armour? :confused:

3. 6footgeek

6footgeek Meow

Wicked! I want an entire suit made out of that stuff!

EDIT:

Oddbod.. we thought the exact same thing at the same time... =P

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  4. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

Interesting. If the weave was tight enough, and the material was right, that might be a very interesting question to workout. :cool:

5. 6footgeek

6footgeek Meow

Imagine. you go up to a medieval english knight and tell him you're wearing lightweight Armour made out of steel! Mind = Blown.

6. Oddsbodskins

hehe, part of it is that when I heard about d3o (foam that remains flexible until struck, when it solidifies before become flexible again) I thought huhm, panels consisting of a layer of that, possibly some kind of tough ceramic scale and outer layer of kevlar or some similar tight weave fabric could offer the potential to transfer force like plate armour used to instead of just cushioning it like bullet resistant body armour does. Something like this could open up some interesting new possibilities. This is all theorycrafting, I've no experience working with the materials in question, I'm just considering how they might respond to the application of force.

It all started with trying to think how to make a better Eskrima jacket, before I decided I prefer padded stick sparring to padded jacket anyway...

7. Kemposhot

Kemposhot Valued Member

Looks like some very cool stuff!!

8. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

Yes, but...

Does it go pop when you squeeze it?

9. Oddsbodskins

Or SPROING! Sproing would work too :D

10. lorenzodamarith

lorenzodamarith Project: Chaos!

hello,

no. no it is not. now the question to you becomes:

is it bad that the first thought that pops into THIS mind is to consider the applications in making a suit of giant robot power armour? now that we got the geeky questions out of the way we can get to the real issue at hand. and that issue is:

jumping up and down while shrieking and squealing the following words in unison like little girls (because, as we've learned on the gaming threads... all such squealing and shrieking MUST be done in unison with geeky friends.

and so, geeky friend, on three!!!

one...
    two...
    three....

ULTRA-LIGHT-WEIGHT-LOW-DENSITY-METALLIC-LATTICES-WITH-ORDERLY-STRUCTURES!!!!! ULTRA-LIGHT-WEIGHT-LOW-DENSITY-METALLIC-LATTICES-WITH-ORDERLY-STRUCTURES!!!!! ULTRA-LIGHT-WEIGHT-LOW-DENSITY-METALLIC-LATTICES-WITH-ORDERLY-STRUCTURES!!!!! ULTRA-LIGHT-WEIGHT-LOW-DENSITY-METALLIC-LATTICES-WITH-ORDERLY-STRUCTURES!!!!! ULTRA-LIGHT-WEIGHT-LOW-DENSITY-METALLIC-LATTICES-WITH-ORDERLY-STRUCTURES!!!!! ULTRA-LIGHT-WEIGHT-LOW-DENSITY-METALLIC-LATTICES-WITH-ORDERLY-STRUCTURES!!!!! ULTRA-LIGHT-WEIGHT-LOW-DENSITY-METALLIC-LATTICES-WITH-ORDERLY-STRUCTURES!!!!! ULTRA-LIGHT-WEIGHT-LOW-DENSITY-METALLIC-LATTICES-WITH-ORDERLY-STRUCTURES!!!!! ULTRA-LIGHT-WEIGHT-LOW-DENSITY-METALLIC-LATTICES-WITH-ORDERLY-STRUCTURES!!!!! ULTRA-LIGHT-WEIGHT-LOW-DENSITY-METALLIC-LATTICES-WITH-ORDERLY-STRUCTURES!!!!! ULTRA-LIGHT-WEIGHT-LOW-DENSITY-METALLIC-LATTICES-WITH-ORDERLY-STRUCTURES!!!!! ULTRA-LIGHT-WEIGHT-LOW-DENSITY-METALLIC-LATTICES-WITH-ORDERLY-STRUCTURES!!!!!

er... ahem... ok. back now.

could sit for a day and just think up weird stuff to do with this material. it would be interesting to see something like this used in automotive/personal conveyance industry. this could be much like driving giant NERF cars around.

very cool stuff.

thanks

11. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I want one. Not a cube, I want a suit xD