conditioning ideas

Discussion in 'Karate' started by goatnipples2002, Feb 4, 2003.

1. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

I can explain it very very easily: it doesn't happen. People don't punch through convrete walls. The aim of makiwara training is to make your punches stronger by strengthening the relevant muscles.
    Oh yes, it can happen. I am referring to the bags of synovial fluid in the little joints in your fingers. You can damage these a lot more easily than you think. i could hunt down a quote from my medical book, but you aren't going to listen to me anyway. I am getting thoroughly bored of this topic.

2. Adam

Adam New Member

Getting bored? Okay. Closing comment: Let's just all do whatever stupid things we fancy, so long as we believe it's working for us. My truth isn't neccesarily your truth.

But anyway, the two of us are hardly the most qualified people to discuss this. I think I'll go look up joint damage. Thanks.

3. Knight_Errant

Each to his own and his own to each. Have fun!

4. goatnipples2002

goatnipples2002 someone tryin 2 learn

No **** i thought this was some big ass game :woo: . What I was trying to say is that without conditioning your body might not be able to withstand the pressure of the force exerted from a powerful strike and /or a misplaced strike or for that matter a well placed attack. I would also let you know there are different types of conditioning. The dude who punches steel was only an example, I don't want to punch steel nor do I have a disire to punch steel. I would like to have the reassurance of knowing that my limb won't snap or shatter because of a..... well placed strike..... misplaced strike..... a destruction.

It wouldn't happen in a day,but think about how long you've been training and if you would've been doing "resistance condition drills" you might be twice as good as your current state.

The more you can take is the more you can dish out.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2003
  5. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

Calm down nipple.

6. Knight_Errant

Yeah, it's called newtonian physics... if you've been doing your pushups and drills like a good little boy, it won't happen.

7. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Then you want to avoid conditioning like the plague. Conditioning makes your bones tougher, and more brittle, making them more likely to shatter or have complicated fractures rather than a simple break.

8. Adam

Adam New Member

Wrong. You'd be less likely to break them.

9. goatnipples2002

goatnipples2002 someone tryin 2 learn

Your don't have a clue of what your talking about. If what you are saying were true (which it isn't) then explain people who break stuff ib competitions? Explain the guys who possess iron skills, like iron.....head.....fist.....legs.....arms.....iron whatever? These skills have been acquired by these individuals through along and grueling process that takes many years of CONTROLLED MINOR ABUSE to the area of the body selected. Explain Thai Fighters shins?

Where do you practice? What art?

10. Adam

Adam New Member

Or you could do like I did, a short time of uncontrolled major abuse to the area of the body selected :D

PS: keep it friendly please.

11. Knight_Errant

If this turns into a bitchfight, I'm going to leave it well alone. When bones are damaged, they heal WEAKER than before. Ask any good doctor. You can strengthen your bones and muscles through less sadomasochistic means e.g. mountain climbers have incredibly strong bones. Goatnipples: chill, man. Think a little before you reply to this post, eh?

12. Adam

Adam New Member

Like goatnipples said, the best way is controlled minor abuse. That won't break any bones (except in my dumbassed case) and will leave the bones harder.

Is the topic still hand conditioning?

13. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Go ask your GP about calcification and the causes of brittle bones.

Show me an old Thai fighter.

I don't really see how this has an bearing on the discussion, but CKD, suprisingly.

Yes, harder, but more brittle. If you want an example think of trying to break a stick, then imagine putting it in liquid nitrogen and trying again. It'll feel more solid, but it'll snap and/or shatter more easily.

14. Adam

Adam New Member

And with the bones harder, there is less chance to break them in the first place, making living easier and less hazardous for you. :D

This could go on forever, as the game of the day seems to be word twisting and iron-headed denial from boyj sides of the debate, still it's pretty entertaining :D

Just as a point of interest, CKD, can you fist-break concrete, rocks and bricks?

15. Knight_Errant

*slap slap slap*

16. AllOutWar

AllOutWar New Member

This sounds like an oxymoron, how can something be hard but more brittle? Those to me are extreme oposites. Like ADAM and Goat both pointed out if you do it in moderation you will be o.k. it's when you want to get sadistic that you'll take a turn for the worse. If you want to talk scientific, when your bones bruise and the healing process occurs if there is EXTREME bone damage you can actualy reverse the process. That does not pertain to slight to moderate bruises.

If you want to see an old Thai fighter try Thailand at one of there many Muay Thai camps. Most of the trainers are guys with over 200 fights under their belt...........But then again how would you know that? You're a CKD student?

17. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

Brittle and hard are not opposites the opposite of hard is soft. When a bone is conditioned it becomes harder and LESS likely to break, but when it DOES break it is more severe because of brittleness. Before conditioning the bone is MORE likely to break but when it DOES break it is a less severe break. Get it? I might know what I am talking about....but probably not. :D

18. AllOutWar

AllOutWar New Member

Well put. It does kinda give me a new insight, but to completly throw away conditioning sounds like trouble to me.

19. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

Conditioning is important both physical and mental, but if you are young it is a bad idea if your bones are still developing.

I asked about this and did you know that popping your knuckles damages it the exact same way? Sergically removed? I doubt that. The damaging of the synovial fluid bags can cause stifness and at the worst it can cause temporary pain.

20. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Done it once, while drunk, never done it sober, nor would I want to. When sober if I try it my self-preservation instinct kicks in and I pull the punch. The only conditioning you need is mental for breaking.

No one would try to argue that diamonds are not incredibly hard, correct? However its slightly less known that they are extremely brittle. They cannot be ground down easily, but they can be shattered, which is in fact an important put of the cutting process.

Why aren't they still fighting?

And that has what to do with my knowledge of other martial arts? If you've got such a low opinion of me then I'm wasting my time with you. If someone does yoga, does that automatically mean that they only know yoga, and know nothing about martial arts?