Combining Taji and Yiquan Principles. Sam Tam

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by 23rdwave, Apr 6, 2019.

1. 23rdwave

23rdwave Valued Member

If Sam was doing yiquan he would move his feet and would not let his training partner enter the gates but here he is using yiquan to power his taiji.

2. ned

ned Valued Member

The whole demeanour of the student (who looks in pretty poor shape and somewhat awkward) suggests compliance, not saying your man Sam isn't the real deal but as a demo this don't impress me much (apologies to Shania... :) )

David Harrison likes this.
  3. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I wish my students would make me look that good.

4. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Oh lovely.:rolleyes: Magic Chi Blasts! To a student with extremely poor posture and principles. At least as far as the TCC influence goes. (Leaning badly, what kind of stance is that supposed to be, collapsed arms, etc.) Let's see that against someone not drinking the cool-aid - i.e., not a student. Plenty of video's out there of what happens when a non student is the opponent of this sort of "chi."

Like this video.

Or this one

Monkey_Magic likes this.
  5. 23rdwave

23rdwave Valued Member

Is this your first day on the internet? Try a little harder than reposting the same two videos that everyone has seen a million times. Why don't you post a video of your training and show how you do it?

I can't do a triple axel on ice skates so those Olympians must be faking it.

6. aaradia

I could post a ton more of what happens when a magic chi blaster goes against someone not buying the cool-aid. Just not wanting to spend a lot of time google searching to make my point. My point is made with these video's. Age and popularity of them is not a valid argument against the evidence they provide. I note you don't post any other critique of those video's exposing the fraud of the magic chi blasts in them. Please, tell me how those videos are not valid debunking of the idea of a magic chi blast.

As for posting my training, I don't need to. I am not making claims to back up. The onus is on you as you posted claims that this magic chi blasting is a valid thing. :) If I was around a magic chi blaster, I would happily be video taped as they try to do their thing on me. That would be relevant to this discussion. But I don't know of any around me willing to try. So -Straw man.

The Ice skating reference is another straw man argument.

7. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Ease up there turbo.

No need to for the passive aggressive post.

8. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

I don't know about you guys, every time I saw some "push" clip like this, my blood pressure start to raise up. If this kind skill can be used in the ring, or on the mat, I may have wasted all my life training time.

9. 23rdwave

23rdwave Valued Member

Writing "magic chi blasts" over and over again is not an argument. A thesaurus may be helpful.

As for the videos. The people in them have been exposed as frauds. Most of the people teaching so-called cima are frauds. They just don't know it. And when someone shows them what they are doing wrong they ignore it and keep teaching the same old stuff that doesn't work.

I posted a video to start a conversation but as usual it has degenerated to "magic chi blast" territory.

From one of Sam's students:

"Sam Tam (1940-) was born in Mainland China and began his study of martial arts from childhood developing a strong foundation built upon upright character, self discipline, hard work and a passion for martial arts. His martial training began in the 1940s under the tutelage of very high level military martial art instructors that served with and knew his father (a physician) in Chiang Kai Shek’s Nationalist Army.

Sifu Tam is a living encyclopedia of martial arts knowledge both in theory and application. As a result of his skills and aptitude for the martial arts Sifu Tam has had the unique opportunity to learn from many of China’s highest level martial arts masters.

[​IMG]
    Master Sam Tam
    His closest and most influential teachers include:

• Eagle Claw (Lau Fat Mang),
    • Yiquan (Han Xingyuan, Yu Pengxi),
    • Taijiquan ( Zhang Xiang Wu, Qi Jiangtao),
    • Xingyiquan ( Han Xingyuan, Zhang Xiang Wu),
    • Baguazhang ( Han Xingyuan, Zhang Xiang Wu),
    • Shuaijiao ( Chang Dongshen), and many others
    I have been extremely fortunate to have learned from a master who is both as skilled at teaching as he is at his martial art. He teaches much like a mother bear teaching her cubs to hunt, very playful yet serious and practical. He has imparted his art, theory and feeling through form and function allowing me to feel in him and through him how the internal arts work. Without the direct transmission from teacher to student it is very difficult if not almost impossible to learn the internal martial and healing art of tai chi chuan.

Sifu Tam is a living demonstration of how Tai Chi applied in your life can manifest in all areas of your being. What is taught at our school carries with it Sifu Tam’s signature of feeling and principles.

It has been my very good fortune to have met and been invited to learn privately with Sifu Tam. I feel very fortunate have been given his trust and permission to teach his Internal Martial Arts to others for their health and enlightenment.

For more insight on what its like to learn directly with Master Tam check out, the link removed.

MOD note. Sorry, but I've removed the link, as it falls foul of the ToS.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2019
  10. 23rdwave

23rdwave Valued Member

This is your aha! moment.

11. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

12. aaradia

Ah I see. Any video I would post of a person getting through a chi blast would be called a person exposed as a fraud. But the video you posted is different? His waving his free arm and the guy flying back is real?

Clapping his hands and "moving the opponent" at 8 and 12 seconds in. Waving his free hand at 17 seconds and the guy flying back. 21 seconds. Same. No touch waving at 28 seconds.Punch in the air at 35 seconds and the opponent flies back. That is just the beginning. Your claim is that this video is all legit, but any debunking of this theory, those "Masters" are all frauds? This is your claim? o_O Ah ok. That makes perfect sense. ;)

I respect different styles and instructors. But no touch chi moving is different. And if one posts it, you are going to get it questioned/ critiqued on MAP. Not just by me. It also gets a doubting eye in many other MA discussions elsewhere.

Te be clear. I am ONLY commenting on the no touch (aka magic) chi blast aspect of the video. Not any other qualifications, expertise of your instructor.

By the way, I use the quickest term to describe what I see. No need to use a different term. And a thesaurus won't translate "magic chi blast." I tried it.
    www.thesaurus.com

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    Monkey_Magic likes this.
  13. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

I didn't know he is one of my Shuai Chiao brothers.

Do you know when and where (in China, or in Taiwan?) that he had learned Shuai Chiao from my teacher?

I think I should know almost all my teacher's students (my SC brothers).

14. 23rdwave

23rdwave Valued Member

His father was a doctor in Chiang Kai Shek's army. Sam trained with the army's top instructors starting as young boy and then sought out the best teachers when he was a man. His yiquan teachers were from Hong Kong but I believe the others were from mainland China. He lives in Vancouver where he was a mail carrier for many decades. He used to come down to the Bay Area of California to train when he was younger and teach when he was older.

15. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Sorry 23rdwave - I got all of 25 seconds into the clip and my nonsense-o-meter went off the scale.

Regardless of what his students say about him, or his fathers or his own background - if this is what he is putting out as a demonstration of ANY kind of martial skill, it's laughable.
    It's not even an attempt to look realistic - the student is playing patsy, and massaging Sam's ego. "Demonstrations" like this do TCMA no favours.

aaradia likes this.
  16. aaradia

Mod note: Please remember. Profanity - including masked profanity is not allowed- per our Terms of Service. Thanks!

17. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

- A real demo is your opponent gives you opportunate, you have to finish it.
    - A fake demo is your opponent gives you opportunity, he also helps you to finish it.

IMO, if you can only push your opponent back 3 feet, but your opponent moves back 10 feet, your opponent helps you to move back that 7 extra feet is fake.

I had an Aikido brown belt student. One time I used him as my demo partner. When I threw him over my head, I could feel that he jumped up at that moment. I later on asked him why did he jump. He told me that in most Aikido demo, he had to jump to make the demo look nicer.

18. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

Sam Tam is a mere novice.

A true master would be able to take a matchstick from behind his ear and turn it into a magical staff. I’ve yet to see him succeed in his attempts. On YouTube it all ended with ear wax, but no magical staff. I am unimpressed with Sam Tam.

19. windwalker

windwalker Member

""Ao Shi-peng once told me an anecdote that took place while China was in the thrall of ‘Qigong mania’ [in the 80s]. Ao asked M Yao about the ‘fa gong’ [external release of qi], and asked whether Yiquan could produce this kind of ability too.

At first, M Yao was reluctant to talk about this kind of thing, but eventually, seeing that Ao wasn’t going to drop it, sighed and raised his hand. Bear in mind that Ao and M Yao were separated by a dining table at this point.

M Yao lifted his hand and made a very small fa li motion towards Ao’s face. Ao felt as if a large mass of paper had hit his forehead, it scared him witless. Have you ever come across this ability?

C: M Yao was always reluctant to talk about this kind of thing, even in his books he denied it existed in Yiquan. His intent was not to lead Yiquan students astray.

Actually, the practice of Yiquan can develop this ability. M Yao told me about it in 1978. That year, in order to study Yiquan with M Yao, I took sick leave dozens of times. I gave up a lot of other things to practice Yiquan."

Anecdotal accounting concerning some of the practices questioned.