CKD Check-in

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by LilBunnyRabbit, Dec 31, 2003.

1. amiller127

amiller127 Chief Instructor

Hi James

Rather than go drag up all the stuff your asking about and this turning into a nice little argument thread (which will happen knowing how things have gone in the past) why dont you just pop into your CKD class and speak to the instructors about training with them. Most give a few lessons free. Have a look, see if you like the training and if you feel the classes are worth the money and then join or find something else :)

speak to RIPFACE or HaggisHunter as they are both instructors in the Aberdeen area. Im sure they would be very happy to help you find a class....

2. JimiT

JimiT New Member

Hi again,

thanks for your reply amiller. I certainly do not want to start any type of 'flame' war.

The class near me trains on a Wednesday evening and Saturday morning. I am going to go along to watch the class this Wednesday and speak with the instructor. I think he is Brian Jay.

I'll be sure to speak to RIPface and Haggishunter in the future, once I have some questions to ask or info to share.

I am very much looking forward to training, I hope CKD is for me!

3. ripface

ripface Pil Sung

Hi, and welcome to MAP

Hi JimiT,

Just for your information, Brian Jay is no longer affiliated with Choi Kwang Do. He left the organisation some time ago, and I believe he now trains under Kinetic Martial Arts (However I may be wrong). I've trained with Brian in the past, and found him to be a good instructor, so if you are considering his classes then I'd recommend going along to see how you get on. Just be aware that you will not be training in CKD.

There are a number of CKD Schools in the North East, in and around Aberdeen. Myself and Ms. Nadine Thomas run the CKDBBA schools in Alford and Kingswells, and I also run a Lunchtime class on a Wednesday in Aberdeen. You'd be made very welcome to any of these, and the details can be found on our website at www.ckd.org.uk.

Cheers and good luck finding a style and a school that suits your needs.

4. JimiT

JimiT New Member

John,

thanks for that. I will go along to what I think is CKD in Peterculter tomorrow evening and see what its all about. If it turns out it's not CKD, or not what I'm after I would quite possibly be interested in coming to Kingswells to train with you guys. I might come over anyway (once I gain some level of fitness) just to meet more like minded people.

thanks again

5. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Congrats for joining! CKD is an awesome martial art that has a few flaws just like every other martial art in the world! CKD doesn't have all the politics or complaining that others seem to have though! Welcome!

6. Chris Yates

Chris Yates Valued Member

Well, it's been nearly a year since I last visited, and Choi Kwang Do gets relagated!!!

7. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

I don't think it was getting the activity needed for its own forum (I wasn't round at the time so can't say for certain).

I'd recommended people starting new threads add [Choi Kwang Do] or [CKD] to the start of the title. If we can see it's getting enough activity it may warrant its own forum again.

8. twopaw

twopaw New Member

Hi I am just beginning Choi Kwang Do, in QLD Australia. I hope that is specific enough. I just had my trial class today and as yet have no official white belt with uniform yet, but I am enjoying it enough to know I will going back for more tomorrow night.

I trained in 2000 4-5 nights/days a week with a totally different style of martial art altogether. CCK. Which is not operating under its name now, from what I have seen. I don't know where Shifu Wei Tei went or what happened. Maybe he just left for extensive training in Tibet, where Cho Chiao Chuan Fa Kung Fu traditionally comes from. I don't know.

When I was there, a system for kung fu and kickboxing grading existed and I was graded in kickboxing at Yellow Two. I did not know enough to feel ready to grade for kung fu, as it included Yang Liao Kung and other physical tasks that I was not sure of being able to know. I also learnt chi kung, and trained with a bamboo Dragon Pole. I don't have the pole or any of the gear now, as the pole was stolen from a house I was living in, in North Coast NSW. I sold the kickboxing gear - 16 ounce red leather gloves, shin and instep protectors, red handwraps, and threw out my mouthguard, after I decided not to continue training, even though it was beneficial for my health and physical fitness. I also had moved too far away to enjoyably train.

I am regaining health and fitness after numerous accidents. I have broken my right 5th metatarsal, walking on platform heel shoes down a steep hill and then falling off the shoe partially and snapping my outer bone. My right ulna fractured near the elbow, after I fell during an art photo shoot on a waterfall rock in October 2009.

I've also been injured in 2006 on a road cycling bike accident on a freeway, where I flew over the handlebars and slid downhill and landed on my spine with the heavy Italian road cycling bike. And also had to defend myself on a train in 2006 as well, from a guy smoking and drinking beer on a train. He flicked the ember end of the rollie into my eye and I pushed him away, reflexively. He then started kicking my hips and legs, and I defended myself from his kicks with leg checks, also using a kick block from a high kick aimed at my head, and punched him once in the balls with my left after he knocked me down and I almost had my head out of the train carriage.

So I am back into a new style altogether of training with the aim of self competition. And to hopefully positively deal with situations as before mentioned as I do not seek that kind of thing ever again after having a month of physio and bed rest from the attack damage.

Blessings
    twopaw

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  9. daveblue

daveblue Banned Banned

The thing about choi kwang do is that many of the other arts its easy to find one to one private lessons,but ckd i have asked many and cannot find,also we know that some people just do not like or for some reason need a lesson at a certain time,its not too bad if like usa you can find day time classes in the week,and also i do now that brighton choi has classes for the older students as they may find it embarrassing training with children or younger students,but not everyone can travel to brighton.
    I think that ckd loses a lot of people that like me want that service,i remember training under master pan sim woon wtf tae kwon do and i trained at his house and he only charged £15 hour one to ones alas he moved away,he was not in it for the money and a true gentleman ckd could do with an injection of this as some are deluded by there egos.:hat:

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  10. daveblue

daveblue Banned Banned

What happened to henry woodcock and his family i think he trained under peter wake and also karren wake,it was bad news that bike accident,i have had a few but was lucky to survive.

11. Kwajman

Most all the CKD instructors I know will gladly teach private lessons, the prices are all over the map but they'll teach them if someone is interested.

12. daveblue

daveblue Banned Banned

well i have asked a number and most are not interested,also i have been to some classes and the standards are not good you have a couple of lessons with the instructor and after that i was once left on my own nearly the whole class with going over what i could learn at home out of a book,and if you are lucky you might then get a lower belt to teach you not what i call high standards?never had that with tae kwon do or shotokan karate as most are high quaility step by step and you get corrected a lot if you are not getting it right.
    Its no good having hundreds of clubs with crap lessons where many think they will be safe on the streets when clearly they are deluding themselves.

13. daveblue

daveblue Banned Banned

anyone heard of qi kwon do it seems to have colourful uniforms.

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  14. amiller127

I'm happy to teach private lessons either at my house, someone else's or if they hire a hall. I look after my step daughter during the day so got enough free time to do it. Just never been asked before :)

15. amiller127

Henry and his family left CKD for dsd in 1997. I believe he is now retired from teaching. I don't think Peter wake was his instructor. Think Henry either trained under master pereira or Roger koo initially.

Peter's passing was a huge loss for choi kwang do. He was a great instructor and I was lucky enough to spend a lot of time training with him, testing and being promoted to instructor and examiner under him before he passed.

16. Kwajman

Well there are bad instructors in all different martial arts.

17. daveblue

daveblue Banned Banned

your right about that kwaj,thanks dale i have sent you a private message on your site,i think you are too far away for me?