Christian Based Martial Art

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Rojack79, Oct 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

I'll be honest I was expecting him to be banned by now. :D

2. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Why does the US constitution give citizens the right to carry guns but not swords? That seems illogical. Surely the principle is the same? :confused:

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Do you think if everyone carried big swords that people would learn to use them? Like, instead of guns you could only carry swords over 3 feet in length. Would more people train to use them? Would people prefer the katana over the claymore?

Also, why does nobody who talk about self protection wear bullet proof vests?

4. Ultima Ratio

Ultima Ratio New Member

Chadderz, I can't resist the bait!

Are you japanese? That is about the only reason I can think of to give your style a japanese name that is not totally ridiculous. Even then, I'm not convinced. I know us westerners love everything japanese and samurai, but do you have any reason to use a japanese name other than it sounds cool?

Your sword style might also sound good if you said it in Hebrew. Oooh, or better yet Arabic.

سيف الله
    sayf alllah

The sword of allah! Check out them squiggles!

At least these languages have attached cultures with a long history of belief in the abrahamic god. Less than 3% of japan is christian. In fact, the majority of japan seems to claim no religion at all.

Man, maybe if god had leant a hand during the shimabara rebellion, things would be different. But I guess he doesn't like to get involved like that. I'm glad he has time to give you dreams of sticking dudes with pointy objects though.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Modern science has a name for those visions... schizophrenic hallucinations.

6. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

If your inspiration is based in divinity then more power to you, nothing wrong with that. Try and come back down to earth though.

As others have said, study with a proffesional and learn your craft otherwise you could get hurt or more seriously you could hurt someone else.

Baza

7. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I'm still not clear about what is specifically 'Christian' about this martial art.

8. Dean Winchester

Rojack,

Where are you based?

9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Tucson, AZ.

10. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Apart from the "go train" message, I don't think this is helpful at all, aaradia.

Just because some traditions require you to navigate self-made paranoia and manufactured malevolence, doesn't mean it's actually doing anyone any good, or that those practices are there for any good reason. "Purification" and "testing spirits" are only required if that is the experience you want to play with. Otherwise, you are planting unneeded paranoia into an experience that could otherwise be perfectly benign, or even beneficial in some ways.

It's like asking someone who's tripping if they feel okay. You've planted a seed of doubt that they must now overcome.

This outdated Freudian idea of competing selves, saying that some things are product of "ego", others "id", and all the good stuff is "superego" or whatever. That's not very helpful either. It's a terrible mixture of modernist-esque ideas of progress mixed with old dualist notions of transcendence.

If you don't believe it's God, then it's imagination. The only way that is going to lead to lead to mental illness (or at least mental illness with detrimental symptoms) is if you plant enough seeds of paranoia and doubt. That is why esoteric practices send some people crazy - not because there is any inherent danger in dealing with "spirits", but because some traditions and groups want you to believe there is, and that becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  11. David Harrison

It came from God.

How much more Christian can you get?

12. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

If someone that's done a regular non-god sword art beats the god sword guy in a sword fight does that mean god created a weapon based mcdojo?

13. David Harrison

Of course not!

That would come down to a spiritual failing on the part of the receptor of holy sword skills, obviously ;)

14. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Equally though, if someone IS choosing to navigate this particular path there is no way you will dissuade them by pointing out facts - then it IS important to put such safeguards and practices in place.

From a purely psychological viewpoint alone they ensure a state of "right mind", or "spiritual placebo" that may cause pause even if just for a moment; from a more esoteric viewpoint the same applies, albeit the consequences are seen as from "external forces"

From my perspective the OP is "positive trolling" - there is no way he can seriously believes this is divinely inspired and instead I think he was aiming for the "wow cool!" factor

Needless to say his aim was terrible

15. David Harrison

Personally, I have no interest in his motivations. I found it entertaining :)

16. Hannibal

Personally I feel the urge to go full berserker mode on him and scream "WHERE IS THY GOD NOW?!?!?!?" after my inevitable victory!

That is my default state though, so read nothing into it......

17. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

#CriscoDreaming

18. Dean Winchester

Damn.

19. Hannibal

I know EXACTLY what you are thinking Dean....

20. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Actually, they are.
    The OP said his he received messages from the Christian God. So, that's the context we're working in, and in that context -- as well of that of any other theistic religion that I'm aware of -- there most certainly are ceremonies and long traditions of required purification and testing of spirits.

Our buddy Aaradia was spot on, and the OP is wildly off the mark.

Consider even Buddhism, which though it often recognizes deities is not a theistic religion. One will find time-tested purification rituals and checks-and-balances for discerning whether the experiences from deep meditation were genuine or not. Same idea as what Aaradia was saying. It's common in religion -- yet our OP is foolishly not doing it.

(I think the explanation is that the OP a troll making up a story, but that's just me.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.