Christian Based Martial Art

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Rojack79, Oct 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

How about relying on actual training, received from a qualified instructor?

Why would a God give you self defense in sword arts when most people in the world nowadays don't carry swords around? You ask how to protect yourself and he doesn't teach you hand to hand- but sword arts? One reason your story- frankly- doesn't add up.

2. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Fine.
    So, the claim is that a mythical deity is answering your request for the ability to defend yourself by mentally downloading to you techniques for a weapon that you will not legally be able to carry in public, and would have a hard time justifying the use of in a court of law. The reason he is doing this is because you think swords are 'cool'.

Forgive me if I don't take this kid's beliefs seriously.

3. Rojack79

Rojack79 Valued Member

Swords are legal to carry were i live. and i asked for the ability to use swords. That's why he gave me this ability.

4. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

You don't appear to have read what I wrote, Dan. I said you should feel free to critique that idea. But there are plenty of perfectly reasonable Christians at MAP and elsewhere who aren't especially asking for the sort of mockery that "ol' beardy" intones.

To be clear, that wasn't a mod enforcement. I just think we can do better.

5. Rojack79

Rojack79 Valued Member

First off there's no reason to call me a kid. I'm 22 year's old. Secondly i never said sword's are cool. I said that i liked them and asked god to help me with wielding them.

6. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

I'd be interested to hear where you live, then.
    And even if swords are legal to carry, I doubt its legal to hack someone to death with one.

7. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Does that honestly sound like the sort of thing that an all-powerful, benevolent power SHOULD be doing though?

If I said "I like pancakes, and I asked God to give me some," you wouldn't think that inappropriate? Because what you're describing isn't a self-defense necessity. You said yourself that you live in the middle of nowhere. What, precisely, is threatening your loved ones? Is it the sort of threat that's going to give you the opportunity to grab a sword? Because otherwise, this falls pretty squarely in the "I just want this" camp. And I don't think that God is in the business of just giving people what they want.

8. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

So would I. I would also contest the idea that swords are legal to carry. I can't think of anywhere in the Western world where that's true. Carrying a sword about is likely to raise hackles with the cops most places, I'd think. And actually using one, in self-defense or no, is probably going to land the OP in the nearest penitentiary.

9. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

You were gifted the ability to use swords when you got lucky and ended up human shaped. We can all use swords. The difference is some of us can use them well.

10. csoby

csoby Valued Member

There was a case like that when I lived in South Dakota... a guy 'defended' himself with a cheap samurai sword... he got to spend some time in Sioux Falls Penitentiary....

11. Rojack79

Rojack79 Valued Member

Well i live in Tucson,AZ. Not exactly in the middle of nowhere but just enough to be far away from the nearest police department. There are plenty of people out here were i live and lots of vandal's and people braking into house's.

12. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

So you are training (poorly) to break the law on the basis that "you probably wont get caught"

Asinine

13. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Tucson has a raft of schools

Get a job and start training; this deluded fantasy of yours needs to stop

14. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

There's an aspect to this that I find fascinating, and that is how, once you set your mind to something you get back more than you put in.

I don't believe in any gods, but visualisation, whether that's from training methods and meditation, dreams or daydreaming, can be very beneficial to a person's progress and upkeep. Your brain doesn't stop mulling this stuff over when you finish your day's training, or even when you go to sleep.

Of course, that is not much use without proper instruction and other people to practice with, that's a given. However, whether you believe these ideas and visualisations come from God, the spirits of dead Samurai, the subconscious, or whatever is beside the point.

I'm more inclined to say to Rojack79: shine on you crazy diamond, hold onto that fantasy, but find skilled people to inform it.

15. Rojack79

Rojack79 Valued Member

Haha!! Thank's for the positive feedback and encouragement.

16. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

I have to agree with what the majority of people have already stated here. Stop, stop now.

You need to go and study, regardless of your inspiration you need experience, much more experience before you create your own style. Do some reading, Jigoro Kano studied Kito Ryu Jujutsu among other forms of jujutsu for many years before founding Judo. Same goes with Morihei Ueshiba, he studied Daito-Ryu and had a very solid understanding of other MA before creating aikido. Same thing with Bruce Lee. So on and so forth.

What you lack is experience. As Hannibal said. You have options. Go find a school. Study for 10 years + then if you must, you can start exploring the idea of creating a MA.

Good luck.

17. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Well, that is a change from what you originally stated.

So, you asked for the ability to protect yourself and others or you asked for the ability to use swords?

One pitfall is approaching things like this with an idea of how Diety is going to give you what you need. Sorry, that suggests to me you skipped some important steps in your divinely inspired workings.

Because, practically speaking, the best way to protect oneself and others is not with a sword. A sword offers pretty much lethal or maiming options only. Hand to hand combat offers much more variety in the way one controls the force used in an appropriate manner with regards to the situation and the legal issues of the world we live in.

So, I am not approaching this with the same sort of skepticism as most others here- I have different concerns. Yes, I know what I am about to say will be highly controversial. But I am merely offering the view from religions that believe more direct contact with Divinity is possible.

So, as one who has been in religions and had friends in same and other religions that practice things like divine possessory trance, I have concerns. Taking your idea at face value, and dismissing for a moment the serious doubts I have as to whether you seriously believe you have been contacted by Diety................

I wonder if you prepared properly for such an experience. Did you purify yourself properly? Did you have proper training to be able to do things like discern if the proper Diety contacted you vs say a malevolent spirit? What you are playing at is not to be taken lightly. Religions that teach such experiences also talk about pitfalls of same. They also teach improper training and purification can lead to things like mental illness, possession by bad entities, etc.

Santeria, for example, has tests to make sure one is in divine contact with said claimed Diety. Because they understand that delusions and fakery exist even within a world view that accepts things like this-= some type of direct divine communication.

Or did you just skip the hard work and training like you seem to want to do to actually learn a MA?

Because what I have trouble believing is that a good Diety would misguide you so badly and tell you things that any properly trained first year MAist would know are not correct. Like saying a sword is the most practical way to defend yourself. That said Diety would not give you guidance to less lethal ways as well.

Have you properly cleansed yourself to make sure your ego (i.e. "ohh- I invented a martial art!") isn't involved and tainting said divine revelation? Because the right mindset for such a serious task isn't to be toyed around with.

No, in addition to the ways others think this doesn't add up, even with a very different perspective, it still doesn't add up.

And for any others shocked by what I say above. Just know that some religions have different perspectives on how the world works. There are respectable people from all walks of life that practice religions like voudou, Santeria, various pagan traditions. I am not out to convince anyone about the validity of what others believe. But many people in life that are not crazy and are functioning and productive adults have belief systems that incorporate ideas like this. I am approaching this from that angle - a different perspective. But one that still questions what OP is saying.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  18. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

[​IMG]

19. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Ah come on man, your doing it all wrong.

You can't just start off making shocking statements right off the bat - especially when its clear you know very little of either the Christian religion or swordsmanship.

You've gotta hang around for a bit. Make some reasonable statements like any other gadgie on here, then when they've dropped their guard - you put yer batter on the chips.

Makes it more interesting and you get the pleasure of winding up the members a lot more that way.

The way you're going, you'll be done soon - its already getting boring. Even Hannibal is "meh" - can almost hear him sigh; not licking his chops the way he used to when one of you'd start bleating.

How sad.

As my old daideo used to say when he took me as a wee-child out on his fishing boat outside the Shankill -

" tha feyne arts a gan out of tha trolls, today. There's no snoggin, no warming - just no wobble to a troll at all now "

Actually, I don't know what he said, I could never understand a thing he uttered.

20. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

So, you are a fellow, who is being told by god how to use a sword, who has stated rather convincingly that it is not illegal to carry a sword where he lives?

"Sir, why do you have a sword?"
    "God told me i should carry it"
    "Fair enough, on your way"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.