Christian Based Martial Art

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Rojack79, Oct 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rojack79

Rojack79 Valued Member

I know 4 Guard's with the long sword and great sword as well as how to strike with them. I also know the 4 guard's of the rapier as well as how to cut and trust. I also know how to use the spear and the staff.

2. Rojack79

Rojack79 Valued Member

I wish but no i don't.

3. Rojack79

Rojack79 Valued Member

LOL!! What can i say. I've lived a strange life.

4. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Ok. Could you get more technical?

Describe the guards and their function and how you cut.

5. Rojack79

Rojack79 Valued Member

Yes but they are my voise's so there. :D

6. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

That's a shame, but I'm sure God will bring someone your way when the time is right.

I wonder, do you know of any general principles at work behind this style? Knowing some techniques is one thing, but in order to adapt to the chaos of fighting, underlying principles are needed. Maybe this is to be revealed at a later date?

7. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

In my very first longsword lesson I learned 12 guards and how to strike and thrust with the sword. Knowing them and being able to actually do them are very different things - I'm still figuring out the various ways to actually apply even basic knowledge of the sword, and that's on the back of about twenty years of other martial arts training.

I strongly suspect that you're not much beyond the point of having looked at the four main guards of German longsword and swung a sword around without correction or an opponent/training partner to show you a thing or two.

Seriously, find a decent HEMA club and learn this properly. You can't learn martial arts by either making them up of from supposed divine revelation; you need someone to show you how the techniques work and to give feedback.

8. David Harrison

Are they different to the SCA stuff you learnt?

I bet you love renaissance fairs, right?

9. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I have no personal faith, but I generally dislike people taking the Lord's name in vain as it may offend others.

I get righteously furious at using the apostrophe in vain however, and will rain down great vengeance upon someone or something pretty darn soon. I am old and grumpy and you don't want visions of me anywhere near you, no sir.

Mitch

10. David Harrison

I'm pretty sure that's what you meant to write :p

11. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

12. Rojack79

Rojack79 Valued Member

Oh, um i'll try to. Sadly i suck at describing thing's. First the guard's.

The First guard i call Above, which come's in 2 form's, The High guard and the Middle guard.

In the High Guard the sword is held above the head with the blade angled backward's. From this position descending strike's are both powerful and fast.

In the middle guard The sword is held on your left or right side(which ever is your dominant hand.)with the blade pointed straight upward's or at a slight back angle. This guard is the most versatile guard in order to launch attack's from as any strike can be use with equal efficiency.

The second guard i call Head. In this guard the sword is held with the hilt near the head and the blade facing the opponent. This guard is good for thrusting and descending blow's. It can also protect you from said blow's as well as guard you from Above guard attack's.

The third guard is Chest. In this guard the sword is held in front of you with he blade pointing towards your enemy. This guard is good for thrusting attack's and it is good for ascending strike's with the false edge. it can also be used to defend against attacks to the leg's.

The fourth guard is leg's. This guard is the most difficult to use because the sword is held down at waist height with the blade point behind you. This let's your opponent attack you but you can perform a rapid thrust with this guard or you use an ascending strike with ether the true of false edge of the blade.

And that is what i know of swordsmanship.

13. Rojack79

Rojack79 Valued Member

Thank you. I will do this. Hopefully there is a HEMA Club in Tucson.

14. Rojack79

Rojack79 Valued Member

YES!!!.... yes i love renaissance fair's. I even have a costume for it.

15. Rojack79

Rojack79 Valued Member

Do you mean why must i fight?

16. David Harrison

I knew it ;)

No, I mean why do you do the techniques in the way that you do. What are the underlying principles that inform how you apply technique.

17. Rojack79

Rojack79 Valued Member

Oh. ok. Divine intuition, coupled with anticipating my opponent's move's.

18. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

As far as I can tell God runs a Mcdojo.....

19. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

rely more on the combat skills than the divine for your own safety

People who believed that the mainly the divine would protect them during combat:
    - the boxer rebellion
    result: many chinese with many more holes in them
    - the maori during certain wars when in allegiance with the maori king cult
    result: extinction of some families
    - almost everyone who has died in a religious war ever, christian, muslim, jewish etc.

20. Rojack79

Rojack79 Valued Member

Sorry should have elaborated more. I don't just rely on my faith. I rely on my mind, body, soul, and spirit being in perfect harmony with the holy spirit to achieve maximum potential in a fight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.