~Choy Lee Fut Kung Fu ~

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by englishpremier, May 12, 2004.

1. englishpremier

englishpremier Valued Member

Thought is was about time there was another CLF thread as we are in serious danger of being taken over by all the Wing Chun and Sou shou practitioners. lol

Anyway on a more serious note, other than the information and video clips in the master class over at http://www.clfma.com/index.php (which is a great site), hoave any of you come accross any CLF clips on the net, either forms or preferably sparing or competitions? I also interested in information regarding CLF tournaments.

Other than that have any of you come accross any good online magazine (or otherwise) articles about CLF. I know Grand master Doc Fai Wong has written a few which i've read.

Do any of you have any interesting sotories about CLF or encounters with CLF practitioners?

2. FanziQuan

FanziQuan Valued Member

Hi Englishpremier,

Good to see a fellow CLF si-hing starting a thread. Which branch of CLF are you from. I'm from the Hung (Hero) Sing CLF branch direct from the founder, Chan Heung Goong. I've been practicing CLF for 14 years and love every bit of it. How about yourself? What are your favourite forms? My favourite hand form is Dai Mui Fa Bat Gwa Kuen. As for weapons forms, I'd have to say it's Dan Tau Guan. Got to stick with the most original father of all weapons.

As for the video clips. There's not too many. But I did manage to find a site that has some for you. Here it is : http://www.floridakungfu.com/

It's the site for Sifu John Wai in Florida. He's of the other Hung (Victorious) Sing CLF from founder Cheung Yim (Hung Sing). Hope this helps!

3. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

YO, Scarlet Mist checking in. I'm a CLFer, a green horn (and a green sash). I train at the Tat Wong Kung fu academy ...

Siu Mui Fa ... fresh form right there

4. englishpremier

lol, i got tired of the only kung fu threads being about WC.

I'm Doc Fai Wong branch. I haven't been studying particulary long, about a year now, so i don't really have any favourite forms as i only know a few. I'm currently learning wall bag set.

I know there are Choy li fut tournaments where full contact fighting is held as well as forms etc.. in fact some of my brothers will be attending one on the 8th August. If they exist there must be some clips out there of these events.

cheers for that link.

5. Mo Lung

Mo Lung Hard work!

Hi guys. I'm Chan Family CLF (my Sifu is Master Chen Yong Fa). There is a Chan Family world championship in Chile in October this year that will include points, full contact and forms competition. I imagine that the Chile WST office will release some video of the event. I don't know this for certain, but it's quite possible. There's also some video here from a previous championship in Poland.

6. englishpremier

cool there some nice clips, hopefully if we get enough links whenever people ask what choy li fut is on these forums we can just link them to this to they can take a look for themselves and decide whether or not its for them.

Can any of you guys shed light on the diffences in the branches of choy li fut at all. do they have different principle and/or forms or is it all pretty standard?

7. FanziQuan

FanziQuan Valued Member

Hi Scarlet Mist,

At which Sifu Tat Mau Wong School do you train at? Who teaches you? Is it Sifu Daniel Tomizaki (I hope I spelt his name correctly)? The reason I ask is because I haven't seen Sifu Tomizaki for quite some time. If you do train with him, how is he these days? I have had opportunities to compete and talk to him whenever I went down to the States or when he came to Canada. How long have you been training? Let me know.

Siu Moi Fah is a very good form.

8. Tribalweapon

Tribalweapon Valued Member

Hi

I am very interested in the Choy li fut style and was wondering if anyone knows of any schools in northeast Louisiana, preferably near Ouachita Parish. I recently bought a video and am trying to learn from that however I know it is best to have a real instructor so I thought I would ask.

9. englishpremier

Or school is going to a tournament in cheltenham on the 8th august and then later that month i think we have a few days of seminars where will be learning the double dagger form and fighting strategies of the 5 different animals, tiger, leopord, snake etc..

Anyway i was talking to my instructor about CLF tournaments and asked if he ever do anything with other schools outside of the plumblossm federation (I think thats what we're in). He said that we don't as if you lose in your own federation it will be because the other person is a better MAist than you at that time, but if you lose against another CLF federation people might see their style as superiour, and how can people from other styles judge our forms. I think he also said that he lost one once, but he is a european champion in our federation at forms and weapons.

10. Musashi Kyo

Musashi Kyo New Member

Hey, I train in the Concord ,CA Tat wong Academy under Sifu Tamizaki(spelling) Hes a tough great instructer, i wish he tought class more.
    Yeah I also train under Sifu Barbosa, 2 sifus..pretty cool, we are hogging the sifus. They also have a kickboxing center near by and stuff.

11. Mo Lung

Mo Lung Hard work!

Hmm. I think it's really sad that people think this way. If you lose a fight, it simply means that your opponent was a better fighter that day. I've won and lost fights against CLF practitioners and other styles. In fact, I won against a Bak Hok guy one day, then lost against his training buddy the same day. So, what's better? My CLF or their Bak Hok? Neither. Just the people involved in those fights on that particular day. I've since beat the guy that beat me that day, and now he wants another rematch! ;) There are no absolute truths.

12. englishpremier

i think he was just saying that other people may precieve the winning style as better.

I think the Tat wong people compete with plumblossom federation in the san francisco tournament in early september.

13. buddah_belly

buddah_belly New Member

Hey,
    I'm another CLF person and I also am affiliated with the Doc Fai Wong group. I've been doing it about three months. I dig it.

14. Dak Jeungkin

Dak Jeungkin New Member

Hello everyone,

I am of the Chan Family lineage of CLF, under Master Ng Fu Hang, and I teach in Fresno, California.

It's good to see CLF people discussing things together.

Hey Mo Lung, nice to see your around! :)

Sincerely,

15. Mo Lung

Mo Lung Hard work!

Hey Brother - nice to see you too. :)

16. englishpremier

17. gwa_sau_chap

gwa_sau_chap New Member

Siu Mui Fa is a great form, one of my favorites. I am also a CLF practitioner here in Vancouver British Columbia. I am under the Chan Family lineage and have been practising CLF for about 9 years. A few of my favorites are Dai Mui Fa, Bagua Sum, Hung Yun Bagua and Dai Hung Kay staff.

keep on practising!

18. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Hmmmm. . . . . . I train under the Lee Koon Hung CLF lineage, with Sifu Mak Hin Fai in Seattle, WA. Nice to meet you all (again).

English, are you talking about the tourney in Cali in August? I'm not able to make it due to monetary problems. However if you are going good luck.

And btw, don't diss on San Shou people (as in your first post). Tat Mau trains many a great San Shou fighters, and my school is going to start pure San Shou in a week or so.

Peace

19. GeeniusAtWurk

GeeniusAtWurk Valued Member

I'm down in the San Diego area's White Dragon CLF school. I've learned my favorite form, the Great Strong Fist, from GM Doc Fai Wong himself in a seminar late last year, and used it in the open form division in our latest tournament. Right now I'm doing 9 star conditioning.

20. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

To all students under Doc Fai Wong -- is it true he plays CLF like Tai Chi?