Choosing a football team

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by LJoll, Jul 20, 2006.

1. LJoll

LJoll Valued Member

2. johndoch

johndoch upurs

english fitba is overrated, look to the spanish or italian for the real good stuff. But the italia will suffer this season due to the scandals.

I reckon the German league will prosper due to the scandals that have hit some of the traditional Italian teams, forza Inter or maybe Romas for an outside bet

3. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

As a Man U fan born and bred, I have to defend one specific comment he made. Until some Yank dunces took over, the major difference between our spending and that of Chelsea is that we have done it over a long time, making the biggest and most profitable football business in the world, where as Chelsea's money is straight from the loaded chairman. It's like he played championship manager with money cheats on and thought "hmmm, I could actually do this in real life... why not!"

A good choice I suppose, taking into account his criteria although why those dirty scousers got to number 2 I do not know.

4. LJoll

LJoll Valued Member

:D . Exactly.

5. johndoch

johndoch upurs

You jealous mate, personally I would be.

Until the bankroller fs off. But thinkin about it the Glazer are Man Us bankrollers and they will be off soon too.

Abramovich vs Glazers = at least 3-5 yrs Chezlki domination (and who knows after that)

6. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

7. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

That was a funny article! :D

For an American he knows a hell of lot about football. (One or two little mistakes, but nothing major. :cool: )

I reckon he'd have far more 'credibility' if he went for a lower division team, but then I suppose he'd never get to see them on TV. Much more fun when he goes to see them on holiday though! :)

His initial analysis about the atmosphere was poignant. It's a pity he didn't get into English football twenty years ago when there was a REAL atmosphere inside the grounds*, before it all got McDonaldised. :bang:

* (except The 'Library', obviously.)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2006
  8. Durkhrod Chogori

Durkhrod Chogori Valued Member

9. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Because they're going to kick your whining Manc arses next season, taking the shine off for your droves of Hampshire based "fans"? :p

Mitch

10. LJoll

LJoll Valued Member

;) obviosuly. Who do you support?

11. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Leeds United.

Attached Files:

12. LJoll

LJoll Valued Member

Bunch of thugs :rolleyes:

13. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

There there, petal. ;) :D

14. LJoll

LJoll Valued Member

I think Lennon and Robinson had the right idea. It must be ard losing your two best players, especially as the're probably worth another 10x the price we payed for them. Awwww. ;)

15. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I'm a lot more disappointed about losing the likes of Robinson, Lennon and Milner than the likes of Kewell and Viduka. I'd much rather we could have kept a nucleus of homegrown talent to build on.

But I've seen too many ups and downs over the years to lose any sleep over things. We'll be back.

We've won the title three times since the last time Spurs won it, and chances are we'll win it three times more before you win it again! :p :D

16. LJoll

LJoll Valued Member

Haha. You're as close to winning the Championship as we are to winning the Premiership.

17. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Maybe you missed it, but we reached the playoff final last season! We'll be back in the Premiership very soon. :)

Spurs seem to be going in the right direction under Martin Jol, although some of his signings seem a bit odd - like the way he keeps buying more and more defensive midfielders. How many does one club actually need? :confused:

18. Taff

Taff The Inevitable Hulk

Zakora and Carrick could be one of the best midfields around. Zakora does not seem all that defensive to be honest. A bit more like a Gerrard I guess.
    Davids will stay on the "left" probably, since they missed out on Duff (Newcastle?! What was he thinking?! :D ).