[Choi Kwang Do] What's Choi Kwang Do?

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Intan86, Feb 23, 2004.

1. amiller127

amiller127 Chief Instructor

In fact, im posting the two dobok patches for the TKD styles that GMC created after the ITF. Check out the gallery

2. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Hey, I accept no responsibility for that thread. In fact during it I was much more polite and restrained than I usually am now.

3. thehaggishunter

thehaggishunter Aberdeen, Scotland

4. BoredNow

BoredNow Valued Member

twisting kick is basic?

I'm doomed... :)

5. thehaggishunter

Its the red belt kick - so not one of the first learnt.

Page show rear leg - so to be more precise, its the red senior kick.

6. amiller127

7. Dave Rees

Dave Rees Old Git!

Mine neither! :cry:

8. thehaggishunter

Its a pdf file - you have to have adobe acrobat reader - if you dont goto http://www.adobe.co.uk/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

However - it didnt work on mine either and i have reader - what to do is right click on link - choose save target as - save file to your pc, then open it locally.

(or i can email my copy to you)

Pil Sung

9. Wynnston

Wynnston Member

I wouldn't worry too much, presumably he means basic in the context of the entire technical syllabus from white belt to the highest examined dan (4th I think).

W

10. morphus

morphus Doobrey

It looks quite good - it looks like it's going to be a manual too (besides a biography) - i am quite surprised at that really, 'cos it's kind of setting technique in stone. Can't wait for the finished product.

11. black dwarf

black dwarf Valued Member

I know what you mean. I think it's quite good though, because at the moment there's probably quite a bit of scope for misinterpretation in the teaching of some techniques. (By that I don't mean that there shouldn't be different ways of explaining things or different styles of teaching. And there is never going to be any substitute for having a good instructor ). Probably doesn't mean there won't be more changes in future, but maybe these are already starting to slow down as the art matures?......I suppose GMC wants to ensure that his thoughts are captured fully in print for future generations.....like you I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished product. It's been a long time coming, but I'm sure it's really going to be worth the wait!

12. morphus

morphus Doobrey

yeah well i have gone on to change the way i've done some of my tech's because of other instructors....only to be told "no you were doing it right before" by another. Quite frustrating really!

Now i can see how it should be done & work on it for myself from the book, have been doing that with the first vids for quite a while since all that fuss with other instructors. I was an instructor already when all this happened & felt that instructors have to find their own interpretation too often, especially as in my area there are'nt many higher level intructors around.

I have to say you should really listen to your instructor at all times. It's just i don't really have access to one regularly.

13. black dwarf

black dwarf Valued Member

Yes, we've all been there!! usually starts after gold belt. Probably something to do with the "newness" of CKD and fact still more fluid than MA's that have been around for hundreds of years, although I guess you get these things in any area of life and in other MA's as well...now I just listen carefully to everyone and try to extract the best bits from everything I'm given.

I have a great deal of respect for just about all the CKD instructors I have met so far. They are very dedicated and do the whole CKD teaching thing on top of their full-time "day job", for no personal gain other than a desire to help others and a love of the art itself....which is why I just get so upset when I see someone trying to buck the system...spoils it for us all.

14. amiller127

Ahem. Im always available if you need me. Just an emailm away ;)

15. Chris Yates

Chris Yates Valued Member

I would suggest that the CKD techniques that GMC displays are the correct way to do them for him. People are different shapes/sizes, and they have varying strengths/weaknesses/abilities . These factors affect the way the human body moves naturally, and what the individual can do.

I believe that techniques should be adapted to your own body, so if you have been practising CKD for an amount of time to allow you to be an instructor yourself (assuming you started as a white belt CKD), then you should have adapted / twealked a technique to suit you.

My final word is something that I base on my own teaching:

IF YOU CANNOT GIVE A VALID REASON FOR CORRECTING A TECHNIQUE, THEN DO NOT CORRECT IT

Especially if the person you are correcting is experienced.

16. Rossignol

Rossignol Valued Member

Well said. Couldn't agree more.

17. morphus

morphus Doobrey

Mr Miller, how are you? Haven't seen you in a while. I know you & a few other instructors are just a call away & thanks.
    I meant actual one to one training...but thats not just them not being around but the time i can give too.

18. thehaggishunter

Got to see the draft of the book over the past few days with Master P here in Aberdeen - its something else - should be out early part of next year - got some photos of it that i may share :) when i get them rest of the sorted.

Pil Sung

19. kungfufighter

kungfufighter Banned Banned

I'm not trying to offend anyone or insult anyone or anyhting, but that speed punching video seemed like it was fast fowarded, i mean look at his feet move, it went form left to right like without you seeing it. Interesting style though.

20. amiller127

Not speeded up that I know of. Ive certainly seen him go that speed and faster in real life.

At the 15th Anniversary Seminar he did this 24 punch combination. He had all the 4th Dans and above on stage with him. He had finished 2 by the time the other most senior CKD people in the world had finished their first.

:D

Nippy little guy isnt he?