[Choi Kwang Do] troble lineing up punches

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Ghoul, Sep 8, 2006.

1. Ghoul

Ghoul your newest role model

i can't seam to line up stright punches proberly, i am under the impression that you are serposed to make contact with the two inside knucles, however i have a very pronounced knuckle on my middle finger making my fist very pointy so when i try to make contact with these fingers my wrist isent stright, and when my wrist is ligned up, i make contact with the outside 3.

its starting to anoy me, (let alone how hard closed fist pressups are since nomatter how my hand is placed i cant spread the weight on to my whole hand and end up balanced on half my fist)

2. Lily

Lily Valued Member

LMAO at the spelling *cough*. Sorry.

Umm, use the search function.

3. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Some of the punches do allow contact with the outside three knuckles, and to be honest if you are unable to throw a punch and make contact with the first two knuckles it is not of huge importance. Try altering the angle a little is all I can suggest.

Onto another question though, which CKD instructor is making you do closed-fist pressups?

4. amiller127

amiller127 Chief Instructor

More to the point who is the CI still teaching straight punch??? Not seen that one for a LONG time. I liked that punch.....

5. BoredNow

BoredNow Valued Member

I was told as an AI that this shouldn't be a problem. i.e. not everyone can make a fist, some people have the middle knuckle sticking out etc.

The 'hit with first 2 knuckles' is an ideal, as with everything else in Choi if you can't do that then do what you can do. Especially if punching is causing you pain, then try to vary how you punch to find a method that works for you.

With the round punches vertical round and the kind of upwards vertical round then bottom 3 knuckles is the aim. (Note to self try to remember English terminology, 3 months out of Choi I can remember all the Korean but the English names have gone!)

6. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Good point, I'd forgotten that straight punch had been removed from the syllabus. It was a good punch, even if it was almost identical to inwards.

7. amiller127

:D

Actually I used to teach that but its been corrected and isnt ideal. Aim for hitting with the middle knuckle and the last but one knuckle if you can. The pinkie finger is the smallest bone knuckle wise and if your hitting with full power you have more risk of damaging it. So aim to use the 2 knuckles, but if you catch it with the 3 i wouldnt worry too much.

As for having a student who cant make fists. Ive had one or two people like that. I usually have them practice the inward punches lightly on shield drills etc until they feel comfortable and will sometimes teach them the palm strikes to let them have something to use with power....

8. BoredNow

BoredNow Valued Member

dammit, behind the times again! :)

So say for inwards punch it's still first 2 knuckles? but for sewo dolya jirugi use the middle and ring finger knuckles?

9. amiller127

Got it in one :p

10. Ghoul

Ghoul your newest role model

never done pressups in ckd, but when i used to do kung fu the first thing he used to say at the start of each lession was "on your knuckles fifty" and once after doing that for a while it just became part of my daily routine. bescided you'll find closed fist pressups in the big bible o'ckd (or whatever it was called) so im sure some do it somwhere. thinking about it its probabley them that made me punch with the outside 3 since those are the ones i end up doing most pressups on, (after the firt few balanced on the inside 2 i tend to slip down onto the others thus they toughened up alot better)

not stright punch sorry, inwards punch, im not down with the termonology im afraid