[Choi Kwang Do] Jamming.

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by morphus, Feb 6, 2004.

1. morphus

morphus Doobrey

I have been interested in this concept for a while now. I'm not experienced in it as we don't practice it within CKD but i am trying to form my own version of it to use within my personal art/way which obviously i will mix with CKD. The type i'm basing my version on is wing chun/JKD type of Jamming, however thats only from reading books & DVD's. Anyone ever trained using it?

2. amiller127

amiller127 Chief Instructor

Yup. Had a few lessons practicing a little jaming every now and then. Not sure what kind of art the jammig was from though.

3. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

What exactly do you mean by jamming? The only types I can think of are musical, or detection-related. Are you talking about intercepting techniques, or something else entirely?

4. amiller127

Jamming. The way I was taught it is a last minute way of taking an impact. You dont block but use a limb to absorb the impact. Then you counter.

5. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Ow, pain bad. On the other hand its better than getting hit. But then again, better to block and open up an opportunity than 'jam'. Just my own opinion.

6. amiller127

Couldnt agree with you more. The way ive been explained it is that it is a last minute thing.. Just like when you block off of the front arm, you keep the rear arm in a guard position. Its there to absorb an impact if you block to quick or if someone uses a double punch.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2004
  7. morphus

morphus Doobrey

I was thinking more interception. Intercepting the strike (or whatever) at the chambering point, before the weapon has time to deploy - it is difficult to time & can take you into very close range. I think, using the jamming techniques as strikes makes more sense of this as you cause immediate distraction & also immediate damage, then you can move directly into whatever mode (takedown - strikes - closerange tech's) the situation dictates.

8. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

^^^ More what I was thinking of. Jamming a punch just before it is thrown. Kinda like trapping really, but it's just before the strike is thrown.

9. bigalexe

bigalexe Young 1 with big head

i thought that jamming was when you block a punch or whatever and then get up into the person's face for the counter-attack

10. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Can't speak for CKD but in all the stuff I've trained jamming is a foundational principle. It's a matter of jamming the attack before it really gets launched. So, for instance, as they start their round kick, I do a front kick to their thigh to jam the kick. As they start their front kick, I do an oblique kick to their shin to jam the kick. As they start their hook, I do a straight shot to their bicep to jam the punch. As they start their backfist, I do a straight shot to their forearm to jam the backfist.

The term "interception" is applicable to this as well - but "interception" also has a broader implication and can include deflections and absorptions.

Make some sense?

Mike

11. morphus

morphus Doobrey

pesilat - Absolutely, this is the sort of technique i was talking about. You're of course right when you say interception is a more broad subject, covering much more than the 'jamming' i am referring to.
    The technique i am attempting incorporate is to perhaps, trap a strike &/or jam a strike by moving in on the advancing aggressor, done at speed using the opponants weight & momentum against themselves, pressing him catching/tipping them off balance. Takedowns can be encorporated within this maneuver. The pivitol point of the upsetting being ensuring your leg followed by your body weight passes the opponants centre of gravity. Used at the right moment in a confrontation it could prove highly valuable.

12. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Only thing I'd change would be "ensuring your leg driven by your body weight"

If your body weight follows your leg you'll be sacrificing some of your own balance. This may just be an issue of semantics but I thought I'd point that out just in case :)

Mike

13. morphus

morphus Doobrey

Yeah - i prob' mean more or less body & leg together the time in between is immeasurable & would depend on the situation.

Cheers for the advice pesilat - any other forms of jamming or trapping that sounds like it may gell with what i'm trying to do? :)

Or even ways to train the jamming. i'e shields - focus mitts drills??? I got a couple but can't hurt to get some more.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2004
  14. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Hm. Well, in the FMA I study we do "meet the force", "follow the force", and "be one with the force" - wait, that last one is kinda specific to Yoda (couldn't resist) :)

Classical jamming would usually fall into the "meet the force" category and, unless you broaden the definition of "jamming", there's only one method of doing that - the one we've been discussing - though that one method could theoretically be broken down into many others.

Trapping, however, is a critter of a different color. If you haven't read my article "Applied Trap Hands" in the magazine section here, that'd be my recommendation of where to start. http://www.martialartsplanet.com/magazine/articles/appliedtraphands.htm

In trapping, by my definition which I laid out in that article, you can also use the "follow the force" category. So, for instance, if the guy is throwing a hook, a "follow the force" method would be to bob under the hook then come up behind it to trap it - or, if it starts to come back in a backfist, this could also be considered a jam.

That conceptual kernel can lead down a lot of different paths.

As far as drills to practice jamming. You can have your partner feed you the focus mitts as normal but occasionally throw in a hook, uppercut, or backfist which you jam. He can also throw in kicks that you can jam - if your partner's a little tender or skittish he might want to wear shin pads for when you jam his front kick and, generally, a cup is a good idea 'cause when you jam his round kicks it's pretty easy to graze the groin on the way to or from the thigh. Round kicks can also be jammed out at the shin with a kick or with a shin shield - but I personally prefer to jam them at the thigh with a kick or knee (depending on range) before there's any real power built up.

I would recommend that you always look for methods of balance disruption with this material. When jamming a round kick, for instance, try to find a line for your jam that unbalances him. When jamming a front kick, a good sharp kick can sometimes unbalance them, but if you do a stomping style jam, you can often unbalance them and draw them right into your hand range.

Mike

15. morphus

morphus Doobrey

Cheers Mike - I have read your article which together with a few other articles by different people & videos & such that i've seen were the reason for the interest in the first place. So i experimented a bit to see if it could work with what we do, it seems to work quite well. However without a teacher, i'm pretty much teaching myself, which makes me think i could be missing something, part of the picture. Will be adapting some of the drills soon.

Cheers.

16. Reysi-Paswa

Reysi-Paswa New Member

Not sure about other styles as most of the research I have covered has tended to centre around Jeet Kune Do concepts as detailed by Larry Hartsell and Ron Ballicki, as well as the works contained in The Tao of JKD. I will be the first to admit that I am nowhere near competent in the application of trapping and jamming that Morphus is discussing, but I do think that maybe it should be part of a fighting art syllabus.
    My limited understanding is that 'jamming' a technique, is not necessarily a last minute response. Rather it could be used to 'intercept' a technique that has been anticipated/telegraphed. Any further thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.