[Choi Kwang Do] CKD for self defence?

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Aegis, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

CKD is pretty much revealed to the world now - and the emperor has no clothes

2. daveblue

daveblue Banned Banned

I must say that although i am not training in choi kwang do at this time that master choi is a fantastic martial artist still at his age,where the trouble lies is the quality of the instructors and i suppose that is what happens with mass franchise type martial arts,when they get too big the quality goes down.

Last edited: May 28, 2011
  3. Hannibal

HE may well be capable and talented; the ART he has inflicted on the world most certainly is not

4. daveblue

daveblue Banned Banned

hi hannabal have you tried choi as you seem to know something about it?

5. Hannibal

Nope - nor XMA, nor Tae Bo, nor Ballet...but I have VAST experience in MA's, self-protection, combat psychology, reality of violence, armed and unarmed encounters, C&R, lethal force scenarios, stand-offs & negotiations, mass attacks and numerous other facets of modern combat and combatives.

That is in addition to my traditional training in Karate, Ju-Jitsu & Budo; My not so traditional in JKD, ROSS, BJJ, Muay Thai, CACC & Boxing and my 13 years as an LEO and a handful as a doorman prior to joining "the Job"

So although I have not trained in the art I know crap self-protection when I see it.

Art for arts sake with CKD?
    Not an issue - have fun, make friends

Telling me that is effective for defending yourself?
    Bollocks - and dangerous bollocks at that

hope this clarifies

Edit: If you can show me GOOD CKD then please do so - I have NEVER seen any ANYWHERE in all the videos that the practitioners wax lyrical about; If you can show me differently then my mind is always open to change and my opinions are never set in stone.....except the ones about "Twilight" being a literary and cinematic abomination

Last edited: May 28, 2011
  6. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

For the record, I have, so my comments do come from a little experience of actually training with a CKD instructor.

7. Hannibal

To evaluate a system you need not train in that system provided the evaluation is coming from some position of experience.

Now it is possible I am missing something - but when the techniques are sloppy, the training zero pressure and the body mechanics abysmal I need not know anything further.

If it looks like crap and smells like crap it certainly isn't shinola...

8. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

CKD is a turd.

An obvious, obvious turd.

9. daveblue

daveblue Banned Banned

Hi its mainly about choi kwang do and a number of incorrect posts,you may see bad practitioners of many different arts and like tai chi it looks slow but when used in self defence it is fast,and some times as i had many years of tai chi people thinck its useless but as said its deadly,but there again there are the people who only pratice for health,and getting back to choi if a student puts in 100% then he will be very powerful do you really think that choi instructors that received high levels in karate,kung fu,and tae kwon do and many more would have converted to choi kwang do if it was rubbish no it was down to the training many had with Master choi and if you see him you will realise how much power and grace this man has even at his age now.
    So if anyone trains like Master choi seven days a week and hard he or she can become quite good im not shaw if as good as master choi but can attain a high level its mainly down to his or her instructor and only yourself as you are the only one in any art that makes the choice to be a hare trainer or lazy.
    As Master choi has said many are lazy and do not do as he does.

10. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Or you can go to Thai, BJJ or a specific SD class twice a week, get "quite good" and still have time for a nice cuppa and a biccie. :)

11. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Paragraphs are your friend.

:cool:

Daveblue,

Please list specific self defence training that the system covers.

12. Hatamoto

Hatamoto Beardy Man Kenobi Supporter

Punctuation, too.

There is truth in what you say Dave, a friend of mine does taekwondo and through his own research and application has made it a lot more effective than it was taught to him. But as PASmith said, if that's what you want from a martial art you might as well go to one that teaches it that way, and you'll improve a lot faster, with less time spent on your own research and tweaking. Would you buy a VCR you know is broken, even if you know you could fix it, if you could buy a fully working one for the same price?

Showing my age now with using VCR as an example lol

It could be you want to buy the broken machine as a kind of project, because you enjoy seeing how you can improve a thing and making it better, and that's fine. But it would be unreasonable to then suggest to others that VCRs are never broken.

I think the analogy trailed off a little, but do you get what I mean?

Personally I do martial arts more because I enjoy the mechanics of it, more than for self defense purposes only, so I have no problem with arts that don't train "hardcore," but that said, when the huge majority of a system's practitioners play it as a dance, it should perhaps stop being advertised as effective self defense.

13. daveblue

daveblue Banned Banned

Hi Dean i am not defending or taking part in choi at this time, but i have seen master choi and as i see it its a kind of kick boxing with tae kwon do as the art once was,the forms are combinations of punches and kicks with no lock out movements to jar your body,and also kicks with the standing leg heal raised to gain more through power.
    I am trying to make my mind up between choi and ving tsun i think the latter takes a long time to learn but is good if you have wong shun leongs ex students.

14. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

But it's not just one or two bad schols in choi is it? It's every school I've seen at least, and every media spot CKD has ever had. . . where are these good effective schools?

Effective tai chi is generally fairly easy to spot. Because they train hard train pushhands and fight sanda. You can't draw parallels between the drivel seen in CKD to martial tai chi... because that's an insult to those cma systems that achieve consistant results.

where's the proof of this?

YES. So they could gain instructorship set up school and teach or because the styles/orgs they came from are just as bad and they don't know any better - those are two possible reasons why and I'm sure there are others (none of which involve ckd being worth a crap).

Then why can't any of the ckd dan grades in media showcases or on youtube punch or kick with balance, coordination and power? Why are the self defence drills such fantasy based BS. Why does everyone look so skilless?

I'm just going through this list of schools in the UK - when I find a decent looking one I'll let you know...

http://choikwangdo.com/get-involved/club-locator/

15. Dean Winchester

Thank you for the response.

However there's no real self defence mentioned in it.

This is a problem with the way some TMA are taught, they claim to teach SD but don't come anywhere near the subject matter.

16. Hannibal

What everyone else said

Arts I am personally not a huge fan of I can still see good examples of instructors who can "walk the walk" - so whilst I might not like the system for me personally I can see it's merits.

CKD has NOT ONCE shown me anything to suggest it is anything more than strip-mall martial arts sold towards that section of the populace who believe that wearing the magic pyjamas and waving your legs around will mean you know self-defence.

Show me an example of "good" CKD and I will revaluate...but I am not holding my breath

17. daveblue

daveblue Banned Banned

i do think that if you want street self defence then krav maga,vingtsun are good if you find the right sifu, i know of one of wong shun leongs ex students is very good and has many years of this art.
    Although it takes a while to put wing chun into practice it is deadly in the right hands,and this sifu does not offer grades as master wong did not only when they think you are worthy you may get a signed cert.

18. Dean Winchester

You seem to misunderstand self defence.

19. daveblue

daveblue Banned Banned

No dean i do not as its the art of fighting without fighting?

20. Dean Winchester

No that's a book by Geoff Thompson :p

Your posts indicated that you might misunderstand SD. You didn't mention anything to do with it then started making comments about things being "deadly".

I've only got your posts to go on at the end of the day.