[Choi Kwang Do] Choi Kwang Do

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by LilBunnyRabbit, Jun 29, 2002.

1. Cain

Cain New Member

400th post by cain in the infamous CKD thread :D

|Cain|

2. johndoch

johndoch upurs

What 400 posts in CKD thread I think u need to get out more:D

3. Cain

Cain New Member

Oh don't worry Doc, this thread could go upto 1000 ;)

Next post please :D

|Cain|

4. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Evidently traditional means a different thing to you, this is the point I was trying to make, traditional means different things to different people, I was trying to explain that when I say traditional I mean something different, and I'm not trying to insult your definition of tradition, merely saying that what I say about traditional arts does apply to what I choose to call traditional arts.

Not really. Only if I were to use your definition of traditional would it be nonsense. Its semantics.

Nope, still seems to be raining to me. Or maybe that's just a localised storm because people disagree with my definitions.

5. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

BULL####!!!

That is one of the worst defences I have ever seen. You know that there a good number of schools that call themselves traditional that don't match you definition. In fact you know should know that the vast majority of schools calling themself traditional don't match your definition.

So to come out and say that "traditional" arts do this.... when you know that most traditional schools don't do that is insulting. To claim that that is not what you meant by "traditional" is a lame excuse for the insult.

It is misleading and you know that. Or do you consider it ok to intentionally mislead people?

All crayons are red. Well what about these green, blue, orange, black and brown ones? Well thats not what I meant by crayons. By "Crayons" I only mean those crayons that are red.

Give it up. Admit that you goofed and drop it. Trying to waffle your way out isn't going to help you.

6. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

The schools that call themselves traditional that I have seen do do that though, I've not come across one calling itself traditional that doesn't, they may exist, but I have not personally seen one yet.

The schools that I've seen which do not teach what I'd call traditional usually call themselves modern, or have no attachment to their name.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2003
  7. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

:D , you said doo doo! :Angel:

8. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

We can't even discuss this topic because we can't agree what the word traditional means :D

9. ROBERT

ROBERT New Member

Main Entry: tra·di·tion
    Pronunciation: tr&-'di-sh&n
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle English tradicioun, from Middle French & Latin; Middle French tradition, from Latin tradition-, traditio action of handing over, tradition -- more at TREASON
    Date: 14th century
    1 : an inherited, established, or customary pattern of thought, action, or behavior (as a religious practice or a social custom)
    2 : the handing down of information, beliefs, and customs by word of mouth or by example from one generation to another without written instruction
    3 : cultural continuity in social attitudes, customs, and institutions
    4 : characteristic manner, method, or style

Everyone that performs a martial art in the way it was taught to them is practicing a traditional martial art. There is no time requirements for tradition.

Some people on this thread have made up there own(wrong) definition of the word tradition.

Tradition does NOT mean different things. IT HAS a set definition. To say it means something other than the above is like saying "to me, the word chair means table."

If ckd has any characteristic style, then it is traditional.

Robert

10. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

I've no problems with Choi, and I don't think many people on here have. Except for the issue of sparring. It seems to be that choi or should that be certain choi practitioners ;) have a problem with other martial arts.

These are such ill informed views on what other martial artists do. And instead of teaching people about the virtues of choi, your just making them hate it!

Don't forget scientific training methods are available to all martial artists these days, and have been for some time! :)

11. amiller127

amiller127 Chief Instructor

A few months ago i got into a disussion with some people on this board about blocking and why using the two bones in the foreara to absorb the force was better than only using the one. I found this link recently from some Karate instructor who is advocating using the two bones to block. Give it a read and let me know what you think?

http://www.fightingarts.com/reading/article.php?id=334

12. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

I personally completely concur with Ron Van der Sandt's view. I think it indicates a downgrading in the knowledge base within part, but not all, of the karate world. When blocking a hard weapon it seems to me totally sensible to block with both bones. Further, most karate blocks allow for this. The twist at the end occurs momentarily after impact, not before. The twist to the single bone position is very important. It enables you to recruit more muscles (ie. those that rotate the forearm) to help deflect and control the blow. So the single bone block is extremely useful, it just needs to be properly understand and to be timed appropriate - it contains the double bone block within it.

There is an old maxim within Karate - Strike a hard target with a soft weapon, and a soft traget with a hard weapon. The same applies to 'blocking'. Block a hard weapon (eg. the outside of the arm or a stick) with something soft, eg. a double bone block that then rotates. Block a soft weapon (eg. the inner aspect of the arm) with something hard (eg. a single bone 'block'). Its all a question of using what's appropriate at the time.

I remember in the same discussion someone talking about using both bones for elbow strikes. This, however, is not possible, as a simple examination of the anatomy of the arm will show. I grant though that there are probably pros and cons about which way the forearm is rotated as you strike with the elbow.

Mike

13. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

14. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

Haven't read it yet, but two is fairly standard in Okinawan karate. ..or at least it was, and as I understand still is in Okinawa.

What looks like a single bone block makes contact with both, but the follow through rotates. At the completion of the follow through it will look like a single, but this is a mistake. It is a double that rotates on the follow through.

15. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Andy I don’t think you should make fun of people that abuse themselves, it’s a very delicate subject. And a lot of praise must be given to CKD for taking these useless cripples in!

Apparently them lads from MTV’s Jackass have decided to take up Choi after grave concerns that traditional martial arts will damage them!

Safety first! ;)

16. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Firstly, there is nothing wrong with masochism.

Secondly, at least we don't cripple them.

:D

17. Bushi

Bushi New Member

Hmmm

Do you know if there's a CKD school in Austria, Vienna?

18. morphus

morphus Doobrey

Sorry, not that we are aware of!:)

19. Cain

Cain New Member

ssshhhh....it's all starting again....

|Cain|

20. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Whats CKD? Do you do a lot of sparring?

muhahahahaha (as Yoda would say)

;)