Chipshop...

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Mr Punch, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Topher

Topher allo!

I think that multiculturalism is a failed concept. It promotes the segregation of groups into there own communities. It tends to highlight the difference. And it creates the political correctness of being scared of offending people.

So I think we need to encourage people to embrace the culture they choose to join.

That being said, you can’t force ‘Britishness’ (or any culture) on people as it wouldn’t be genuine. You need to focus on the mechanism that allow it to develop. Obviously if we tell them to forget about their culture, they will likely go deeper into it.

If a British National Day helps this process all the better. But what would it entail, and why would we need a special say to do this?

I see your point in some sense – we don’t just wave a flag simply for the sake of doing so, just for being British, which is what Americans do. But when it comes to certain occasions, such as sports events (and also what Mr Punch posted) we’re out with the best of them.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2007
  2. Yossarian

Yossarian Valued Member

As far as I can see the only difference between English/Scots/Irish/Welsh are the accents. Were all the same now apart from maybe a few regional dishes(jellied eels, haggis etc) and the Scots are harder than the rest :D

I'll give you a Scottish perspective on devolution. Since i've been alive the UK government hasnt cared much about any part of the UK other than the south east. Scots feel they had a bad deal from Westminster during Thatchers reign so when given the chance to vote for some regional powers of thier own they took it.

Even though the Scottish parliment has limited powers, some of its decisions have caused resentment south of the border. There are no tuition fees at uni's for example and theres the West Lothian question(Scottish labour Mps voted for tuition fees in England). I can see why people are annoyed about this, Im quite jelous of the free prescriptions in Wales. Scotland has always tended to vote left wing, now that there are no major left wing parties in Westminster you can expect a swing to parties like the SNP.

3. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

haha!

Your telling me you really dont know??...

...well, they are chips with grated cheese on top...add beans and wallah!!

lovely jubbly! :D

I like it more than Welsh rarebit anyway! :p

4. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

Tut, tut, typical English, don't you mean voilá? :D

5. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

lol true!!

Isnt "Wallah" something Indian?!?! :D

6. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

Not sure, isn't it one of Bruce Lee's war cries?

WALLAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! :D

7. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I think the blue-rinse brigade got excited about the Queen's jubilee, but most I reckon most people were completely disinterested. And sporting events are a different kettle of fish entirely.

I was thinking of things like flying a rlag in your garden. The first time I went to the states I thought it was hilarious the way so many yanks did it. I figured they probably needed reminding! ;) :D

But now you see the same thing more and more over here. And I think it's very un-British. We're supposed to be undemonstrative for goodness sake! :D

8. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

So then wouldn't we be encouraging the political correctness of everyone feeling they have to be 'British' enough?

I think you are right when you say you can't force it. It has to happen naturally.

I thought you were American? :confused:

9. Mr Punch

Mr Punch Homicidal puppet

Agreed.

Well, you should do it in an idiom of typical understatement: first off, announce to the public that they're getting another national holiday! Everyone would be delighted! Then, in your choice, choose something suitably historic yet obscure as an excuse for the date... say, the date the Magna Carta was signed (June 15th or 16th was it? Hell, make them both holidays! :D ), or St Edmund's Day (Nov 20th - though I like the June idea better!).

10. Mr Punch

It was everywhere at the time, and while it would be unBritish to be excited about it and not to moan about it, I reckon there were a lot more than just the blue-rinsers out there.

Buuuut, sporting events often set the benchmark for the rest of popular culture to follow don't they? Goits who flew the flag for the Falklands flew the Union Jack... as did those eighties' sports fans I mentioned... it's more recently that people have started to fly St George's Cross in response to various sporting events perceived as 'England' 's achievements (or lack of!) or struggle. It's from there and the accompanying lad culture resurgence that this 'English' national pride has sprung from, no?

Sure... that's why we need St Edmund! :D National pride through absurdist reductionism! :D

11. Mr Punch

That surprises me. I wouldn't have said your opinion was representative... even as a British Englishman! ;)

Another thing the Celtic nations and their Anglo-Saxon/Norse counterparts have always shared: a love of, or at least pride in, fighting.

Fair enough, but since the govt is in the southeast and the southeast has the highest proportion and concentration of the population by far, this bias is natural. Doesn't necessarily make it any better - but sometimes where the Scots see anti-Scottish bias in the regional powers it's not necessarily any worse than an anti-Brummie bias, or anti-Scouser bias, surely?

Where's the Mercian Parliament!? :D

That is pretty damned insulting. Another example of a lack of joined-up thinking (cliche though it's fast becoming).

Which is also precisely the problem with the BNP and Plaid Cymru. And no, I'm not equating the mindset of Plaid with the BNP, but individual instances of extreme racism aside (and I've met some real thugs who supported Plaid too) the separatism is a worry for those like me who believe we are better off together (and even like the company! ;) )

New Labour's cynicism, with the tacit support of the cynics all through British society, is destroying Britishness at the very same time as trying to recreate (falsely qualify) it, debating its essence and lamenting its loss!

Maybe.

Vote me! :D

12. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

These are both dates to do with England, I Was going to suggest the day the act of union was signed but this is apparently may the 1st so it's in use.
    11th July James the 1st and 6th's English coronation (union of crowns)?

13. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil wants to go climbing...

and the Scots are harder than the rest

Pffffttt. Come 'on then wee man! pogue muh ho'in!!!
    [​IMG]

Trust me to have made THIS my 1000th post :rolleyes:

14. Mr Punch

I'd already thought of a more universally British one; but the signing of the Act of the Union was May 1st and it came into power on Jan 1st... :rolleyes:
    July would be good...

Or, to celebrate diversity within Britain, I think we should have National Holidays on St David's Day, St Andrew's Day, St Patrick's Day, and St George's or St Edmund's Days... imagine how delighted we would be then! (And maybe somewhat closer to some other developed countries to numbers of National Holidays!) :D

I'm tellin ya, everyone, vote me, it's the only way forward! :D

15. Victoria

Victoria Pretzel In Training

:eek: An English thread!!!

:yeleyes:

I wonder how many of those over the pond are utterly confused by England not meaning the whole of Britain after all :rolleyes:

I best get all my English digs in now before I move there!

16. Victoria

Victoria Pretzel In Training

A sign outside a secondhand shop in England:

"We exchange anything - bicycles, washing machines, etc.
    Why not bring your wife along and get a wonderful bargain."

17. Topher

Topher allo!

There's no difference. It is still aligning yourself to a national identity, then promoting it.

I don't think so. We would not be making them feel they have to be British - as I said that, can't be forced - instead we need to encourage people embrace the culture and to some extent the values of their host country, instead of encouraging segregation and separation which I think is a product of multiculturalism. I think some things should be a requirement though, like language lesions.

When I refer to political correctness I’m talking about the fear against offending people of different cultures or religions. Institutions, local governments and schools are anxious about offending people in the most ridiculous ways (flying a flag, nursery rhymes, saying ‘Merry Christmas’ etc)

Me. American! Nahhh :woo: I’m London born and bread, hence ‘London Town’ as my location. :D

Last edited: Jun 8, 2007
  18. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

AHHH...but have you ever had a buck rarebit? :p

19. Mr Punch

Sounds nasty. Not sure we should be promoting those.

20. Topher

Topher allo!

LOL :eek: