Check out a song by a band I've been producing...

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Neil-o-Mac, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Neil-o-Mac

Neil-o-Mac The Rev

The Mocha Nights - Sebastian's Dreamboat (T-Break Mix)

These guys are a funky upbeat pop rock group with great musicianship and a campyness to rival Queen in their heyday. The song's kind of about a pompous pseudo celebrity who swans about thinking that he's the best thing since sliced bread, all set to an upbeat pop/rock tune.

Enjoy, and give feedback if you wish.

Oh, and there's another song at their myspace page.

2. jonmonk

jonmonk New Member

I liked that. It's well recorded and like you say, the musicianship is excellent, they can really play.

I think the only thing for me (not that I know what the hell I'm talking about mind) is that I wasn't sure where the hook was. The texture of the verse is very similar to the texture of the chorus so as a listener, I got a little lost as to where the song had got to.

Like I say, I'm no expert and perhaps that's exactly what you're after in which case fair play. I reckon it could do with building more tension in the verses then resolving that tension in the chorus / hook / mid 8 or (excellent) guitar solo. IMO the hook should nail the song to the listener, I just kinda thought it got lost a little... but I did really like it.

EDIT: BTW, did you record it in a prof studio or at home?

3. Neil-o-Mac

Neil-o-Mac The Rev

Basically a 'home' recording (well, three homes actually, started in the bass player's house doing the drums and bass in november, then to one of the guitarists' house in december for some guitars and keyboards, then off to the other guitarist's house since january for the rest), but we had some pretty 'pro' quality gear and software - Mackie mixing desk, M-Audio Delta sound card, a couple of nice Mesa/Boogie amps, etc all running into Cakewalk Pro Audio 9.

I kinda know where you're coming from as regards the arrangement, too. 'Auditions for the dates...' etc is meant to be the 'chorus', but it's maybe not as much of a change of tack from the verse as it could be.

4. Neil-o-Mac

Neil-o-Mac The Rev

5. john yates

john yates Valued Member

good, jonmonk got it spot on,if you ever do a gig in brum i would go keep it up

6. medi

medi Sadly Passed Away - RIP

Good sound

7. Neil-o-Mac

Neil-o-Mac The Rev

The two songs already posted and a third one (Metroman City) are now available in finished fully mixed form at the band's Myspace Page.