Challenging someone to a fight

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Tman, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Tman

Tman Valued Member

I have a relation who is the biggest bona quibus fruimus I've ever known. I wont go into details, but I can pretty much promise you, you'd feel as I do if it were you.

I'd like to get him in the ring, to avoid legal implications and to stay on the right side of the law. If he refuses my challenge, I'll have the satisfaction at least of reminding him on a regular basis that he's a coward.

Wondering if anyone has been in this situation, and if/how they managed to get the person concerned in the ring?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2016
  2. EdiSco

EdiSco Likes his anonymity

Excellent idea! :D I've had a few instances where someone's tried to bully me and I just didn't take them seriously and laughed at them and said something like "real men fight in the ring. Pussies fight in the streets." Let's be real men, what do you say?

If I were you, tell him his bravado and obnoxious behaviors are to cover his weaknesses and cowardice. you know, he's overcompensating for something perhaps? that's why he's overbearing and displays overcompensating behaviors. Then challenge his manhood and say show us what a real man you are - in a boxing ring. The place where real men and noblemen settle disputes :D

btw I assume you're a boxer/kickboxer and have some experience? Otherwise it'd be a bad idea.....

Edit: I'm assuming he really is a nasty person and needs to be taught to respect others. Otherwise, you'd be the bully. if he refuses, shake his hand and say "you don't have to like me, but you must respect me as I respect you" Simple.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

If it were me I'd disassociate myself from said relative. Problem over.

Sounds like to can give him a beating, so he is hardly a coward for not wanting to get in the ring.

It seems rather than disassociating yourself from the situation you want to deal with it using violence, which is foolish in the extreme.

1.1 MAP Community Purpose:
    The core purpose of the Martial Arts Planet (MAP) community is to bring people together for the purpose of the friendly exchange of information relating to the study of the Martial Arts and associated topics.

In addition to the above we have very strong feeling is regard to bullying and self defence.

Your solution is to be the bully and we can't condone such action.

4. Tman

Tman Valued Member

I appreciate the advise Simon.

I'll put this question to you, would your advice still stand if threats were made to elderly or young members of your immediate family?

If I wished to fight back or make a point in such a situation, and in an entirely legal manner, does that make me a bully?

5. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

The problem with the physical approach is you can only deal with it when you are there.

You can't deal with it while you are at work / school etc.

Bullies wait until you are gone. They'll notice your car isn't in the driveway and that's when they'll strike.

By going physical you could be provoking this kind of attack.

Far better to take other measures to make sure the vulnerable can remain safe.

CCTV, alarms, always walking in pairs or with an adult, making sure mobile phones are charged and emergency numbers in place and so on.

Log and report threats.

http://www.safeathome.org.au/your-rights/how-can-the-law-protect-me/

http://www.hiddenhurt.co.uk/domestic_violence_threats.html

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/d_to_g/domestic_abuse_guidelines_for_prosecutors/

6. EdiSco

EdiSco Likes his anonymity

That's true. It's illegal to threaten someone. And if he's made threats against elderly etc. police will take it very seriously.

7. Tman

Tman Valued Member

I've had about 7 years of training in total. Kung Fu and Tae Kwon Do mainly.

8. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Report it to the authorities. There are organizations here springing up to protect specifically against elderly abuse. Hopefully, that is true wherever you live too.

Aside from what others point out, if this guy is the jerk you say he is, you need to think through the aftereffects of a "ring" fight.

You win, the guy's ego is smashed. Sounds like just the type of scenario where he will take out his frustrations on those he is already threatening (the elderly loved ones mentioned) even more. Or possibly attack you with a weapon or sneak up on you in a non-ring environment.

Simon's post is excellent here. I highly recommend a change in thinking and following what he says.

I understand you are angry and frustrated, but you need to channel that into a way that will help those you love - not make the situation worse.

9. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Take Simon's advice.

10. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Everytime I hear someone say: "I want to challenge him!", I immediately think: "Get older than 12" :eek:

11. aaradia

And what if you lose? Sorry, but are you so sure you would win?

Then he has established physical dominance over you, which would also make the situation worse.

A fight is only going to make matters worse, win or lose.

Plus. could you find a ring that would condone such an action?

Not only would my school not allow such things in their school, a student would probably get kicked out of the school for using their martial arts in such a manner. At the very least a strong discussion/ warning from our Sifu- but probably kicked out of the school.

12. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

Yeah, fighting this guy (in or out of the ring) is unlikely to help, and would likely make things worse. (Others have covered this pretty well, so I won't belabor it.)

I would go to the authorities and at least start documenting that this is going on. If its as volatile a situation as you seem to think it is (i.e., your relative might actually attack your family), this will help set the stage for a self defense claim if anyone in your family needs to defend themselves from this person. (I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice, but having documented history of this would likely make a self-defense scenario quicker/easier to resolve from a legal standpoint.)

I would make sure any children who have been threatened/who you are concerned about are aware that they shouldn't trust this relative. (I.e., make it clear that if he tries to pick them up after school to give them a ride, or anything like that, that they shouldn't.)
    I would also talk to any of the elders he has threatened and make sure they are aware of it and that they should contact the authorities if he shows up and is being aggressive. Make sure they are easily able to contact the authorities in situations where this person might try to confront them/attack them. (E.g., make sure they have a cell phone on them when not near a regular phone.)

I agree with others that setting up alarms/cctv/monitoring would be good as well. I personally wouldn't tell the aggressive relative about this setup--while it might deter him, it might also cause him to plan an attack that works around the things you set up.

13. Theidiot

Theidiot New Member

Do people really still challenge people to fights? I thought that kind of thing was limited to school playgrounds.

Sport being the exception for course but that's different.

If someone challenged me to a fight, I'd decline even if I knew I could kick their behind while my arms were tied behind my back. Then if I was a bad man (which I'm not, I hope ) I'd take great satisfaction from knowing that I'd wound someone please enough that they wanted to fight me.

With respect, it sounds to me more like you want to test your martial skills. You can't have much faith in yourself if after 7 years of training our feel you need to test yourself against someone you think darent even accept he challenge.

If this person is making threats, let the police deal with it if he's serious. Then you can take satisfaction from knowing hat you were the bigger person, refusing to sink to his petty primitive level.

14. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I'm taking bets on OP being under 17. any takers? I think he's 15.

15. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

Problem: You WANT to be violent against him, even though it is illegal, and are looking for an excuse to do so legally. You have stated as much in your opening post. Why? What will that accomplish? Is he going to stop being a jerk if you beat him up? If he beats YOU up, then... Well, no comment. Talk to the police, press charges, move on.

16. aaradia

That really offers nothing constructive Chadderz.

No need to get personal -with nothing positive to offer as well.

What if he is under 17? Do teens not get to post here? Regardless of age, OP is frustrated and concerned over threats to loved ones. He turned to MAP for advice.

Hopefully, we have dissuaded him from a poor choice and steered him towards a more effective path to resolve his situation. I would hope MAP is a place where people feel free to ask questions - even unwise ones - so that they can have a discussion and learn. Maybe MAP steered this person -whatever age - to take action with the police and stop an abusive situation. Many members here have given constructive advice. This is what MAP is supposed to be about.

Not only that, but future people might do google searches and see the excellent advice offered here by the likes of Simon and it can help steer them in a positive way if they are in a similar situation.

Actually, the original post would make more sense if coming from a younger person. What person on here hasn't had an unwise thought as a teenager? One is less likely to consider the repercussions of ones actions as a teen.

Maybe you could offer something more constructive instead of just putting the person down?

17. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

It's a conspiracy man. The mods occasionally create new accounts and ask stupid questions so we have something to respond to when things get slow.

Also Hillary is funding the clown appearances...

Jet fuel doesn't melt steel beams...

Carrot juice is murder...

18. TwirlinMerlin

TwirlinMerlin Valued Member

So true. Plus Trump is planning on nuking Wisconsin which will turn it into a radioactive wasteland of melted cheese. Once he's cut off our cheese supply he'll declare martial law and impose a mandatory groping ordinance.

19. Janno

Janno Valued Member

Come on you bunch of killjoys - dishing out a decisive beating to someone for no other reason than self-indulgence happens every day. In fact, i'd even propose that it's the number one reason for most of the beatings that occur, and indeed the number one reason that many people get into martial arts in the first place! Stop being so judgemental and help this guy engineer some non-righteous street justice!

LAW OF THE JUNGLE! WOO!

20. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

But righteous is so much more satisfying, and please forget the ring. Sprinkle some glass in the back garden, call an ambulance and go.