Catch 22

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Xue Sheng, Oct 24, 2022.

1. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

They implemented a new security system, and never told me...so now I am locked out of virtually everything.

I am pretty sure this is a catch 22

I cannot access my remote desktop because I did not register for the new system. So they put me on bypass to access my remote desktop....but I cannot register for the new system if I am on bypass....

axelb and Mitch like this.
  2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Someone in IT has not quite thought that through :D

Xue Sheng likes this.
  3. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Sounds like a new PAM solution? The current trend in corporate IT.

I work in cyber security so I see these sorts of issues all the time :D

Security Vs convenience, the never ending cycle of progress.

4. Xue Sheng

Well. I got it fixed, but I had to be in the office,

Sometimes, when dealing with that side of the department, I often am entirely convinced.... they just didn't think things through.

Which brings me to the main IT office, when they first took over everything and absorbed my job and me...they had email, my email did not work. Look through their documentation and it did literally state, all problems with email must be emailed to the help desk, they would not take calls about email. I actually had to call them and explain to them why that would not work .... at all....

5. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Hahah you can't make this stuff up!

I had the same with our company email service provider. When email was down we called and asked they call us for further information.
    I called back several hours later for status and they had emailed us for more information before they could proceed.

It took much effort to explain how this was a bad idea without adding a bucket of sarcasm. Especially for a company that hosts the email solution.

Xue Sheng likes this.
  6. Xue Sheng

My Cellphone carrier just did something equally ridiculous. One of the phones on my plan all of a sudden was no longer on any network. Could not call out or in and no longer get texts......

Cellphone Carrier (CC): You will need to do some troubleshooting
    Me: OK, how do I do that
    CC: We will send a text to the phone to give you instructions
    Me: Send a text..... to the phone I'm calling about
    CC: Yes then you can follow the instructions to troubleshoot the phone
    Me: You're going to send the text to the phone that will not send or receive calls or texts
    CC: Yes
    Me: Do you see any problem with sending a text to that phone
    CC: No....
    Me: sending a text....to a phone..... that will not receive texts
    CC: Yes.........oh wait...... I think you'll need to contact support directly
    Me: OK, thank you......