Carlos Newton article.

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Trent Tiemeyer, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

2. Scotty Dog

Scotty Dog www.myspace.com/elhig

that blows my mind, that they can still hold the old "human cockfight" image in their heads after all this time. Some times I wonder if the OLD UFC's did more harm than good.

Still much as I'm not a fan of Newton he gave the right impression of the sport here :)

hig

3. Trent Tiemeyer

I wish it had mentioned that he is going to med school.

4. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Is there a difference between the UFC, Pride, and the other organizations? Or is it just a different org in the same sport...

5. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

I personally prefer to watch Pride; it's alot less americanised and not as glossy and fancy as UFC. Plus the fact that the are less rules aswell.

6. Trent Tiemeyer

Not really less rules, just different rules. Pride allows kicking a downed opponent, and UFC allows elbows, but not vice versa.

7. Cyph

Cyph Banned Banned

thought that was a bad article if it was aimed at beginners, needed more detail.

8. toothpaste100

toothpaste100 Banned In 60 Seconds

The actual televised CTV report mentioned that.

9. Trent Tiemeyer

10. Goju

Goju Yellow Belt

Carlos Newton lives in the same town as I do. He trains MMA, TKD, Judo, and BJJ at a dojo near mine... His instructor, Terry Riggs teaches grade 9 self defense courses at the local high schools. I've never heard that it was banned in parts of Canada because my friends and I watch it all the time. A brown belt at my dojo and my school is working his way into the UFC. He fights mma somewhere close, I'm trying to find out where. Anyway, When I was in grade 9 terry was teaching my gym class, and he said that carlos newton was stabbed in a street fight in toronto. He KOed FOUR of SEVEN guys, and then was stabbed by one of the remaining, after his "friends" ran off . lol

I didnt like this, it's biased

"Ultimate fighting is a brutal sport, populated by martial arts experts, where almost nothing is outside the rules."

Compared to what it started as, as well as okinawan traditional tournaments, the UFC's brutal image is so watered down. I like downloading the old UFCs because the matches are so much more intense.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2004
  11. toothpaste100

I did that very self defence course this year, it was pretty fun and Carlos Newton taught for the first day of 5. Seemed like a pretty nice guy.

12. Goju

Goju Yellow Belt

Ur lucky,,, Carlos couldnt teach our week, we trained with Terry and Wiley from Warrior MAC

13. toothpaste100

Terry is still a pretty good instructor, I was at Carlos's school last Wednesday and Tuesday (check my journal).