Capoeirista massive KO by kick... impressive

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by slipthejab, Jan 15, 2013.

1. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

Yep, slip that is a traditional capoeira and one of the first--if not the first--kicks that you learn. It's typically called meia lua de compasso in regional and contemporanea and rabo da arraia in angola (at least in the Pastinha lineage). Nicely done on the part of the fighter.

2. dormindo

It seems that it may have a niche (speaking as someone not that up to date on the MMA scene), as there are a few schools (Grupo Axe being a well known one) that are training people for MMA. It'd be interesting to see what aspects of it may be useful in the near future.

I'm more interested in seeing how much influence ginga will have--if any. I know to many, that ginga is the standard side to side triangle/box step but, being from an angola background myself, I'm acustomed to seeing all kinds of crazy, slippery, elusive gingas. About that, though, none of the capoeiristas in MMA thus far appear to be from an angola background. All interesting stuff.

3. dormindo

From what I recall (and--bad historian, bad!--I don't have sources to hand at the moment), Bimba's students fought in such matches and won some and lost some. There was some talk of his students having lost matches to the students of another capoeirista--Sinozinho. Take all of this with a grain of salt, though, as I don't have the info to hand.

4. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I've wondered that myself. Seems like it wouldn't be such a leap to sprawl from the ginga. You're already doing some of that positioning. I don't know. Is the weight mostly on your back foot at any point in the ginga? I've seen people ginga who looked like they were leaning backward a bit. Making an immediate sprawl kinda tough.

5. dormindo

Well, depends on the person, but there are a lot of people (in angola, at least) that put weight on the back leg after stepping back--though it's only for the briefest of moments. I've done it myself, though it's usually when there is a little distance between me and the other person. In close, I'm not so likely to do that as I'm 'closing' my ginga more. I've seen people who lean back to slip a kick or some other attack and those who lean because that's just how they do their ginga, but the weight really should be constantly shifting--laterally as well as forward and back.

Ginga itself would make the subject of quite a thread. I just don't know if there are enough capoeiristas and others interested in the subject to warrant it. I may try anyway.

6. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I'd follow it, for whatever that's worth.

7. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

+1

Doubt it would generate much discussion but it would be an interesting read!!

8. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

colour me interested

9. dormindo

In that case, I think I'll start it tonight. Back on topic--anyone know who the fighter is or his training history?

10. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Cairo Rocha is the name in the description. He's from Zanet(t)i Fight Team (Sherdog says), but I can't find info about his capoeira.

11. dormindo