[Capoeira] Capoeira the best martial art

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Capoeira, Jun 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

Anyone want to give me a phonetic transliteration of the word "capoeira"? I think it's pronounced "Ka-pwaira" but not confident of that...

Rgds,
    David

2. Tryptamon

Tryptamon New Member

Here's a small pronounciation guide for some capoeira terms... at least as I pronounce them, not being a native brazilian or speaker of portuguese, but a capoeirista nonetheless. This is also how my teacher, Mastre Beto pronounced these words.

Capoeira - Cop-Oh-Eh-ra (the r in ra is pronounced like a combonation between L and R)
    Ginga - Jin-ga
    Au - Ah-ooh
    Negativa - Nay-ga-Chi-vah
    Barimbau - Bah-rheem-bah-oo (again, the r in rheem is pronounced like a combo between L and R)
    Malicia - Mahl-ee-si-ah
    Roda - Ho-dah
    Role - Ho-lay
    Queixada - Kay-shah-dah

3. Kof_Andy

Kof_Andy New Member

Capoeria can be use effectively I think, but it all depend on the user. However as a fighting system, I think there are more simple and practical ways to fight. Is just too much motion and enegery being wasted for every single movement. You'll be dead tired before you can land one blow on someone with any decent amount of martial experience.

4. Tryptamon

Tryptamon New Member

Okay, Capoeira Isn't specifically a "fighting" style (at least capoeira angola isn't)... it's something you can use to fight if you need to, but its intended purpose is more of a game.

Capoeira isn't just the kicking and dodging and flipping that you do in the jogo. Capoeira is the barimbau the atabaque and the baqueta. Capoeira is also the chants that are sung. and I must stress this again capoeira is not merely a fighting style.

The thing about capoeira is that it is a game, but it you should also be able to beat some ass at a moments notice. Often times (and this tradition has stopped, 'cuz we dont usually have to worry about it) one would attach metal blades the the barimbau so that if the police or anyone else would try and break up a jogo (during the period that capoeira was banned in brazil and the states) it could be used as a scythe. That in and of itself is an extremely decent metaphore for capoeira itself.

5. bad eddy

bad eddy New Member

I see you know very little about capoeira. Knives attached to the berimbau? where did you get this from lol. Capoeira is a VERY EFFECTIVE combat art but because we have sooooo many experts that really know nothing about it we have all of these myths and garbage beliefs. As for the wasted motion most of the REAL practitioners of capoeira are extremly fit and in shape because of those movements and can go toe to toe with the best of them. I wish everyone would stop bashing capoeira just because it's different etc. As I posted earlier any art can be deadly when used properly. Also in the U.S we have people that are out there practicing capoeira as just a game and thats whats giving you the impersonation that it's more than a fighting style it's really a dancing game. At its core capoeira is a combat art. I mean didn't anyone even bother to read my earlier posts and go to the links if not please go back a couple of pages and read them. I have been fortunate enough to train with mestre Barro and now the overall head of our school is mestre jelon, who was one of the pioneers that brought capoeira stateside. Both are very well versed in the combat aspects of capoeira. :woo:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2003
  6. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

yeha guys look at juko kai
    har har.

7. Tryptamon

Tryptamon New Member

I got the "Barimbaus as a weapon" from Nestor Capoiera. I also got my ideas of Capoiera as a game from playing Capoiera. So what's the problem?

8. marinheiro

marinheiro New Member

Hi folks, every art has its advantages and downsides. you take your weaknesses and use them as your strengths. Capoeira's advantage is that it is very easy to underestimate its power and usefulness. At least this appeared to be the case during the brazilian colonial days. However, there is MUCH MORE to capoeira than the music........

9. marinheiro

marinheiro New Member

...indeed capoeira is more than a game, a fight, a sport, or a dance. Neither is capoeira an artform. Yet it is all of these, and more...i'm not trying to be philosophical, but true. Yes, there did seem to be an indication from history that sharp objects(maybe knives) were attached to berimbaus in the past. But all these point to the bloody origins of capoeira. Nowadays we all tend to get carried away with the sport value of capoeira as seen from academies and so on. In this way we do develop excellent technical skill, just like "bad eddy"'s REAL practitioners of capoeira, but we lose the VALUE of capoeira and "malicia", which is vital to capoeira. Also the individuality and creativity of the jogar can be lost when we try to turn capoeira into something like karate or kung-fu. It is none of these. Plus capoeira is not necessarily a good thing..or bad.The real question is "Who Are You, camara?"...

10. marinheiro

marinheiro New Member

..also, if ever there was a more clever and creative way to TAKE CARE of an opponent, then it is capoeira de angola...once again becos of its seeming slow speed it can be easily underestimated...that is till the sudden rasteira pos in from underneath you, or your opponent plants a blade in your abdomen, while he pretends to do a cabecada...let's not forget where capoeira came from, folks!!

11. Tryptamon

Tryptamon New Member

Marinhero: I completely agree with everything you say. I dont know if when you said "However, there is MUCH MORE to capoeira than the music" you were directing it at me, however, when I explained the music as a key point to capoeira, because a lot of people overlook that aspect, just giving an example as to how capoeira is more than fighting and self defense. because capoeira encompasses a whole subculture of afro-brazillian culture, not just this specific martial art.

Bad Eddy: I'd just like to stress again the ignorance of what you said. Your first sentence was meant to offend and to belittle me, merely because you didn't know the facts, and you assume that everything you dont know isnt true. This is not the case. there's a whole universe of knowledge that your tiny mind (and I say that meaning everyone's tiny mind) doesnt know about. It's just ignorance... pure ignorance to dismiss someone so easily.

12. Goju

Goju Yellow Belt

THis might sound a little Ignorant and it probably is, but the thing is, this thread is really long and it was created by a complete idiot saying that THERE IS ACTUALLY A SUPREME MARTIAL ART AND IT IS CAPOEIRA. Thats not true, actually thats stupid. ANd if there was a supreme martial art it aint capoeira, alright. To me, capoeira IS a game. Even in angola styles it has so many moves that dont apply to real fighting situations. Thats why I respect JKd people (I do KArate) because they do a martial art that is unbelievably practical. My favourite art is Goju-Ryu Karate but even in that there are unpractical movements and techniques.

What I think is that capoeira doesn't really apply very well in the streets. Doing those flips n crap like that will just **** someone off and frustrate them, then they'll come in on you n try to kill you because your making an ass of them.

thats just the way I see it.

And I did see the capoeira girl in Black Belt magazine and she was freakin hot. To me, she is the best part of capoeira.

13. DeeTee

DeeTee Valued Member

Hi d_rza

I don't know the first thing about Capoeira but I have found over the the years that there's usually more to these things than meet the eye. You say that you admire the JKD people because the stuff they do is unbelievably practical but I remember reading some time ago that Dan Inosanto was studying it as well. whether he still is or not I don't know.
    The quote at the bottom of your post say "Be more than a martial artist, be an artist of life" and that's a great quote. Maybe for some people Capoeira is a means for them to be that.

14. marinheiro

marinheiro New Member

Nice one, DeeTee. The truth d_rza, is that you are right in many ways. First of all this thread is long and was started by someone. Also, many of the seeming impractical moves are ACTUALLY meant to fustrate and annoy your enemy to attack blindly in anger. Is this not the purpose of most fighting tactics? One thing people need to remember is that capoeira is NOT an eastern "martial art", like Karate, or TKD. and its origins are not similar in ANY way. Because of this, its fighting ideology is different, unlike most of the eastern martial arts that were used by warrior clans and the like, capoeira was used by slaves to outwit their oppressors and thereafter their enemies. So you see there is NO reason whatsoever for comparison between capoeira and other "martial arts". Capoeira is what it is. And once again capoeira was created for "ambush" combat and has been used successfully in the slums and ghettoes and big city streets of brazilian cities for street fights and self defence.As what it is..capoeira! And there have been very bloody casualties.

Most of the capoeira exported to the western world has been stripped of this bloody undertone, in order to sell the idea to others. Capoeiristas in the true sense have always in the past been seen as criminals and street fighting gangsters, and capoeira itself regarded as "the forbidden dance". If capoeira was not deadly, then why was it banned for nearly 100 years. It only became legal to play capoeira again in 1932.

Dont be confused by the exhibitions of Afro-Brazilian culture that you see in music videos and such, and call this stuff capoeira. The real stuff is found in the streets of Rio de Janeiro, and Sao Paulo., (and it can be bloody..at least it used to be); as well as the state of Bahia, which is the home of modern capoeira.

15. POISONHANDS

POISONHANDS New Member

POISONHANDS VIEW,CAPOEIRA

Im amazed at how people just can't respect the fact that african martial arts is very effected in any type of combat'just as other arts are very good in there on way.and people who are always judge mental about african martial arts do not ever have a clue about it.It's a proven fact that capoeira is combat effect,if you feel the need to criticize about what people dont know instead of trying to help and teach [young grasshopper/capoeira],please take the time to check african history on combat and it's warrior nations so your more positive in your statements,and more aknowledgable.It's quite apparent[young grasshopper]still has alot more soul searching for the art that [young grasshopper/capoeira]loves.Im new to this site,I've been here afew days and I think that everyone has something to offer,whether we agree or not,also[young grasshopper/capoeira] every question is a good question,your just needing to research more,...'Well alot more.I hope I've giving alittle insight,OOOOOOhhhh yea, asain arts are very effected,but Im originally from L.A. California and I've seen alot of other martials arts in the hood,and Im sure the beat-downs that the martial artist's toke were very effected from people who were untrained,no ones unbeatable,remember this doesn't apply to everyone.and 9-10tenth's of learning is observing,let's help one another to become the best that we can and thats to be a great martial artist......And thank you for giving me a place to mentally joust. ",GRASSHOPPER REMEMBER,IT'S NOT THE SIZE OF THE DOG IN THE FIGHT,BUT THE FIGHT IN THE DOG THAT DETERMINES WHO WINS.' ....From Shaolin&close door systems A.K.A.POISONHANDS

16. Goju

Goju Yellow Belt

Just how many martial artists are walkin through "THA HOOD" at any given time? Is it just like in the movies??:D

Last edited: Sep 26, 2003
  17. marinheiro

marinheiro New Member

You shouldnt take a **** at people, d_rza, just cos they dont practice your fighting form. Accept that somethings are different from yours and your thinking ideology can be different from others. It doesnt make them better or worse than you...just makes them different.

Whoever started this thread should re-examine their interest in capoeira, though. They may be better practicing breakdancing, which can be a good form of leisure exercise.

18. laplander

laplander New Member

Whats with all the ego's on this thread? Where's the respect? Capoeira isn't about winning and losing: its about playing, teaching and constantly learning. The humbleness you feel while playing, whether playing experienced or inexperienced people, can be taken into all other aspects of your life.
    It is truely uplifting.

I sound like my mum! but its all true.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2003
  19. Tryptamon

Tryptamon New Member

Laplander, I agree with you.

Capoeira is about playing and learning etc. That's why you learn capoeira. You dont learn it to beat ass. However, a capoeirista will be able to turn his game into a deadly martial art if it's required of him.

Also, , D_rza, I'm a martial artist who walks through the hood every day. what of it?

20. Goju

Goju Yellow Belt

WHat I meant was he said he saw lots of martial artists of different ma walkin through the hood and getting beaten... I was just wondering how he knew this and in real life this doesnt usually happen (maists walking through rough neighborhoods using ma to defend themselves against multiple attackers).

Also most traditional ma practise awareness and unless you live there or are taking it as a short cut you shouldn't be walkin through rough neighborhoods alone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.