[Capoeira] A good Capoeira Practice

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Tryptamon, Sep 29, 2003.

1. Tryptamon

Tryptamon New Member

I'm trying to develope a good Capoeira practice session... what should I include?

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

A capoeira instructor?

But seriously - there are some pretty cool websites out there with animations of moves etc. If you don't have them I can dig out a link.

3. laplander

laplander New Member

Also check out 'the Little book of Capoeira' by Nestor Capoeira.
    It details moves and practice sessions as well as being a great introduction to the culture, history and music of Capoeira.

Seriously though nothing replaces practicing and learning from others..............:)

4. gutshot

gutshot New Member

try doing quick cartwheels back and forth and then do the same thing as slow as possible, shoulde build some upper body strength

5. Tryptamon

Tryptamon New Member

I have a capoeira instructor, I'm saying a good routine between classes. We only meet twice a week.

I'm not asking to know how to do the moves, I just find the current routine I do to be lacking. I'd like to know what you guys think a good session entails.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2003
  6. dredleviathan

dredleviathan New Member

There was a good link in the Health & Fitness forum to a gymnastic work. It looked as if it woudl really help you develop great upper body strength, balance and body control. Sorry can't find it for the moment.

Alternatively a couple of my firends do Capoeira and they're instrucrtor gave them a demon workout for in-between class. Lots of cartiwheels, handstand push-ups etc etc... have you spoken to your instructor?

7. Tryptamon

Tryptamon New Member

No I haven't...
    Unfortunetly I'm pretty new to capoeira and can't really do handstands or headstands yet. I've been working towards it though.

8. dredleviathan

dredleviathan New Member

Well I would have thought that a general bodyweight workout would stand you in pretty goo dstead whilst developing the foundation for your capoeira practice.

Check the free workouts on Scrapper's website

After that I would suggest talking to your Maestre and asking him for some specific practice for capoeira. Like I say I would have thought most gymnastic workouts would be pretty suitable but you might as well go to your instructor as he will know the best way for you to pregress (hopefully).

Let us know how it goes.

Dred

9. Tryptamon

Tryptamon New Member

Who's scrapper and what the URL of his/her website?

10. Tryptamon

Tryptamon New Member

Oh btw, Laplander, the practice sessions in the little book of capoeira arent very good if you dont know the specific move. Before I had a mastre I was reading that book and I had no ****ing clue what he was talking about. The diagrams only make sense if you know the moves.

However the first part, this history of Capoeira is really nice.

11. laplander

laplander New Member

agreed!! Well lucky we have the advice of more learned ones!

12. Tryptamon

Tryptamon New Member

Lately I've been doing negativa pushups because I'm really uncomfortable in a negativa position... I can only hold it for 10 seconds or so without straining.