Can you answer this please? THANK YOU!! =)

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Macca, Oct 21, 2007.

1. Macca

Macca Valued Member

hi all

i have a question regarding self-defence in a way of grappling. i am use to fighting in a taekwondo way, keeping your distance and kicking with your kicks. however, grappling arts such as ninjutsu, or juijutsu rely on grappling, but it hits me...how can you remember all the moves that you have learnt? does it come naturally as the attacker attacks? if you learn so many combo's does it stay in your head? lol do you get what i mean? lol thank you

2. NZ Ninja

NZ Ninja Live wire.

Well I,ll try to answer the best I can,

I was taught a technigue, then I had to learn to apply it as many ways as I could, this way you have 3-4 techniques that will work in most stituations, alot of what you learn are like road maps that get you to where you want to be quickly, but you may have to make a few detours depending on the traffic and state of the road. :D

Hope that helps.

3. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

For me, the easiest way to remember "everything" was to try to understand the principles behind the moves. The majority of throws and takedowns, for instance, require the thrower to have a lower center of gravity than the one being thrown. Or, all elbow hyperextentions (wakigatame, arm bar from guard, over-the-shoulder armbar, etc) require pressure on the wrist close to the hand, and on tricep tendon close to the elbow. Once you understand the principles of leverage, grappling's pretty easy.

Other ways to learn grappling are by studying how to chain moves together. Some moves naturally have an expected follow-up. In Judo, for example, Uchi-Mata is a move designed to throw the opponent forward; if he counters by dropping his weight, it can be turned into an Ouchi-Gari, a leg sweep to send him backward. With submissions, a move designed to fold an opponent's arm might be resisted by him trying to open it up, so you transition into a move designed to stretch the arm, which uses his own force against him. Training moves like this is a good way to learn how to instictively switch from one move to another.

4. bulkathos72

bulkathos72 Valued Member

hm for me it just kinda of is instinct. after so long of practicing little thought hampens and I just react. lol I just gotta be careful not to hurt them.

5. shadow_ronin

shadow_ronin Banned Banned

The easiest way to remember everything is simply to forget everything you have learned.

6. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

If you're trying to remember moves while fighting or sparring then you don't "know" the moves. When you truly know them, they will come naturally without thought, because you have drilled them and sparred with them to the point they are a part of you.

When taking this way of assessing my knowledge, I realize how little I actually know, and how much I need to work on.

7. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

Stop trying to sound deep, and start some real training.

8. JaxMMA

JaxMMA Feeling lucky, punk?

I think the best way to get to know when to use those moves is to spar alot. As much as possible, because you'll go through different situations and the body will automatically try to do certain moves without you having to think what's next.

9. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

The Shadow-Waffle Slap Down!!!

10. Lucan

Lucan Valued Member

It's not just learning 1 technique in a row of techniques like with TMA's. You learn moves over and over until they become second nature. Then you apply and develop when you learnt through sparring with uncompliant opponents.

11. RentoKill

RentoKill Valued Member

The more you train and the less you post the more you will understand.

sweat, sweat and more sweat...

12. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Its called sparing.

13. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Edited

14. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

OK this is something that preoccupied me for years to the point where I really started to break it down.
    For me it boils down to knowing the main "landmark" dominance positions (mount, side control etc) and how they interact with each other.
    What you end up with then is a mental flow chart that keeps you informed as to what to do in each position. So when you're rolling you have a constantly updating list of objectives dependent on where you are. As stated before that list of objectives basically becomes second nature after a while but it helps to think it through from the start.
    So when you get mount you're automatically trying to consolidate your position and control the other guy (as that's your main aim when mounting someone). From there the flow chart moves you onto some sort of finish.

What usually happens (when people understand the flow of positions and which are good and which are bad) is that people link favourite moves into those landmark positions and also escapes from the not so favourable ones. They then become the things that your internal checklist throws up when you get in those positions.

So I might start moving through my flow chart when I'm under side control...hip escape...shrimp to guard...consolidate guard...look for sweep opening or submission...that sort of thing.

After that the details sort of look after themselves. Although it's also the details that seperate the people that can REALLY roll and the people that can't (like me :) )

15. soyez efficaces

soyez efficaces Valued Member

Mate, don't worry..when it hits the fan, your will to live will get you through :D

you be amazed at what comes out when faced with danger. As for grappling, fact you only doing TKD doesn't help. Be all round mate, don't limit yourself.

paul

16. Fatal Rose

Fatal Rose Valued Member

I think BJJ grappling and sparring would suit you the best if you are worried about remembering when and where to do a technique.