Can any of you say to Bruce Lee face that what Ted Wong does is not Jeet Kune Do?

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by pmosiun, Aug 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pmosiun

pmosiun Valued Member

Can any of you say to Bruce Lee face that what Ted Wong does is not Jeet Kune Do?

And another thing, the Tao of Jeet Kune Do was not suppose to be publish as a book.

2. -Harlequin-

-Harlequin- Valued Member

Just for your benefit Ive repeated myself, and included a link to the thread you acctually posted on in the first place.

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95380&page=4

Might I suggest you dont double post.

If you take the time, to read the thread linked, you will discover weve discussed this in quite some detail

Well weather we would say it to bruce is irrelevant, he's dead and buried, which is why we have the problem we have with JKD, if bruce was still alive, then JKD I imagine will have taken a different path and no-one would need to say anything to bruce lee.

Life is ironic like that.

If I did say such a thing to bruce, and it angered him enough to wish to fight with me, I would be genuinly honoured to be beaten by bruce lee, and would have taken such a beating with a smile on my face.

3. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I'd need a spade

4. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I will. It's not like he can do anything about it.

5. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

What is it with people and making threads about Bruce Lee like he's alive?

Could Bruce Lee beat up Mike Tyson?
    Would you tell Bruce you slept with his mother?
    Could Bruce drop kick a monkey into outer space?

Who cares?

6. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I am your father Bruce

7. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I love questions like that, especially when you consider how bad some of the boxers they compare Bruce to.

I think this was one of the best pieces written on how well Bruce would do in boxing: http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=12995

Short version: He had raw talent, but pro boxing is an entirely different endeavor.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  8. Master Betty

Master Betty Banned Banned

I tihnk for anyone who has any knowledge of boxing and has ever seen bruces "bagwork" knows fine well that his boxing was not anywhere near professional level. I'm of the same opinion as you - cant stand the "bruce vs X" threads.

9. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Yawn, moved on from the JKD thread and can't believe you are still arguing.

10. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Bruce Lee did NOT offer anything new to guys who were already crosstraining at the time.

He was simply in the right place at the right time..San Fransisco 70s

Had he not been a film star I doubt very much his martial arts would have made him the "icon" he has become.

He would have had to get in the ring with Benny the Jet , Bill Wallace etc.

Who knows what would have happened.

11. Matias

Matias Smoky Fist

pmosiun is having letting go problems :bang:

12. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

:love:

Er... wait... did I just type that outloud? Um... yeah, Bruce Lee was the kind of guy that if you found him in bed with your wife, you would ask him how he wanted his eggs after he was finished.

13. pakarilusi

pakarilusi Valued Member

Yes I would is the easy answer.

14. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Bruce Lee was far far ahead in Martial Art training methods,nutrition,physcology,conditioning etc than any other Martial Artist in the USA of his era inho,Im still amazed now by some of the methods he used.:)

15. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Like what?

16. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

So many ways it would take me a while to put them down I would think and I havent got the time or inclination!.

As a example though,How many people train their concentration levels to this sort of extent..Lee had 2 cassete players(remember the time era) one had a airplane taking off taped on it,the other had a dripping tap taped on it,Lee would train until he could have the volume level high on the Airplane tape and low on the tap tape and still hear the tap dripping.

True story or not? I wasnt there so didnt see first hand so dont truly know, however I belive what I was told,even if not true have you heard of anyone else doing this type of training especially in the 1960/70s? have you thought of it and tried it have I? get my point?.

Another one on concentration,Lee could and regularly would(again Ive been led to belive) watch tv,read a book,and hold down a conversation all at the same time and be able know what was said,what he read and what he heard if asked,good training method for concentration,memory? I think so:)

17. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Been there, done that.

Maybe not with the two tape machines, but certainly I have trained both the physical and mental aspects to a similar degree.

I don't see it as that difficut and I don't see why training should stop once you are outside of the dojo. In that respect I train constantly, just as you suggest above.

18. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Bruce Lee was good, but he wasn't the best. Take his kicking, for example - to the average spectator, he looked great. But compared to some of his contemporaries, like Bill Wallace and Skipper Mullins, he couldn't kick for toffee.

19. Master Betty

Em most of the methods he used were already widely used by arts like boxing, muay thai etc.

most of the "concepts" he apparently came up with were already there. Vale tudo was there before bruce. So was pancrase.

Actually, if we're being completely honest, bruce lee did nothing that wasn't done before him and if he hadnt been in a couple of (admittedly awesome) movies back in the 60s/70s then i doubt anyone would know who he was. The bottom line was that they were looking for a martial arts movie star back then and bruce lee was the perfect fit.

20. Master Betty

This has about as much to do with knowing how to fight as knitting does to fencing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.