C. K. Chu, R.I.P.

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by El Medico, Oct 26, 2013.

1. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Recently found out about his passing earlier this month.

Chu was a Yang practitioner in New York City who for decades emphasized the function of TC and produced fighters.Not tag tourney fighters,either.

Along with his buddy and sometimes teacher Wm. Chen these were the only guys on our east coast in the early-(meaning open to non-Chinese)- years of TC in the US who did so. For those of us who were involved in such endeavors he was an icon for the "TC as it should be taught/practiced" camp.

He was also the only TC teacher I knew of back then who trained his students in the use of a non antiquated weapon-the steel flute for baton use.This was years before P'oi Chan popularized the flute as weapon. Not bad flutes either,I played one from a student of his I met. Strong but relatively light,for sure not something you'd want to catch a strike from.

Never met the man but I'm very sorry he has passed. In a world where the popularization of jazzercise TC (as Montague once called it) has mushroomed he will be sorely missed.

2. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

R.I.P :(

Thoughts go with his family and friends..

3. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

4. embra

embra Valued Member

RIP.

The more of these type of folk pass on, the more difficult it will be for new people to develop Taiji in a manner something like its original (which can't be defined objectively anyway) manner and spirit.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

6. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Aye, was sorry to hear of his passing, condolences to family, friends & students.

7. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

RIP

Condolences to family and friends.