Buddhism and Thai Boxing

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by john888, Jan 16, 2005.

1. john888

john888 Valued Member

I am sure everyone is aware that Buddism is the main religion in Thailand and Thai Boxing. However there are different levels of Buddhism which I don't quite understand. Can someone write something on this?

2. Origami Itto

Origami Itto Walking Paths

3. Blooming Lotus

Blooming Lotus Banned Banned

there are tonnes of really good sites for information on buddhism. I don't have anything for Thailand but www.russbo.com has some great stuff, www.houston shaolin.com is a site from a monks school that has a fair bit of info and there 's a load of stuff at the USA shaolin temple headquarters site . Russbo is great place to start though and if you have a play with the pulldown menus you'll find a load of links related.

Cheers

Blooming Lotus

Btw : I know most folks have there dance and koto or whatever before entering the ring, but how many MTers actually practice buddhism? ........... and are prepared to admit it??

Last edited: Feb 7, 2005
  4. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

There are a couple of different types of Buddhism. I'm not sure if that's what you mean by "levels." Thailand is Theravadan Buddhist (aka Hinayana Buddhist). If you do some searching, you may want to start there.

Stuart

5. iNfInItE aRt

iNfInItE aRt New Member

Ive discovered a great new source of information!! Hardly anyone knows about it!! www.google.com .........amazing!!

6. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

this is just my opinion, and is something that I think is entirely a matter of personal preference. I dont do a wai kru or ram muay because they are buddhist rituals asking for health and paying respect to your kru (roughly, it varies) and I am not a buddhist. neither is my coach. for me, it would feel hollow to do a ritual that simply didnt mean anything to me- instead I use the good old western method of buying my coach a beer to show my respect :D

but like I said I think that its something thats entirely personal. John Wayne Parr often performs a ram muay, which I imagine he learnt from his kru. If my coach was buddhist then i would happily do one to show respect to him in a manner that is meaningful to him.

7. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Why even chime in if this is going to be the extent of your contribution? It's a discussion forum dude. People come here to discuss. It's not just about getting information.

Sheesh.

8. iNfInItE aRt

iNfInItE aRt New Member

Wowwypop?

9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

That pretty much answers any further questions I might have had. Cheers.

Stuart

10. iNfInItE aRt

iNfInItE aRt New Member

No, sorry mate, i was kidding.