Bruce Lee "barely" knew how to grapple?

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by Combat Sports, Nov 25, 2012.

1. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

I do not deny at all Kano's contribution to Judo the Olympics and so on. He was a great man, but he had to do that over the course of 77 years.

He did prove his skill I'm not here denying that, but he did lose a lot of matches. He was great for the Innovator he was and his dedication to adapting to what works.

I haven't rated Bruce Lee as a great martial artist since I was 13 or so. But I can't deny his influence on the world (rightly or wrongly) because he died young, because he was an Actor because he came out with all this "Mysticism" he did attract many Americans and a lot of the west to Martial Arts in general. His celebrity friends, his cult status after death.

Many a people started martial arts because of Bruce Lee and on their journey later on they discovered Kano.

2. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Do you use belts to signify grade ?

3. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Irony of ironies here. How many people started a martial art like Karate because of Bruce Lee's films and to end up in a codified system that used both belt grades and dan grades as a result of Kano. :p

4. CrowZer0

Off topic nonsense removed after warning

Slip

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2012
  5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

People's opinion of Bruce has no bearing in my opinion of Bruce. Why should it? He is an inspirational figure for me, but personally I owe far more to Guro Dan (who IS confirmed awesome).

Bruce is still an absolute idol of mine and that is all I need him to be; I don't need to know why mashed potatoes are better than chips to enjoy either.

And in any case Bruce Campbell > All

6. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Me.

I was quite disappointed when I started JKD that a grading system had been adopted.

7. CrowZer0

Yes I am aware of what Kano did for rankings, and Dan's and so on. In answer, I used to for TKD and my old Kung Fu school (although sash). I haven't attained more than a white in BJJ, and my Muay Thai class doesn't use any. :)

8. CrowZer0

Off topic nonsense removed after warning - yet again.
    I strongly suggest you either address what's been posted or don't post.

Slip

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2012
  9. bassai

Then Kano has probably had more direct influence on your training than Bruce.
    Look , the guy definitely inspired the majority of people (of a certain age) to get into martial arts , but , didn't contribute that much to martial arts in general.
    Loads of the "old school" teachers before him cross trained (including Kano) , he just publicised it better.

10. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I would just like to point out that MAP has recently made a slight change to the way some TMs operate and the access they have.

You'll see some of the TMs (like myself, Slip and AP) have their names in bold type.

These TMs have access to edit all areas of MAP. They don't have GM powers, it just allows us to clean up where necessary when there are no GMs or TMs for that forum online.

Please don't discuss this unless by PM. I would rather we continued with the subject in question.

11. CrowZer0

I doubt it, if it wasn't for Bruce Lee's influence over my uncle, and him studying both JKD and Wado Ryu, he would never have pushed me into MA. He's even influenced a great number of fighters today.

http://www.muscleandfitness.com/bruce-lees-influence-mixed-martial-arts

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...asons-hes-the-biggest-influence-in-mma/page/6

The guy was hugely influential. I would also argue that a lot more, many many more people have gone into Martial Arts because of Bruce Lee rather than Kano. I do not deny the influences of Kano on my training either.

I would say though is Bruce Lee had more of an impact to the MA world.

Also not sure about this, how much if any influence did Kano have on Bruce Lee?

12. bassai

Can you elaborate on this ?

13. CrowZer0

He created a lot of buzz for "kung fu" and mysticism to an entire generation. His ideology in regards to training, although not original in any sense, still introduced the idea to people who were new to it.

Afaik, he was one of the first to talk about strength training and shed light on it. He was about fitness and strength outside of MA, his 4 mile runs and so on. His experimentation was great willing to learn whatever he could get his hands on, Boxing, Fencing, Wrestling (arguable yes). He even talked about his Cha Cha Cha and how it influenced his footwork.

He spoke through his movies which attracted more people.

About his abilities, I'm not sure whether he ever claimed to be the best?

But if he did and some of the buzz around him being such a great fighter attracted people to the "cult of Bruce Lee" so they can train themselves.

I by no means am a Bruce Lee fanboy (anymore :p)

14. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I am!

15. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

So we can assume by this that you've never heard of Hojo undō (補助運動) or of Morio Higaonna or any of his predecessors. :rolleyes:

16. bassai

Inspire people to train ?yes
    Actually changed the MA world ? no

Again , the first to publicise it , strength training was incorporated to many systems itself

One of the biggest ironies of Bruce lees legacy , is that he that he first pushed the idea that there is no "ultimate" style and people should take what works and discard the rest , yet ultimately , this has been turned into a style !

17. CrowZer0

I did mention earlier "wrongly or rightly so" he influenced MA, even if he was the first to publicize it, I'm aware of training to incorporate martial abilities in regards to fitness and Strength before Bruce, but he was as you rightly say the first to publicise it. That was his influence.

I would argue he did change the MA world, JKD? His philosophy, and ideology although not original, hit more people across the western world than arguably any other. AFAIK (a bit iffy on the subject) he never wanted a JKD style? I have the tao of jkd hidden somewhere, didn't he want it as an ideology and a philosophy?

18. rowland templar

rowland templar New Member

Think he was beaten (by several decades) to that credit by farmer Burns, Hackenschmidt etc, and arguably by Draeger in the early sixties.

19. CrowZer0

Should have clarified to a mass audience, I agree with you. I'm talking about Bruce and his ability as an ambassador to reach such large audiences. Get people interested.

20. bassai

It seems our definitions of "influencing the ma world" differ.
    I totally agree that he inspired many to start training and publicised the idea of a rounded training regime , but , in terms of actually martial arts Kano is far more important.
    Read the introduction in tao of jkd , both Linda Lee and Gilbert Johnson point out That Bruce didn't intend it to be a "how to" book , just a record of his thoughts and journey.