British Veteran to be deported because of scuffle with comrade

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by holyheadjch, Jul 22, 2012.

1. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Isimeli Baleiwai served 13 years in the British Army, including tours in Bosnia, Northern Ireland, Iraq and Afghanistan - you know, pretty much everywhere the British Army has been in the last 13 years.

Last year, he was fined by his CO for getting into a scrap with another soldier. No witnesses were questioned, no investigation was undertaken, no jury was convened. Baleiwai accepted the fine and moved on.

The Border Agency has decided that fighting is not a trait to be tolerated in soldiers, and so has branded Baleiwai as being of poor character (I'd like to brand the UKBA peon who came to that conclusion with a hot iron). They've given him until the 9th of August to say goodbye to his British wife and his two British children and to bugger off back where he came from.

If you think this is a disgusting state of affairs, there is a petition here.

Apparently this is not an uncommon occurrence, but should we be surprised when politicians promise to clamp down on non EU immigration?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  2. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I think that's a ridiculous decision. I signed it and recommended it to others I know who will also most likely sign it.

3. wingchunapprent

wingchunapprent Banned Banned

he would of got fined on orders for this to happen you have to assume responsibility, and accept a CO's decision they usually do this not wanting to go to a court matial that could give him a custodial sentence.

4. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

I suggest sending the Border Agency to the next conflict we get involved in then.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  5. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Is there a link to the report/article you got this from? I find it hard to believe to be honest and would like to try and find out more details, but if it's true it's a pretty crummy situation. 13 years public service on tope of wife/kids who are citizens? Even if he did something horrible I don't see how there would be any grounds to deport somebody.

6. holyheadjch

7. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Huh. The impression I got was fighting was frowned upon but also accepted as a natural past time for soldiers. Sucky state of affairs and people far more deserving of deportation. Signy signed

8. Ero-Sennin

I don't see how a country could deny somebody citizenship when they served it for 13 years on top of having a wife and children who are citizens, on top of getting good review/recommendation by a superior officer. The transfer of military "crimes" into the civilian world is also completely ridiculous in this particular case. A brawl is not theft, rape, or anything that really matters all that much. Not to mention the mental state he claims to have been in. Hopefully it all gets settled the right way and he's able to stay.

9. holyheadjch

As far as I'm concerned, if it wasn't serious enough to get him a dishonourable discharge, it wasn't serious enough to get him deported.

10. Hatamoto

Hatamoto Beardy Man Kenobi Supporter

That's disgusting, such an extreme reaction :| Seems a massive overreaction for what he did :/

11. caveman

caveman Threadkiller

12. Ero-Sennin

13. caveman

caveman Threadkiller

I know, I could only read one page, as bad as the daily mail sometimes. I originally googled "Bale Baleiwai guardian". But the telegraph seams to be the only paper covering it.

14. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Torygraph readers living down to expectations I'm afraid. :(

Mitch

15. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

What a load of rubbish.Its things like this that make me despair of the UK.Its just political correctness gone mad.The guy was employed to fight.What do they expect him to do in his spare time? Flower arranging?

16. warriorofanart

warriorofanart Valued Member

This is deplorable! Instead of treating this man with honor and dignity for his service, and the conflict having been resolved with the fine, they opt instead to unjustly punish him for a regrettable situation of which there was no investigation done?

13 years of service in deadly wars and conflicts, and married to a British national of which they have British children? They should have given him the citizenship without him even having to apply.

I hope whoever is responsible for this is disciplined; for heaven's sake this man has no criminal record! Isn't that something to take into consideration without even counting his service or family?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  17. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

As an individual who has served in the US Military, I find this to be a ploy to make this individual an example.. Military personnel have brawls now and then and if this individual was not court martialed for his actions, He should just get non judicial punishment and face the situation.. This is not something that the polticians should not get involved with just to be politically correct..

18. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Happy Feet Cotton Tail Valued Member

Oh please, this has nothing to do with political correctness.

19. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

If he has a British wife and children then it's a violation of his right to a family life under the European Convention on Human Rights to deport him, so he won't be going anywhere.