british terms?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by southern jester, Jun 9, 2007.

1. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Yeah, here too. I was just saying that, since he mentioned chilling the beer, he must mean lager since you don't chill bitter or ale etc.

2. southern jester

southern jester New Member

hey dr moose,

what did you mean by chilling lager yet not bitter or ale? because i keep all beer cold as possible.

sorry i misunderstood what you meant earlier. thought maybe canadians used lager as kind of general term for all beer.

btw. hear lots of criticism about the canadians sending us celene dion. to be fair america sent the brits madonna. bet they just love us for that.

3. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

No. We. Don't.

4. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

we are sending america the Beckhams.... revenge is swwweeeet :D

5. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Lager should be served cold, but with proper beer it just kills the flavour. It should be served cool. :cool:

The only consolation for us is that if she ever buggers off back wence she came, hopefully she'll take her idiot husband with her. Then we'll be the ones smiling. ;)

6. Moosey

LOL :D I'm not Canadian, I'm English! The Moose thing is just a nickname I picked up :D

7. SimonW

SimonW Valuated Membeloid

Correction: Lager shouldn't be served at all, bitter and ale should be served at room temperature :D

8. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

The joke might be a bit lost on them though, because most Americans will probably think that the Beckhams are quite 'classy'. They probably think that 'Posh' actually IS posh. :D

9. southern jester

sorry dr moose thought you were canadian not english. guess you are less than pleased about having madonna there as well.

please dont send us the beckhams. or send madonna back. send either or both to aussies. they gave us the wiggles. and nobody deserves that.

10. Moosey

Who are the Wiggles?

11. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I was trying to find a pic for you Moose but I quickly realised I was losing the will to live!
    The Wiggles are an Australian kids type "group" :D

12. SimonW

SimonW Valuated Membeloid

13. southern jester

having neices and nephews i suffer from hearing the wiggles far too much. thanks australia. would you care for britney spears and/or paris hilton? be glad to return the favor.

14. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

:D
    Fruit salad
    Yummy, yummy
    Fruit salad
    Yummy, yummy

MAKE IT STOP!
    *begins to fashion hangmans noose from clothing*

15. southern jester

and to think i used to complain about barney and spongbob when my kids were younger.

16. southern jester

what exactly is a doorman? think its what americans call bouncers?

17. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

The term is used here but it has some social distinction like eccentric and crazy. If you are poor, you are crazy. If you are rich, you are eccentric.

If you work posh, upscale clubs you are a doorman. If you work Joe's Strip Club, you are a bouncer. ;)

18. southern jester

do the english (aka brits) use those aussie words like 'mate' or 'crikey'? used to watch steve irwin. among few tv shows i watched on regular basis. really was sad to hear about his accident.

on a lighter note saw an interview with phil collins. he said they dont have televanglists in england. the first time he saw them it seemes like a comedy skit or something. are there none of those tv preachers in england?

yes im fascinated with all things british.

19. satanicSkater

satanicSkater New Member

we do use 'mate' and 'crikey' but not in the same way and yes, televanglists are totally alien to us, but then again we do have Terry Wogan to make up for our loss.

20. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

I dont think that anyone in Aus uses crikey except for the Irwins. Mate on the other hand gets used by most people. One politician in a fit of moronic imbelicility tried to ban the use of mate in Parliment :rolleyes:, so we had to put up with every politician using mate 5 times a sentence. G'day mate I cant say I have heard to many people say lately.
    As for the wiggles, your all just jealous that you couldnt earn millions for wearing brightly coloured skivies and singing kids songs :p.