Boxing work against karate?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by INTERNAL BOXING, Jan 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

I seriously doubt that, Ali could take unbelievable amounts of punishment.

2. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

you are kidding right? doesn't matter how tough you are, everyone takes the same amount of time to get choked out, and everyone will tap to an armbar/kneebar/kimura.

and look at mark hunt vs yoshida. compared to yoshida, Hunt is a GOD when it comes to striking. there is no chance in all of hell that yoshi could beat Hunt in a stand up fight. but even with months of training and having a very solid build, yoshi could still take him down and submit him.

Ali vs any top MMA fighter would be a short fight indeed, and I would bet my money on the mma fighter.

3. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

THANK YOU

an intelligent person who is suceptable to LOGIC!!! JOY. THERE MUST BE A GOD.

4. NaughtyKnight

Whos down for getting them together and seeing. Would be a laugh eitherway. Have to go back in time and get the old Ali though.

5. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

we'll dig up zombie bruce lee while we're at it, maybe mas oyama too

6. NaughtyKnight

7. The Viking

The Viking Working

Bruce Lee actually said that if he fought ALi, Ali would win.

8. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

something about how his hands were the size of dinner plates wasnt it :D

9. NaughtyKnight

I guess we will never know. Jacki Chan said the same thing.

10. The Viking

The Viking Working

yeh and i think that he was too fast a puncher.

11. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

I've noticed most people have interpretted "a boxer vs. a karateka" as "a boxer vs. Tyson/Ali." Just to be fair, would you put the average boxer up against Mas Oyama? Not to be mean, I don't recall Mike Tyson ever killing a bull with his bare hands.

But really, is using the legendary fighters of boxing/karate as standards fair?
    I think it was said in the first page or two, but it bears repeating. Boxing can defeat karate. Karate can defeat boxing. Bagua can defeat judo. Drunken Boxing can beat Tang Soo Do. Style X can defeat Style Y, and Style Y can defeat Style X.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2005
  12. GojuKJoe

GojuKJoe Valued Member

It truly does depend on the individual. You could give me any boxer, and if I looked hard enough, I think I'd most likely be able to find a karateka that could beat them, and vice versa. They both have advantages, boxers are extremely good punchers and any good one is probably decent with headbutts and elbows, but a good karateka should be able to fight from any distance and from any position, so that would be a big advantage.

13. NaughtyKnight

LOL. I cant believe this thread is still open. I was gone for a week and expected all my fav threads to be closed.

14. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

If it was full contact, and the most highly trained karateka fought the highest trained boxer, say a heavyweight champion, i.e. Lewis or Tyson... And both were same weight class... I would give it too the karateka. Simply because he has low kicks. A boxer may train to get hit in the body and face, but not the legs. And they aren't trained to fight bareknuckled. That changes a lot of things in a fight, namely the change from KO power to pain power.

15. notquitedead

notquitedead used to be Pankration90

The only full contact, bareknuckle karate tournaments I know of are kyokushin, and those don't allow punching to the face.

16. NaughtyKnight

I've never seen Karate training in Bare knuckles.

You can only kick when you have the range remember. The boxer will not give you the distance to do a nice kick, and as soon as you take your foot off the ground you will get hit soo hard in the face you'll end up falling head first into the ground.

17. Goju

Goju Yellow Belt

This is true except for karatekas (are supposed to anyway) be good at both ranges and be able to move between them effectively, while boxers are masters of the punching range. Low kicks may not necessarily allow a karateka to win because a boxer has excellent footwork and will probably move in and keep the other fighter within punching range.
    This is the same issue with any fighter vs a tae kwon do practitioner. Ive heard many people say that all you need to do is get in past kicking range and you can kill a tae kwon do guy. The point they are missing is that the tkd guy is trained to defeat you at a kicking range (and yes I realize they are quite capable of arm strikes too) and you probably will have a very hard time trying to get past their legs.
    Low kicks are not the answer to beating a boxer, closing the distance probably wont work on a tkd guy, and staying on your feet and striking is easier said than done vs a grappler/ground fighting expert. Each fighter should be well trained at all the ranges and postions or at least have a way to avoid/deal with such things.

18. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

oh hell, lets not bring grappling into this or its gonna be a whole nother story.

19. NaughtyKnight

Moving out of kicking range is the only way to beat a TKDist, unless you want to exchange kicks. If I was gonna use my tkd against a boxer, I would do one low kick at his thigh or if it was on the street, then into his kneecap. After that I would get into the clinch and knee the living crap out of him.

20. samuri-man

samuri-man New Member

you should be asking yourself the same question :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.