Boxing work against karate?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by INTERNAL BOXING, Jan 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gyaku

Gyaku Valued Member

I'm sure if the boxer knew that kick's would be involved, then he'd have the common sense to breach the distance.

A fair point, but most amatuer boxers aren't really that good at doing this. They're used to closing a much shorter gap (hence the difference in footwork)If you start putting sweeps into the equation it gets sticky for the boxer. Most boxers don't have a very good lower body defense - because they don't need to.

I when I first started Martial arts, I was invited to watch a night of competition fights. One of the fights being hosted that night was a Tae Kwon Do practitioner against a Boxer.
    I've never done TKD so I can't comment. However most Goju & Shotokan karateka are fairly useful at punching range, they can hit just as hard and as fast. Of the boxers I've trained with I could hold my own quite easily in the hands department and I've trained with some good ones.

Also once the range shuts down completly, we're talking judicious use of elbows and knees by the karateka. Again from a tactical point of view, the boxer simply won't be used to this. He won't have a solid game plan to counter them. Apart from rabbit punches he's in a 'no-technique' zone, which is the worst place to be.

2. binski20

binski20 Valued Member

While boxers do not train the same variety of weapons in the very very close range, dont be fooled. Many many are trained to use headbutts and elbows in this range, as well as how to punch as best as they can. They also can also tie an opponents arms up, which doesn't eliminate a throw by any means but is still a tool.

What this comes down to is training. If a karateka trained in the same manner as a boxer, I would be afraid of him.

3. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

i agree. once he gets into the clinch or the point blank range and starts throwning some knees and elbows, {which are more powerful and harder than most punches. game over. get a mop.

4. Gyaku

Gyaku Valued Member

That is true, but mainly only the pros, even then not to the pedigree of a karateka, in fact if I were to fight a pro, its exactly what I'd do. But a good point though.

5. binski20

binski20 Valued Member

One more post on this thread.

Kicks, knees, knees, elbows, headbutts .....all great techniques.
    Nothing is automatic however. That is the nature of fighting. You can learn all the techniques you want, the application is the big factor. THAT is where boxing gains it's biggest strength from. Boxers train in a variety of fashions to help develop their skills, and then they apply them, over and over and over. I am not saying that no other styles do this, just that it is a key.

Have you ever taken out someones legs when they were trying to come at you full force? Have you ever been close quarters with an opponent trying to actually knock you out?

IF you look at the styles generally considered to more effective than others, they all have this in common. Boxing, muay thai, jui jitsu and even judo to a certain extent employ this training. Techniques are taught, refined and then put to practice against an opponent in a live sparring situationnot touch/no contact. Boxers and thai boxers spar full contact, hitting and being hit. Jiu jitsu and judo practitioners throw and grapple, while their opponent is attempting the same.

Like I said previously, if a karateka, or any style for that matter, trains in this fashion they are a force to be reckoned with.

6. hunter_kaval

hunter_kaval The Ronin

Iam no striking expert but that is one of the most sensible things i have ever heard.

7. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

That's why they pay me the big bucks.:D

8. Linguo

Linguo Valued Member

I think Yuki's point was that closing the distance against kicks can be accomplished by a boxer without that much difficulty.

Fair point. Boxers arent trained to deal with knees and elbows, but that doesn't mean a boxers don't have an inside game of their own. Boxers can still launch hooks and uppercuts at a close range with devastating results. How developed that game is depends on the boxer.

9. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

If you get in close range with a decent boxer, you'd better keep your chin tucked in, and your jaw shut.

10. Gyaku

Gyaku Valued Member

This is true for a pro, but not amateur. Even Ali as an amateur had little if any close game, pro Ali was a different creature. Very few amatuers have a close game, you only need to look at the recent Commonwealth games or Olympics to see my point. They were great on the outside, but once it moved inside, it became a no-technique brawl.

I've little Thai boxing experience, but again amateur boxers don't do very much full contact sparring, even pros will restrict this - simply because when you go full contact you get hurt. In fact most amateurs sparring (in training, not in compitition obviously) is the same level of cantact that karateka do - without the protective gear.

The kind of sparrimg that amateurs do doesn't have much more intensity or resistance than most karateka, so to say that they have this natural advantage because of the way they train is simply not true.

I think we need to be fair and compare amateur boxers with amateur karateka. Nice points though guys.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2005
  11. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Most amature boxers get put through a fair bit of conditioning; various drills, timed rounds of sparring, skipping.

I personally have never seen, or been to a Karate school which puts their students through any form of conditioning which would result in breaking a sweat.

I would still place my money on the boxer.

12. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Most definately. Boxers are worked like no tomorrow. I remember watching my mate doing crunches. The coach was smacking him in the guts, so funny.

13. Jim Sorensen

Jim Sorensen Valued Member

Hm. Interesting thread.

Well, there was a fight where Muhammad Ali fought a Japanese Karateka. Ali ended up walking out of the ring with his legs bruised and beat up pretty badly.

Boxers have the upper hand in punching, no doubt about that, but...they don't kick. And kicks are wonderful tools. :)

14. binski20

binski20 Valued Member

Could have fooled me.......all my sparring has been full contact. Beginners and sparring in general is not a full out assault simply to prevent injury, but it is still full contact.

15. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

My jaw's still aching from boxing sparring last night! :) finding it kinda difficult to chew any solid food.

16. Trent Tiemeyer

That was pro wrestler Antonio Inoki, and he wouldn't stand up with Ali at all.

[​IMG]

17. Jim Sorensen

Jim Sorensen Valued Member

UFC has limited rules, but it isn't reality. Reality is unlimited time, no rules, no padding.

18. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

LOL that photo rules 1ONE :D You seem to have a collection of wacky photo's! :)

19. Trent Tiemeyer

Google is my friend, Yuki.

20. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Boxers not sparing full contact? I dont think so. How else would they spar, I doubt they use the TKD point sparing system. :cool:

Great pick 1ONE lol, Ali always looks like a nut in every picture I see of him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.