Boxing with contact lenses?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Spaceghost, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Spaceghost

Spaceghost New Member

Hi there,

I wish to start boxing but my eye sight is not so good so I was wondering how to get around this? Clearly glasses cannot be used in the ring but what about contacts? I've never been hit in the eye with them in so I cannot say if they would fall out or move and cause my vision to go blurry.

There must be boxers that wear contacts right? Or is good vision one of the requirements before stepping in the ring, in which case that will be quite disappointing for me.

Thanks

2. MoonwayRenegade

MoonwayRenegade New Member

I box with contacts in. You can certainly wear them, although they do sometimes get knocked out. It's a pain in the rear end but it shouldn't stop you if you love boxing. I wear disposable lenses so if I happen to lose one it's no big deal; you just have to remember that although you can stop your sparring partner if one falls out in a match you just have to finish the fight without it.

3. What is your prescription. What type of contact lenses do you wear?

4. MoonwayRenegade

MoonwayRenegade New Member

I'm not sure what my perscription is, but I wear soft, disposable contacts.

5. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I wear soft disposable lenses and my eyesight is pretty poor. (Arm's length short sighted) I've only ever had it knocked out once or twice and I had some pretty harsh straight eye shots.

Although I do think eyesight is a requirement in pro boxing. I remember reading that somewhere. But correct me if i'm very wrong.

6. Spaceghost

Spaceghost New Member

At the moment I have soft monthly ones but by the time I sign up for boxing they should be selling daily ones in my prescription.

Thanks for the help.

7. Are you long or short sighted?
    Post your prescription. It will be easier to advise you.

8. Spaceghost

Spaceghost New Member

I'm short sighted, I can't remember what my prescription is.

9. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Overall contacts don't really pose much of a problem for boxing.

Most disposables (maybe all) are of the soft variety so your eye can't get damaged by them if they pop out or roll around.

Disposables are relatively inexpensive so it's not even a big problem cash wise.

I wear contacts and have fought competitively with them in both Muay Thai and in Boxing... and yes I've had one of them knocked out before... not that big of a deal.

10. Samuelagaray

Samuelagaray New Member

Do not wear contacts while boxing or training.
    You may cause permanent damage to your eyes.

11. Jabby Mcgee

Jabby Mcgee Valued Member

^don't listen to this guy......^

12. Willsy

Willsy 'Ello love

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011