Boxing gloves

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by SCP_Kensei, Aug 2, 2005.

1. SCP_Kensei

SCP_Kensei www.taintedlover.com

I hope to start fighting in a few months (Muay Thai), and when I do i'd like to get the best equipment possible.

What are, in your opinion,m they best available lace up professional boxing gloves?

What kind of gloves do the big names use?

2. Hades

Hades the deskjob boxer

www.google.com may provide you with the right equipment and answers ;)

3. Origami Itto

Origami Itto Walking Paths

Yay, QR working again!

Actually this is the sort of thing that would best be answered in a forum. Google may help you find "what kind of gloves the big names use", but here you could ask people what you should look for in a boxing glove and what to avoid, maybe even how different brands feel.

4. SCP_Kensei

<Removed>. I've been searching google for a variety of different gloves.

What I was after were the "Opinions" of the more seasoned boxers on this forum.

I have looked at the following:

http://www.prosportuk.com/detail/10/34/1473 Everlast Tiger

http://store.everlastboxing.com/everlast-pro-boxing-glove.html Everlasdt Pro fight

http://www.mastersken.com/forms/Fairtex/Gloves/BGL1.htm Fairtex Professional Fight

http://store.titleboxing.com/title-pro-mex-pro-fight-gloves.html Pro-Mex fight gloves

I dont really know my **** from my elbow when it comes to boxing gloves. Hence Why I am asking

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2005
  5. Hades

Hades the deskjob boxer

hey, just fooling around a bit mate...

well, I'm not a prof-boxer, but I do boxing for 2,5 years now, and well.. I've aways used standard Everlast 12oz Gloves... I believe they're called Queens or something..

They're quite stuffed for 12oz..

I like 'em...

I don't know if you use standard boxing gloves in a Muay Thai match... or if they use other sizes..

maybe your gym has his own club-gloves?? with name and so on on it??

6. SCP_Kensei

Nah our gym doesnt have their own gloves, and beside I really want to go for the recognised "Best" (i'm kinda like that I want the very best of everything that there is).

I'm really looking ofr a pair as god as possible that also comes in black, it's kind of my colour.

7. Hades

Hades the deskjob boxer

Then I would advice Everlast 12oz Queens boxing gloves... mine are in black so..

Mohammed Ali and lots of others wore them... so..

8. Adsy

Adsy Valued Member

If your doing muay thai, you may as well stick the main thai brands. The thai brands as used in thai camps are extremely well made, as they have to be able to stand up to the rigerous training. As a result they dont fall apart after a few months as some cheaper gloves do.

The best made thai equipment is Fairtex, Windy and Twins. Windy is the oldest manufacturer of thai gear in thailand and is very good quality. Fairtex is a newer brand of equipment but is backed by the reputation of the faitex muay thai camp in BKK home of numerous stadium fighters, and is very well made kit, they now sponsor a lot of fighters in teh west and UFC and K1 fighters also. Twins is the thai brand most exported around the world and therefore the most popular. Very good quality but recently a lot of people have complained that the velco starts wearing out after a few months. (nota problem if yoru buying lace ups of course) MTG is a brand out of thailand which is also great quality and a lot the less expensive so its very good value.

Also consider Brit boxing manufacture Title, again excellent top quality gear you cant go wrong with. Everlast stuff in Europe is made under lisence, and i dont know the level of quality compared to the USA gear.

The best fight glove bar none is Cleto Reyes of mexico but you better get saving, thereofore for muay thai, go with what the thai's wear, Windy Twins or Fairtex all the way!

9. SCP_Kensei

I'm pretty familiar with the Muay Thai brands, however I'm not lookignfor a glove for training. I want a special pair that only sees light of day when I fight.

I find that having a focus like that helps me get in the right frame of mind for situations like this and shuts out other distractions/gives me confidence.

Cleto Reyes you say?, I 'll look into them.

Checked Google, they aren't too expensive, looks tempting.

10. creswell

creswell New Member

Grant boxing gloves also from mexico have a pretty good reputation.

Personally though, i tend to stick with fairtex (pro gear), twins or title...a gloves a glove.

11. SCP_Kensei

Well I can get Cleto Reyes Competitoion gloves for $99.99 which is way way cheaper than the UK (a quarter of the price), and still a lot cheaper than everlast over here so I thinkI may have found my gloves.

12. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

dont buy gloves "just for a fight". the gloves are provided by the promoter when you fight. and they are different each time. i have uses twins, windy, century , everlast and reyes.

the thing is the two fighters have to have the same glove.

btw i think the reyes suck, i used 10 oz reyes. they are filled with horse hair and most of the padding is in the wrist. great for knock outs but almost like not wearing one at all. one of the lightwights in our gym fought that night with 8oz. you could feel the knuckle through the pad.(and these were brand new.

if you use reyes for training ..you will not be the most popular guy in the gym.

for training i would suggest at least 14 oz...unless you cant hit :)

right now im using 16 oz windy...but im not to happy with them

13. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

ermm... not neccessarily true mate. I've fought many times (both Muay Thai and Boxing) and brought my own. Gloves have to be the same weight of course - but many fighter in addition to myself have shown up with their own gloves.

Believe me... promoters are the cheapest people on the planet... they don't want to spend on anything they don't have to.

As for the gloves:

Fairtex
    Windy
    ThaiSmai
    Everlast
    Title
    MTG (which you can buy in the grocery market in Bangkok! LOL!)

are all decent brands. Best is subjective... especially when it comes to something like boxing gloves.

Take a look around.

14. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

wow i showed up to a fight with my own gloves and they acted like i should have my head examined, i was read the riot act, laughed at, called a rookie, and overall acted like i started the cicago five or something.

however i was once with a pal of mine, who is a prominent nhb fighter and he was wearing a pair of bag gloves that had to be about 2 years old and were pounded flat..i mean just leather. i cant believe they let him use them

if i was to bing my own it would be reyes (due to lack of padding)

promoters are cheap. i dont know how many times i was offered money. and when i got down there it was "oh..we will just pay your hotel and travel"
    it was never any big money so i never cared. but they are cheap

15. Shantari

Shantari Valued Member

CLETO REYES, gotta go with reyes man

16. NakMuay

NakMuay New Member

Cleto Reyes "the gloves of the champions". Can't beat Cleto (and often can't afford them either).

17. South Paw

South Paw New Member

I have used many gloves but would say the following are very good (rank in top 5 best brands):

1. Fairtex
    2. Winning
    3. Windy
    4. Twins
    5. Reyes

I haved tried Thais Mai. Cheap price but I got what I paid for. I tried Ringside but found out it was made in Thailand by Windy. So I do not rank Ringside on the list. Everlast...what a joke for a well established brand. Title is ok. Someone told me it was made by Twins..So they are also dropped from the top 5 ranking.

18. TNT Tommy

TNT Tommy New Member

I've been in fights where they supply the gloves and I've been in fights where you can wear your own.

My top choices

1. Fairtex
    2. Twins
    3. Cleto Reyes

If your gloves don't have these brand names on them, you're wasting your money.

Just my 2 cents.

TNT Tommy :woo: