Boxing: Can you teach yourself?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Mu Ryuk, Sep 16, 2004.

1. Mu Ryuk

Mu Ryuk Banned Banned

Hey all,

I've been wanting to pick up Boxing for a while, as our Dojang (Tang Soo Do) doesn't focus very much on hands. Unfortunately there are no Boxing gyms closer than Santa Cruz, a forty-five minute drive if there's no traffic.

I know the basics of Boxing...keep your elbows tucked in to block body shots, pop your hands to block a punch at the head, make sure you keep your head low and your chin ducked. So my question is: Can I teach myself Boxing with knowledge of the basics?

I have permission to Box in the Dojang as long as we don't get out of control, we have focus mitts to do drills with, a heavy bag, and we can get a speed bag. I also know some people who can help me out a little bit. There are at least two other students of the Dojang (both Cho Dan's) who want to do Boxing.

Any suggestions, criticism, or calling me an idiot? It's all appreciated :D

Tang Soo!

2. semphoon

semphoon walk idiot, walk.

With knowledge of the basics you will only ever know the basics. There are lots of subtle things in boxing that make all the difference.

I believe that you really need a coach/trainer but if that is not avalible then you do the best you can with what is avalible/realistic.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.

3. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

I think this question is not specific to boxing. Any skill is always better learned with a certified coach and with a variety of partners to really hone your skills. Of course if you have no access to a coach you can always work on skill sets on your own, just realise that they would be exponentially better with a good coach.

4. JKD guy

JKD guy New Member

yes

I taught myself to box. But yes, there are also things that I do wrong that only a teacher can point out to you. But it is definitely possible. There are many basic boxing books that you can use.

5. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

you can teach yourself to be a poor boxer, thats true enough. if none of you have been taught by someone who knows his stuff, you wont realise when you are making mistakes.

6. kevamania

kevamania Valued Member

A coach would be best but if not you could go ahead and train yourself.You will probab;y pick up bad habits though,so when you go to a boxing club they will be hard to break.
    why not practice at home and go to the boxing gym every 2-3 weeks and let the coach see your progression and what to work on and how to go about it.
    Explain your situation and he/she will be impressed with your dedication

7. shootodog

shootodog restless native

i like this suggestion. it's the one that makes most sense.

8. Mu Ryuk

Mu Ryuk Banned Banned

I wish...but I don't drive. My mom works full time, and my dad's teaching season is about to start, so by the end of the month they'll both be working full time...I'll be lucky if once a week I get a ride to the Dojang, and that'll be Thursday, because Roland goes in on Thursday for the entire day and he can pick me up on the way...I'll be walking three miles there and three miles back pretty much every day except Saturday. No fun :(

9. alex_000

alex_000 You talking to me?

You can teach yourself to do the basics and thats better than nothing. One important aspect of boxing is sparring and you need someone to fight and someone to watch you and correct your mistackes.

Find a guy to show you the stance and how to do the jab the cross and the hook (someone who knows boxing not someone who knows something else). That will only take about an hour. Practice them as much as you can on the heavy bag with gloves and on the air (shadowboxing) for a couple of weeks and them find him again to corect your mistakes. Then practice again and corect them . What you'll have in the end is only a small fragment of real boxing with some problems but its a lot better from nothing.

good luck.

10. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

11. JKD guy

JKD guy New Member

mirror

I would recommend getting a full length mirror. Watch yourself as you train. Try to view openings and weaknesses in your style, as an opponent would.

But having a real boxing trainer is obviously better. I mean, it is like anything. You can teach yourself to golf or ski or play tennis, but obviously, having a trainer is far better.

Still, if you can find no trainer, I would teach myself. There are books like the one by Doug Werner that are great intros. You can get it on www.amazon.com.