boxers in MMA

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Nimrook, Nov 10, 2003.

1. Nimrook

Nimrook New Member

I just had a very long discussion with my boxing instructor as to why boxers are overall better fighters then mixed martial arts competitors.
    At first I was a bit skeptic then what he said started making alot of sense. Now watch almost all mma competitions, alot of them come out throw a few punches then go into a clinch up against the ring or fence, and they sit their waiting for the other to make a move. What he explained to me was that a straight boxer, that rammed a guy into the fence would then just take a step back and start hammering the hell out of the other guy. To give me an example he said Vitor Belfort. Now Vitor just stand their in a clinch usually, he usually trys to put room between them to start punching. And I started to think afterwards, why don't mma fighters do that more often?

I don't beleive that boxers are smarter or better then mma fighters, but they don't just sit their and wait when the fight could already be over with after a flurry of punches.

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

A Boxer trained in enough MMA to ensure he can maintain his optimum position would be a good formula. But then he'd be a MMA fighter :D

Using Vitor Belfort as an example is a poor one - he's a BJJ fighter who also has decent boxing skills.

A straight boxer - no MMA training - would get taken out pretty quick (and has done too)

3. Nimrook

Nimrook New Member

I don't know about that one Yoda, my instructor is a straight boxer and he has a perfect 8-0 record in MMA. Granted they were all held here in Alaska, but he totally dominated every fight.

4. Pika

Pika New Member

Nimrook, there is always an exception to every rule.

Yoda is correct, straight boxers with no grappling have had no real success in MMA. As for Vitor, considering he is a black belt in BJJ, he has the luxury of having his competitors fear his ground game as much as his boxing, a no win situation.

5. Vincenzo

Vincenzo New Member

Yeah and the bjj gave him excellent take down defense so there was no retreating against him.

6. thiaboxr2

thiaboxr2 New Member

Keep in mind that you can't compare your instructor's fighting style, even though he has not lost in only 8 bouts and assuming he only used boxing skills, to other martial artists he won against.

Your instructor only represents one persons skill with boxing, not every boxer. Granted, he may have tremendous speed and power in his punches, footwork may be better than his opponents.

But what were the skills of his opponents? They may or may not have been trained properly, may not have been properly prepared. Don't worry, i'm not sticking up for them. Just saying that what works for one person(your instructor)may not work for someone else.

Boxing is effective, even more effective with some groundwork. Toss in some thia kicks and then you have your way of dealing with opponents from the ground up.:)

7. YODA

Sounds like quite a fighter - what's his name and what events has he fought in?

Should be interesting to see what happens when he steps up to the next level.

8. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

But isn't the point of MMA that eventually if you only have one tactic (i.e. making a space and then blasting with punches ). Then someone is going to come along with the tools to beat this strategy.

Have you considered the possbility your instructor has not met this person yet?

9. Nimrook

Nimrook New Member

Oh no I'm not saying that a straight boxer will outhink, out manuever, or even out punch anybody.
    I'm pointing out how that just because most straight boxers don't do well in MMA, doesn't mean that they don't have the potential to do great.
    And if you watch Vitors fights closely, you'll notice that he doesn't really rely on his BJJ background most of the time, most of his wins are by knockout or ref stoppage. Maybe since he is so confident in his ground game that he doesn't even worry about potential takedowns, that is a question to ask the man yourself.

I just had a thought that is a bit off the subject, but it is still valid to this thread. How many pure strikers have ever held a UFC, Pride, or any other MMA title? I honestly can't think of any. Bas Rutten, and Maurice Smith were both kickboxers, but they had extensive experience on the ground as well. There have been tons of pure grapplers who have brought home titles, but no pure strikers that I can think of...

So maybe pure striking is just completely obsolete in MMA?

10. YODA

About this instructor of yours...

Sounds like quite a fighter - what's his name and what events has he fought in?

11. Nimrook

Nimrook New Member

His name is Bryan Ryan (he's heard all the jokes beleive me). He has fought in King of the Cage, and Rage in the Cage both held locally in Anchorage and Fairbanks.

12. Nimrook

Nimrook New Member

Oh, and he took 2nd in the Toughman Nationals a few years ago, you might be able to find him their as well.

13. Pika

Pika New Member

Nimrook, Vitor is not necessarily winning the fight with his BJJ, but his skills on the ground give him the luxury to use his stand up skill to win fights. The mere fact he can work well on the mat, means that his opposition change the entire way they approach the fight.

14. Pika

Pika New Member

Bryan Ryan has two wins in Rage of the Cage via submission. I think this means he is not a pure boxer......

15. pimphand

pimphand New Member

Anyone remember Art Jimmerson, a by then journeyman pri boxer, taking part in UFC1?

I believe he wore an 8oz boxing glove on one hand and was dealt with quick. Pure comedy.

Laterly boxers have seen an opening in K1. There is alot of money involved in these tourneys, but the skill levels required are (relative to boxing) fairly low.

Tyson signed (though is unlikely to fight) Frans Botha has had a crack and I believe that Vince Phillips is due to fight in the middleweight K1 show. Fascinating to see the styles clash.

16. Nimrook

Nimrook New Member

your right, my bad. I called him as soon as I read your post Pika. He never told me. I thought he was a straight boxer, simply because he always talks about how boxers are better then mixed martial artists.

Sorry didn't mean to put you all on like that.

17. Pika

Pika New Member

No probs mate. Boxing and grappling is a great combination.

When is your instructors next match? I wish him luck.

18. stump

stump Supersub

A number of British MMAers have come from boxing.....Sol Gilbert nds Ian Butlin to name two. Its a great competitive base to start from for MMA.

I doubt anyone would be foolish enough to step into an MMA match without at least a rudimentary knowledge of all ranges.

19. Nimrook

Nimrook New Member

In all honesty he's not really all that interested in getting back into MMA, we recently celebrated his 30th birthday, and he has yet to go pro in boxing (which is his dream).

20. pimphand

pimphand New Member

30 sounds a little old to be turning pro in boxing to be fair...

Most fighters will already have passed their peak by this point, unless they are heavyweights...