Bouncer gets knocked out by drunk guy at bar

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by EdiSco, Jun 10, 2018.

1. EdiSco

EdiSco Likes his anonymity

This is shocking.

1. The punch could easily have been block - even with basic boxing training
    2. what's more shocking is how the bouncers handled the situation - the other bouncers should've been more alert and proactive and rather than trying to separate the two.
    3. I got a strong feeling bouncer just acting being knocked out? to get compensation and knowing he has evidence, thought the drunk would get a longer sentence? Any thoughts? The drunk guy was pathetic, he signaled his punch so obviously!

MOD Note. I'll allow this because there is discussion to be had, but there is bad language in the video, so as well as this note I've added spoilers.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2018
  2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Interesting stuff. Awfully nice for a bouncer too.

Knee Rider likes this.
  3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

This is the UK, he's unlikely to get compensation, and probably will find it difficult to get work after being embarrassed like that on TV.

Van Zandt, axelb and Knee Rider like this.
  4. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

That shouldn't have happened.

5. EdiSco

Here's another beauty I came across: machete fight in Glasgow, Scotland in the middle of the main road in broad daylight - typical day in weegieland :D:p:rolleyes:

Link removed.

I can't believe I'm finding this funny!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2018
  6. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Very sorry, but I've removed the last link.

There is discussion to be had regarding the first video, but the second one just breaks the family friendly rules, despite the spoilers.

EdiSco likes this.
  7. EdiSco

Agreed. This actually happened last week. It's in a newspaper too. Unbelievable. What's happening to this country...

8. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Just my personal observations/opinions:

I disagree boxing would have done much good to the victim in the original situation. Doing boxing makes you better at doing boxing; granted there's carryover to violence outside of the gym but even the skills of Lomachenko wouldn't have helped the victim in the video because he didn't see the sucker punch coming. I'd wager his assaulter has done this more than once, and he's therefore probably quite good at recognising the most opportune time to strike.

I agree the team dynamics between the security staff were shockingly bad. The quality of most bouncers these days is trash. This is the problem with the SIA allowing people to get badged for door work after just a weekend course. An SIA badge and clean DBS doesn't mean someone isn't an asshat or can work effectively with others.

I don't believe the victim was playing being knocked out. But that's my interpretation from the footage.

9. EdiSco

The moment before he just strikes, he actually pulls the bouncer's arm/hand down to clear way and then you can see his shoulder swing back to load - that's a major warning sign. Instinct would be to slip/shoulder raise/head movement/duck/footwork if not enough time to put hands up?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  10. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

I'd say he had tunnel vision due to adrenaline and focusing on the other threat.

11. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Yeah, that's all fine and dandy when we're sat in the comfort of our homes watching a video playback of the event after the fact. We don't know where the victim was looking (we're seeing the perspective of a bodycam, not a pair of eyes) or what physiological state he was in as a response to stress (e.g., tunnel vision as Knee Rider said). You also appear to be under the impression that he has (or should have) boxing experience. He may have none.

12. EdiSco

The threat on right was kind of being watched by the bouncer on the right (although he's big (bouncer on right), I thought he was being useless in this situation!). When a really drunk person is using that kind of body language and threatening behavior, I would assume any bouncer with reasonable intelligence would not be looking at his shoes but the person who just pulled his arm down. All threats were in front of him. As I said there was a bouncer on his right. But yeah, it's possible he was focusing on the guy on the right in case he attacked the other bouncer and the drunk saw this as an opportunity to wack him.

As for boxing experience, I assume all bouncers are trained on how to defend against punches and headbutts?!!! This ought to be minimum requirement? Come on....please.

Also, do you think there are better martial arts/training methods than boxing that have better defense against punching? I'd like to be educated! I believe boxing is far superior for this purpose.

I just think the drunk was a bit too drunk to land a heavy enough shot to knock out a bouncer who I assume was bigger than him? I'm still skeptical about this whole thing.

Fighting a drunk is very dangerous indeed however drunks don't exactly have great hand to eye coordination as well as vision?

There's something fishy about this video....

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

It was the words "come on". The bouncer was trying to use it to mean "come on guys...move along...you have to leave".
    The "puncher" took it to mean "come on! let's have a fight!" and obliged.
    Can't help thinking the bouncer was from a different part of the country and there was something lost in translation?

Anyway...I detest drunk people.

axelb, Dead_pool and EdiSco like this.
  14. EdiSco

Never realized that....

People are going to hate me for saying this but Alcohol needs to be better restricted/controlled....it causes a lot of harm to society as well as family life....it's at least as dangerous as cigarette smoking yet taxed so little compared to tobacco.

15. Dead_pool

Whilst I don't disagree overall, spirits are heavily taxed, for example:

"Spirit Duty. You pay £28.74 of SpiritDuty per litre of pure alcohol. TheSpirit Duty you pay on a 1 litre bottle of 40% ABV vodka is 40% of £28.74, or £11.50."

Like the sugar tax, I think as a society its a good thing, however, ideally it shouldn't apply to me.

axelb likes this.
  16. Dead_pool

[QUOTE="EdiSco]
    As for boxing experience, I assume all bouncers are trained on how to defend against punches and headbutts?!!! This ought to be minimum requirement? [/QUOTE]

Nope, but the ones who survive a few months tend to get better at it.

David Harrison and Simon like this.
  17. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Starts way earlier than that. The head bouncer makes a huge mistake right at the start. He confronts the drunk guy leaning against the pillar on his own and starts talking to him reasonably before quickly going to "I don't give a faeces..."

He either needs to be much better at verbal judo, or he needs to be there mob handed so they can get that guy straight out the door with no messing about. Once he's out, he needs significant back up from staff to keep the door clear.

We don't know anything about the situation, but maybe there's only him and the other doorman there in a big pub with multiple entrances, but that was poor use of resources and control. Identify the trouble maker and get him out quick.

20 years ago, the drunk guy would have been blindsided, woken up in the alley behind the pub after a proper kicking, and crawled home to lick his wounds. He's lucky we live in kinder times, but that requires more of doormen, and more of them.

Simon, Knee Rider and Dead_pool like this.