Bloodsport - Jean Claud Van Damme (1988)

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by AJS-TKD, Apr 28, 2014.

1. AJS-TKD

AJS-TKD Valued Member

Hi Giovanni, I have seen loads of movies in my lifetime so far, I was really only referring to Bloodsport as being my favourite MA movie :)

2. Fujimoru

Fujimoru Valued Member

yea bloodsport is a classic , that and kickboxer are my fave van damme movies.

3. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

cool.

i'm partial to 60's samurai movies coming out of japan. personally. seven samurai is actually my favorite movie of all time, not even counting any genre. as far as more modern ma movies, i'm partial, right now mind you, to red belt and warrior. again, only my opinion.

cheers.

4. EmptyHandGuy

EmptyHandGuy Valued Member

Was't that Cyborg? I remember reading the exact same thing about cyborg before its release that it was a complete mess and Van Damme edited it and added in the voice overs etc to make the movie make some sense!

5. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

2nd "Seven Samurai" except that it is not a JCVD movie! :p
    Actually, I might rate "Twilight Samurai" above "Seven." Or just say they tie for 1st place. :p

Last edited: May 15, 2014
  6. robin101

robin101 Working the always shift.

you only say that because its your biopic.

7. robin101

robin101 Working the always shift.

HARD TARGET. Awsome movie. JCVD is a kung fu hobo in it. What more do you need?

8. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

Bolo Yeung.

9. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

How can anyone forget the magnificence of Timecop or Street Fighter? In all seriousness, this is pretty badass:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVzAMmpMra8"]It was Tuesday - Street Fighter 1994 - YouTube[/ame]

10. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

twilight samurai is a great movie. i'm also partial to sword of doom. but that's not exactly a happy go lucky kind of movie.

as i mentioned before, i think hard target is his best. although bloodsport and jcvd are both fine star vehicles for him.

11. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Was there ever a Bloodsport II?

12. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Yep, not to mention a 3 & a 4, all which saw Daniel Bernardt taking up pole position in the lead role.

Travess

13. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

And doing an admirable impersonation of Van Damme to boot. They could have probably made it the same character without raising eyebrows, had that character not already been faithfully based on a very realistic real person. :rolleyes:

14. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

On a sidenote, as Kickboxer has been raised several times in this thread, I'd love to meet the knucklehead who chose to give the Kickboxer franchise to Sasha Mitchell. Olivier Gruner had apparently auditioned to take it over. An actual kickboxer. Who's French for God's sake. The country that Van Damme's character is said to have been living in for the past couple of decades. How could they ask for a better setup than that?!

But they give it to the guy who played Cody in a sitcom. Mitchell, to his credit, did seem to learn some genuine muay thai as the series went on. But that first sequel was dire.

15. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

Oh come on - he wasn't THAT bad...

:D

16. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I think there was a 3 year period in the early 90s when he put out some decent stuff. The Kung Fu/Shane mashup Nowhere to Run is quite good, and the original Universal Soldier is also a decent film. Obviously Hard Target is a great actioner and Timecop is surprisingly decent. For an old school Van Damme fix you've gotta love Double Impact.
    Shame it all went to hell when he did Street Fighter.

17. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Touche. :)

I liked Daniel Bernhardt. I actually just watched his "True Vengeance" again the other day. It's the "Citizen Kane" of George Kee Cheung-as-bad-guy movies.

18. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

From my stash.....

Attached Files:

19. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Fun fact: Erik Paulson was in Bloodsport 3

20. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

And his scenes are on Killer Leglocks volume 2