BJJ slamming vs wrestling slamming

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by roninmaster, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Thank you for explaining the why it is a takedown worth points. I wish i was a competitor, as i would understand this much more.

Since im now discussing past the limits of my grappling knowledge im just going to listen now. I clearly dont have enough experience.

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Southpaw hit it in one.

As for the video of the two girls, I didn't post it, Fusen did, best to ask him :)

3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

She used the space underneath her to drop dern's hips negate her attack and pass her guard, all keeping in good posture without having to slam her, not slamming is often the better option then slamming someone and giving away your posture and passing opportunity.

This also allows gabi the chanceto compete agaisnt much smaller opponents without risking their In jury.

Theres a good mma match with saul rogers (I think) that shows this via a darce pickup. Ill see if I can find it

4. Pretty In Pink

Kron Gracie pulled guard in an MMA match not two days ago.

5. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

Yes, and it's rarely done in high level MMA. If he tries that against any of the more competent wrestlers in the UFC he will be in a bad situation.

6. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Against a nobody though. I'm interested to see what happens with him, but I'm not holding my breath for the next Maia. The Gracies time in mma is over unless one of them finally acknowledges the sport as it is now.

7. Dead_pool

Interestingly maia only got good again once he stopped trying to knock people out and restarted his grappling focus having gone through a phase of intergrating his striking.

Kron could be great, but it could all go so wrong if his specific mma training isn't handled correctly.

The gracies main problem is being offered big paydays too easily.

8. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Yep. I can't remember his name, but I remember a Gracie in the prelims ages ago who got soundly beaten and was never heard from again. Felt really sad watching it because it was very clear he wasn't ready for the ufc but had got in based on his name. I can't tell anymore if the Gracies have been blinded by their legacy, or if they're being screwed by the fans remembering it.

9. Dead_pool

10. MaxSmith

MaxSmith Valued Member

It's kind of difficult to judge someone's potential on a first fight, since nerves can limit performance, but his stand up seemed pretty lackluster. Same old Gracie low lead front kick, followed by a complete lack of defense as he seemed to be getting lit up before pulling guard.

You can argue that Maia went a little too far with his K-1 Maia routine, but the improvement in his standup has definitely helped his overall game.

I'm hoping Kron either gets serious about the other aspects of MMA, or has been serious and just let nerves get to him.

But I think it's fair to say that even in victory there were a fair amount of red flags raised during that fight.

11. Dead_pool

here's some wrestling illegal slammage i've just found on youtube -

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVdnQi8OO3o"]Best Example of an Illegal Slam Ever - YouTube[/ame]

12. Pretty In Pink

No bro, slamming is totally legal in wrestling. I'm a white belt so I know what I'm talking about.

13. Dead_pool

and if youtube is anything to go by, female wrestling uses very different rules, NHB!

14. MaxSmith

MaxSmith Valued Member

The kind of female wrestling I like to watch on the Internet definitely goes by different rules

15. Combat Sports

I am not sure if this is an attempt to respond to me or not, but let me clarify something I have maintained from the start.

My suggestion is that you should look at the rules for what constitutes a legal slam in wrestling and follow them. There are ways to illegally slam in wrestling. I gave some examples of what a legal slam looks like.

16. Combat Sports

There are no belt ranks in wrestling...

17. Dead_pool

It was just an example of what slamming can do and to IIllustrate that it can be illegal, which lots of people seemed to get confused over.

Different sports different rules.

18. Dead_pool

He didnt say white belt in wrestling.

19. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Interesting that they put Gregor in with a greco wrestler in a free style match. SInce greco does not allow any lower body shoots etc then that guy would have been hampered a bit going into a freestyle match. It's not easy to break your conditioning (eg not fighting off your back in wrestling) . Have to give Gregor credit though as it's not an easy sport. Still being a Gracie you would expect that he was exposed to just about everything and anything at home ;' )

LFD

20. Combat Sports

Right, so who is he talking about then? And even if someone was a white belt what would that in any way have to do with wrestling?