BJJ in Eastern Suburbs of Sydney

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Punchy, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Punchy

Punchy Purely Practical

Are there any recommendations (from personal experience) for a good place for a beginner to learn BJJ and submission wrestling in the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney (around Randwick, Bronte, Clovelley area).

I have Googled it and know the addresses, but I would like to know if anyone has personal experience (good or bad) of the gyms in that area.

Thank you!

2. altc

altc Valued Member

Check out "Roots" bjj with Paulo Guimaraes in Bondi near the mall. Do not know if that is too far for you but I trained with Paulo for quite a few years when he first started teaching in oz. Great instructor.

Hope that helps.

3. Commander Nitro

Commander Nitro Valued Member

There are many Jiu Jitsu academies in the Sydney area one of which is Graciesydney.

4. gorinnosho

gorinnosho Kendo Addict

I think John Will's Gym is in Sydney somewhere, maybe too far away i dunno.

5. Punchy

Punchy Purely Practical

Thanks for all the advice guys!

Has anyone had any experience with a place call "The DoJo" at 79-85 Oxford St, Bondi Junction?

Also, does anyone have any experience with the Gracie BJJ group at the Bronte RSL club in McPherson Street, Bronte?

Thank you

6. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I have attended a couple of John Will seminars, absolutely amazing teacher, well worth traveling to

7. SenseiMattKlein

SenseiMattKlein Engage, Maverick

John Will is a top instructor as others have pointed out here, but his gym is in Geelong, Victoria. He does have affiliates here in Sydney, and he does come here from time to time to do seminars. He is well worth it.

8. Punchy

Punchy Purely Practical

Will Associates in Sydney

Hi SenseiMatt,

Thanks for that. Do you know which gyms his associates teach at?

9. SenseiMattKlein

SenseiMattKlein Engage, Maverick